Anyone using iPad with an Android phone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by christophermdia, Jul 15, 2012.

1. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Was thinking of going android for phone purposes with my apple ecosystem. I just think that android has really feature loaded their equipment while apple just adds incremental updates. I love my apple products, in fact, its obsessive. however, the larger screens and google environment keep me thinking.

Thoughts?

2. number84 macrumors 6502

Go for it! I'm definitely going Android if I can ever get rid of my company issued blackberry. :) Why not have the best of both worlds?! I have an iPad 3, btw.

3. boomboom2 macrumors regular

I have a Galaxy Nexus with a MBA and I love the combo!

4. kidnice15 macrumors member

I have a Razr Maxx with my ipad 3. I love the combo. I can tether my 4G speeds to my Ipad 3. One of the reason's why I didn't spring for a ipad with 4G. Like somebody else said. Best of both worlds ;)

5. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad 2, an older Macbook, and an HTC Amaze. Have to say I'm disappointed with Android. I know all the phones differ and they have more features/customizations than the iPhone, but I lost my amazement with it after a month or so. Not to say I don't like Android; I think it's a great OS and good competition, but in the end I just prefer the iPhone. I'm also biased because I like smaller phones, and my Amaze has a 4.3" screen so it feels ungodly huge. However, I see that you're looking for a larger screen and like the Google environment, and my views and needs are contrary to yours.

My current Macbook is locked to my desk because the battery is basically dead, and I'll be upgrading it soon. I use my iPad for portability mostly; taking it home from college on weekends, watching Netflix at home, storing PDFs for class, etc. It's a great machine and does what I need it to do very effectively.

If I were you, I would make sure to visit your carrier's store in your area, check out the phones and see which ones you like. Then mull it over for awhile and read reviews online to make sure the phone suits your needs and what you want. I'm partial to HTC hardware, and everyone has their preferences. Good luck with your choices!

6. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I personally like the integration too much among Apple products to switch. I do have a little gadget lust for Android phones, especially with Jelly Bean getting such great reviews. But I'd just have to find too many workarounds to make it work. I love iTunes Match, love iMessage, love syncing photos in iPhoto, love all my iOS-specific apps. Just no reason to switch other than for curiosity's sake.

7. xgrey macrumors newbie

I have Galaxy Nexus and iPad2. Android is better for phone but as for tablet iPad is a masterpiece.

8. mgsnat75 macrumors member

I have a Galaxy SIII an wifi iPad 3 and retina MacBook pro. I love that I can tether my 4g unlimted connection with my devices in case im not near wifi.

9. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

10. fjs08 macrumors 65816

>>I have a Galaxy SIII an wifi iPad 3 and retina MacBook pro. I love that I can tether my 4g unlimted connection with my devices in case im not near wifi. <<
    Wow, is this tough to do??
    I was going to get a Verizon Jet-Pak but if this will work just as well, why spend the bucks??
    I'm a bit hesitant to go out of the Apple world. I'm so tied into my calendar link between Mac, iPad and iPhone. Can you get calendars to sync up between GS3 and iPad???
    Thx.
    Frank

11. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Do you need to jailbreak the iPad to tether an Android phone to it?

12. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I have been using SmoothSync for Cloud Calendar available on android devices. I have been using it for about a week and it syncs my native android tablet calendar running ICS with my iCloud account. Two way sync and I haven't had any problems.

13. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Nope. The phone puts out a wifi signal just like a router.

14. 617aircav Suspended

15. jojoba macrumors 68000

I have an iPad with an android phone. It works well for me. Complete integration would be nice, but as long as the predictive text on the iPhone is crap and the screen is small, I'm not switching.

16. cfs macrumors 6502a

I tether and I don't need to jailbrake.

Edit: read this post wrong. Please ignore my comment.

17. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Xoom with Jellybean (4.1) and iPad 3 here.. I think its worth it to have both because they both have benefits/disadvantages.

Big problem I have with the iPad from android is iPad won't allow customization of the keyboard but Android I can which makes it much easier to type fast on where-as the iPad either has to be small or big (there is no middle ground).

18. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I love Apple iMac, iPad, Mac Air, but just not the iPhone. It has past its prime and no longer fits into my needs/wants. I use my Galaxy Nexus for skype, tango, email, and browsing the web and it's simply more pleasant to do all that on a larger 4.65" screen. Even if it means carrying an extra battery.

The size/weight ratio on the iPhone 4/4s is also an issue I have. Small, yet heavy.

19. Vizin, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  20. cheisA1A macrumors newbie

Thanks for the unbiased replies on this. I have been contemplating the GSIII vs. waiting for the new iPhone. I truly believe there are positives to both Android and iOS. I've thought Android is slightly superior for a while now, but there are so many reasons to go all Apple too.

21. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Does AT&T offer free tethering with their android phones?

22. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Is that really an ISSUE? Would you rather have only one car manufacturer to buy from with only one model with one engine in your choice of only black or white?

Just like Android phones there are many vehicles and manufacturers to choose from of which some models are good and some models are bad. You just need to do your research on what is best for you.

23. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I have an android phone, and thinking about jumping on an iPad purchase next March before graduating from college.

24. TinHead88 macrumors regular

TinHead88

I don't have an android device. I think all the people that will tell you "yeah sure syncing all your calendars, emails and contacts is just as easy with android" will be assuming you are willing to change all of this data over to google formats. So if you're happy to do that (and I'm not sure if there is a way to get the old data across easily except for address book) and happy to rely on google software and privacy then you could consider using an android phone.

Personally I have a little more trust in Apple than Google. Apple are concerned with making things work so their products remain highly regarded, Google is concerned with collecting as many users as possible to maintain advertising revenue.

25. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

I sold my iPhone 4S since the new iPhone comes out in a few months the closer to the launch the value drops.So I wanted to get as much as I could for it.
    So I got a Galazy nexus to use right now,NICE PHONE!
    I have a 16gb white iPad 3 so with the nexus it's a great combo,At least till the new iPhone comes out:)