Anyone using an iPhone4 on T-Mobile ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darthdingo, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Just curious, if anyone here has an unlocked iPhone4, running it on T-Mobile ? How does the phone run on that network ? I know it's the slower "edge" no 3G correct ? I have heard some people say that T-Mobile upgraded their Edge network, and it's almost as fast as ATT 3G ?

Can you use everything your normally could on the phone, except it's just slower ? What about navigation ?

Looking for opinions.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You should be able to do most things. You might have problems with MMS, Facetime and visual voicemail.

T-Mobile speeds depend where you live. I really doubt T-Mobile Edge speeds are faster than AT&T 3G speeds (or at least the 3G speeds I get) but I could be wrong. Like I said, depends where you live. Go to your local T-Mobile Store, and just test the edge speed on a comparable smartphone to the iPhone. (I would test the speeds on a Samsung Android (I can't remember the name for the T-Mobile Galaxy S) or the G2). Remember to disable 3G and turn on Edge because that would simulate what you would get on an iPhone on T-Mobile.

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

I have family members using 3G / 3GS on T-Mobile and edge is damn slow. Now way, it's as fast as AT&T 3G speeds. Personally, can't understand why bother with IPhone if you are stuck with Edge speeds.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I agree. Sometimes I think I'd rather have an Android on T-Mobile, get 3G speeds + buy an iPod Touch for iOS :D

More expensive? Yeah ... maybe. Depends how much you can get an iPhone 4 for, actually.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

a lot of people are around WIFI so they probably don't even have a Data plan.

6. Junkboxy macrumors member

I can't put my finger on the point in time, but I do think the data performance improved somewhere along the way in the 2.5 years that I've been using iPhones on T-Mo. In the beginning, it was slow. But now I consider it usable. I've used the Maps app while on the go.

Yeah, as far as I know. No visual voicemail, but GPS has always worked for me.

My iPhones were/are first-gen and 3G.

7. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Even in AT&T's poorest 3G coverage areas the speed is MUCH faster than T-Mo's EDGE.

We all complain about 3G, but the fact of the matter is the speed is pretty fast when you step back and use edge. I recently was in a city totally off the grid and used edge. It's fine for dealing with for a couple days, but certainly as a "one off" situation. I would NOT want to have to go back to using that technology. No simultaneous voice and data, and average about 200k (vs even the worst AT&T 3G spots pulls 800k)...

Guess it's all about tolerance and price. Back when T-Mo had the plan where for $60 you got everything, it may have been compelling, but honestly if AT&T 3G wasn't available for my iPhone, there's a 100% probability I'd grab the Virgin Mobile Blackberry for $35, or the Virgin Mobile Android phone for $25 a month.. just can't go back to the stone ages of 2G...

8. Orion126 macrumors regular

TMO still has a unlimited everything plans cheaper than AT&T and no contracts. I would've switched a long time ago had I not have a FAN discount though I can still save about $30-$50 per month if I went with TMO (Family plan).

9. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Yeah that's what I thought, because last time I checked it was the case. But apples-to-apples plans they're the same price now. Maybe slightly less, but roughly the same cost. T-Mo used to be way way less. Guess they're tryin to cover the cost of their "4G Network" lol

10. jamaggic macrumors member

better buy

I have four iphones on t-mob family plan, unlimited text, web, mms and 3000 shared minutes for $180/month.... much better deal than ATT. Only thing that doesn't work on t-mob is visual voicemail and I can send and receive mms to t-mob and verizon phones but can only send mms to ATT, unable to receive.

11. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Not having 3G and no mms is not comparable. And you're on a grandfathered plan anyhow

12. sorepheet macrumors member

sorepheet

T-Mobile love

Just download YouMail- I've been on TMo with my 2G iPhone for last 3 yrs. Really hoping Apple opens it up to more carriers than just VZW. :rolleyes: