Anyone using iOS 8 GM? I need help installing it please

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Shaqq, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Shaqq macrumors regular

Shaqq

Which iTunes were you on? Because I tried on my friends Mac it kept saying firmware not compatible but I downloaded the right one and I tried on my windows 8 PC and it's saying the same thing.

2. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Works on 11.3 and 11.4. You probably downloaded the wrong one. Check which model you have and re download it.

3. Shaqq thread starter macrumors regular

Shaqq

You was right it was the wrong one. I'm downloading the right one now. Can I press Shift then update or I have to restore ? Because I don't want to lose my stuff

4. trant macrumors newbie

5. Shaqq thread starter macrumors regular

Shaqq

Anyone using iOS 8 GM? I need help installing it please

& it's working fine? Any issues ? And you didn't lose anything ? You did the Shift and update option ?

----------

Also sorry about all the questions I'm just trying to get iOS 8 on my phone correctly.

6. trant macrumors newbie

Yes, correct. All is good, but with new OS it's always advisable to do a full restore. I just didn't have the time yesterday so updated and will probably do a full restore at some point.

7. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Back your phone and then do the restore, but make sure you have the latest version on xcode and iTunes loaded our you will brick your phone.

8. Shaqq thread starter macrumors regular

Shaqq

How do I use Xcode? And I'm using windows can it get Xcode?

9. andrunious macrumors member

using it on 4s...super slow and im sure battery is going to die much faster but i like it...

10. Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

You have to restore from the image you download, which means you will lose all your stuff unless you back it up.

Judging by your questions you're venturing into a territory where troubleshooting issues won't be your strong suit. Maybe you should just wait a week and update OTA so you're less likely to make a mess of it.

11. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Check the model number on the back of your iOS device and download the firmware according to that.

12. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

You must not be a apple developer AND no you can't use Xcode on windows.

Using just iTunes on Windows - I think you would need the current version for your OS.

13. Dan70 macrumors regular

Just finished updating it to the GM build about 10 or 20 minutes ago. I used iTunes 12 on Yosemite Developer Preview 7 however I made sure that this time I had Xcode 6 GM downloaded, installed and running whilst I tried to update.

I tried last night without Xcode (I only had Xcode 5 installed) and it bricked my phone until I finally downloaded Xcode 6 and restored back down to iOS 7.1.2.

So be warned, as long as you have Xcode 6 GM (build is 6A313) open when you update through iTunes 12 you'll be fine.

14. pdubak macrumors member

Good to hear it works on the developer preview. Do not try it using iTunes 12 from the Yosemite public beta. iTunes crashes half way through the restore leaving the phone stuck in DFU.

I was able to restore from 11.4 running on 10.9. Stupid me also forgot I was on Yosemite at the time and did my local backup on there. I was able to restore the backup using iTunes 12 though once upgraded :cool:

EDIT- This was my first thread today, see this is well known, sorry for duplicate post!

15. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Don't listen to that person... You do not need Xcode on windows. If you are unsure, you should just wait til next Wednesday and update when it is pushed out.

----------

It crashes on DP7 too. Upgrading may be different than restoring. iTunes 12 seems to only crash in DFU mode. Or he has latest XCode and that is why it worked for him.

16. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

So after backing up your iphone with IOS 7, you hit Shift/Update on windows itunes, install the ipws file, then after the install, restore, adn all your apps/pws/settings should be there?

17. Dan70 macrumors regular

Yeah I did that's correct, originally I had iTunes 12 and only had Xcode 5 installed and it bricked my 5s but after downloading and opening Xcode 6 GM (not doing anything, just with it open) I was able to get the iOS8 GM without issues.

It's a bug in iTunes 12, apparently Xcode 6 GM updates the USB drivers so I've heard for iTunes although I'm not too sure.

18. Poly macrumors 6502

Sorry that i'll misuse your thread for my question:

I just installed the GM on my 5S and set the phone up as NEW via iTunes. With nothing on the phone after the installation it says "1,3GB OTHER data"....But after installing just a few apps i already have 1,8GB of "OTHER" data.

Anyone else has this? Or should i set it up as new AGAIN?!

19. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

This happens with any new install of IOS. Get use to it

You can try Sync your phone (this will remove "other data").

20. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

You don't know what you're doing. You're not a developer. You will likely screw up your phone.

Don't do it.

21. kring macrumors regular

kring

Update via Windows Shift-Check for Updates worked fine from me from Beta 5 to GM. keep in mind that yesterday there were a ton of bad upgrade files being circulated, I have 1533 model and it takes a 6,1 file... I had to go through 4 different downloads before I found a 6,1 that actually worked... people were renaming the 6,2 and uploading those.

If you get that firmware error it means you have the wrong file, download from a different source.

----------

Nah, it's cake. nothing can happen to your phone.

22. Poly macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply.
    I reset the 5S as new and put my backup from 20minutes ago back on it. Now "other data" is down to 750MB.
    EDIT: And back to 1GB after restart :D

23. Shaqq thread starter macrumors regular

Shaqq

I actually know what I'm doing I just wanna be sure that what I'm ganna do is correct. Thanks though.

24. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Really??? This is the GM. You don't need to be a dev to install this.

25. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

You don't "need" to be a dev to install any beta, but his questions let me know he doesn't know enough about what he's doing to his likely, personal phone not a development kit.

He can't read the basic instructions on the apple dev website (or he took the GM from somewhere else).