Anyone using Gboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M. Gustave, Jan 22, 2017.

1. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Any of you using Google's Gboard keyboard on your iPhone?

It keeps auto-replacing "is" with "us", "or" with "do", and other bizarre choices. What am I doing wrong?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not in the least.

You asked and I replied. That is how it works. o_O

4. Djilkosh macrumors regular

Djilkosh

Maybe you should try Swiftkey. For me it is better and using two languages at the same time is priceless. Using Swiftkey since first version and I am now at 15000 words in my dictionary.

5. nordique macrumors 6502a

Hey OP I love Gboard

Have the black theme with my jet black 7

I also use google keyboard with my Daily driver (S7)

In my opinion the best keyboard on iOS is Gboard. The shape of the keys is the same as apples, you get the swipe to type function, and you can still do all the iOS 10 iMessage features. For someone like myself it is handy to also have in built multi language setting. I can switch from English to French with ease.

Plus it saves your settings which is super cool. It learns your word preference s just as well as apples keyboard.

I just wish there were more themes on iOS. Otherwise it's the way to go imo.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2017 ---
    As far as the auto replace you just have to keep using the words you prefer, it eventually figures out what you like.

As the poster above mentioned give swift key a go as well, it's a fantastic keyboard but I find googles to be even better.

6. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I love Gboard but unfortunately due to lack of missing my primary language (Dutch) I'm not switching yet from Swype to Gboard.

The problem you described is also common with other keyboard but it also depends on what you allow the keyboard to store or not (full access or not, some actually need it to use swiping like Swiftkey others don't like Swype, Path Input, Go Keyboard or Nintype)

Some great third party keyboards are listed here.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Love Gboard! I introduced it to my 82 year old mother, and it's all she uses now. It does occasionally make a mistake, but if you find it's doing it regularly on the same words, just go slower on those words, pausing longer on each letter.

8. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I love the Google keyboard on Android, but I'm not willing to give up dictation to use a third party keyboard on iOS.

9. macher macrumors 65816

macher

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I used it for a while, but I got tired of switching back and forth between it and the stock keyboard to use Siri dictation. But I do like it a lot.

Gboard predictive text is vastly superior to the stock keyboard and I didn't have any auto-correct issues that I am aware of.

11. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Yea the predictive text is superior that's what I like best. Get no lag either. The Google search is nifty and the ability to post the result in the text. I use this feature a lot.

12. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

i threw caution to the wind about security and fully opened it up.
    i like the keyboard spacing and everything.
    i can't wait until it supports more languages like Japanese....

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I find GBoard a hell of a lot more accurate for swipe-typing than either SwiftKey or Swype.

14. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

Has anyone noticed a bug in Gboard where the letters get aligned to the left of the keys instead of the center? It happens randomly and only gets fixed if I restart or switch the keyboard back and forth. I'm on iOS beta 10.2.1 if that breaks it.

15. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

I refuse to use third party keyboards until the lag of them opening up is somehow fixed. That split second delay for it to popup is the least fluid thing on the entire phone.

16. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

This thread inspired me to give Gboard another try (every so often, the stock kb starts frustrating me, and I try an affirmative... before coming right back when I get frustrated with the alternative!).

Gboard really has gotten good... the key-by-key "pecking" works just like the stock kb, and the swiping is pretty effective.

17. Andrewtst, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017

Andrewtst macrumors regular

Andrewtst

I need to said lucky got Gboard else I am dead in typing, Gboard is extremely stable and why I need it? Because I need swipe.

Some may said Swiftkey or Swype but both is superb buggy and affecting stability of the phone.

Very very thanks got Gboard which make my iPhone perfect! Also the Gboard added function like search, and GIF support is very very fun to use.

By the way, no issue for my Gboard and no lag or delay what so ever.

18. Verks7 macrumors newbie

I also use Gboard. I like the prediction and theme. I prefer the GIF selection as there is a better more diverse selection of images. I'm not having any delay issues either.

19. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

Anyone notice this bug with Gboard? All the letters are aligned to the left of the keys. I'm using 10.3 on iPhone 7.[​IMG]

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm starting to dislike 3rd party keyboards more and more because:

- they don't always come up
    - The ridiculous recommendations they make when I'm typing.

21. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

For most it's the swipe feature that draws us to 3rd party and alse the ability to customize the theme.

22. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

For me as well the word swipe feature is the most important reason for me.
    The downsides all the mentioned reasons above + also lack of Siri/dictation due to Apple not allowing.
    If Apple would just add a swipe feature I would never have to deal with all this #$@.

23. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

Agreed! Alse I must mention one of the things I do not like, to which 3rd part KB are not blame, is that when it comes to typing say login password the default iOS keyboard keeps popping up. I understand it needs to be done for security reasons but it makes things look out of place and better yet it should be an option.

24. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I used to use it but at this point I dont use any 3rd party keyboards. The reason is you cant use them on the lockscreen..

25. pacorob, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017

pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

That is also such a limitation as well agh. Best thing would be if Apple added a word swipe feature to their own keyboard. Problem would then be solved for me.