Anyone using an iPhone4 on T-Mobile ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darthdingo, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2010
    Just curious, if anyone here has an unlocked iPhone4, running it on T-Mobile ? How does the phone run on that network ? I know it's the slower "edge" no 3G correct ? I have heard some people say that T-Mobile upgraded their Edge network, and it's almost as fast as ATT 3G ?

Can you use everything your normally could on the phone, except it's just slower ? What about navigation ?

Looking for opinions.
  2. wordoflife macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009
    You should be able to do most things. You might have problems with MMS, Facetime and visual voicemail.

T-Mobile speeds depend where you live. I really doubt T-Mobile Edge speeds are faster than AT&T 3G speeds (or at least the 3G speeds I get) but I could be wrong. Like I said, depends where you live. Go to your local T-Mobile Store, and just test the edge speed on a comparable smartphone to the iPhone. (I would test the speeds on a Samsung Android (I can't remember the name for the T-Mobile Galaxy S) or the G2). Remember to disable 3G and turn on Edge because that would simulate what you would get on an iPhone on T-Mobile.
  3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2009
    I have family members using 3G / 3GS on T-Mobile and edge is damn slow. Now way, it's as fast as AT&T 3G speeds. Personally, can't understand why bother with IPhone if you are stuck with Edge speeds.
  4. wordoflife macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009
    I agree. Sometimes I think I'd rather have an Android on T-Mobile, get 3G speeds + buy an iPod Touch for iOS :D

More expensive? Yeah ... maybe. Depends how much you can get an iPhone 4 for, actually.
  5. rgarjr macrumors 603

Apr 2, 2009
    Southern California
    a lot of people are around WIFI so they probably don't even have a Data plan.
  6. Junkboxy macrumors member

Sep 17, 2008
    I can't put my finger on the point in time, but I do think the data performance improved somewhere along the way in the 2.5 years that I've been using iPhones on T-Mo. In the beginning, it was slow. But now I consider it usable. I've used the Maps app while on the go.

Yeah, as far as I know. No visual voicemail, but GPS has always worked for me.

My iPhones were/are first-gen and 3G.
  7. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Mar 1, 2006
    Even in AT&T's poorest 3G coverage areas the speed is MUCH faster than T-Mo's EDGE.

We all complain about 3G, but the fact of the matter is the speed is pretty fast when you step back and use edge. I recently was in a city totally off the grid and used edge. It's fine for dealing with for a couple days, but certainly as a "one off" situation. I would NOT want to have to go back to using that technology. No simultaneous voice and data, and average about 200k (vs even the worst AT&T 3G spots pulls 800k)...

Guess it's all about tolerance and price. Back when T-Mo had the plan where for $60 you got everything, it may have been compelling, but honestly if AT&T 3G wasn't available for my iPhone, there's a 100% probability I'd grab the Virgin Mobile Blackberry for $35, or the Virgin Mobile Android phone for $25 a month.. just can't go back to the stone ages of 2G...
  8. Orion126 macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2010
    TMO still has a unlimited everything plans cheaper than AT&T and no contracts. I would've switched a long time ago had I not have a FAN discount though I can still save about $30-$50 per month if I went with TMO (Family plan).
  9. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Mar 1, 2006
    Yeah that's what I thought, because last time I checked it was the case. But apples-to-apples plans they're the same price now. Maybe slightly less, but roughly the same cost. T-Mo used to be way way less. Guess they're tryin to cover the cost of their "4G Network" lol
  10. jamaggic macrumors member

Feb 12, 2009
    SC, thank God
    better buy

I have four iphones on t-mob family plan, unlimited text, web, mms and 3000 shared minutes for $180/month.... much better deal than ATT. Only thing that doesn't work on t-mob is visual voicemail and I can send and receive mms to t-mob and verizon phones but can only send mms to ATT, unable to receive.
  11. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Mar 1, 2006
    Not having 3G and no mms is not comparable. And you're on a grandfathered plan anyhow
  12. sorepheet macrumors member

Oct 27, 2010
    East Coast
    T-Mobile love

Just download YouMail- I've been on TMo with my 2G iPhone for last 3 yrs. Really hoping Apple opens it up to more carriers than just VZW. :rolleyes: