Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your MacBook your only Mac/computer?

• Yes, I only have the MacBook and it's my primary Mac/computer

Votes: 147 70.7%
  • Yes, but I would like to buy a desktop Mac

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • No, I also have a desktop running Mac

Votes: 22 10.6%
  • No, I also have a desktop running Windows

Votes: 20 9.6%

• Total voters

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
I'm using a white macbook with external screen, apple keyboard and mouse and external speakers. Its great, I set it down and it is practically a desktop, take it with me and its a laptop!

Reactions: jagooch

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I've been thinking about doing this with a laptop for quite some time.

Having recently checked out the MacBook 13 it seems sufficient for what I do (a Mini is the other option since I have a 19" Viewsonic).

currently I have PC gear. tower that I built and an Acer laptop, external USB drive, Linksys wifi. two printers connected to the tower, also accessed by the laptop.

My ideal 'clean' setup is a laptop, wifi station, external drive, printer

I see that there is an airport option where you can hook up an external USB device but it appears that there is only one USB connection. This would require buying one of those NAS enclosures (like the D-Link DNS-323) for an external drive(s) since I would be plugging in the newer printer to the airport.

thoughts?

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
I used to have an iMac as my main and only computer, but now I have a new 13" MBP (which in my book still qualifies as a Macbook). I used them both for about a month, but the iMac is now being relegated to home server and encoding duty. I am also moving, so it will be used as a guest computer with the server account running in the background. Now I just have to hope that my relatives that have never used a Mac can figure out how to get to the internet without asking. My MBP does everything my iMac did aside from store all of my media easily. The iMac only did that because of 2 external drives, but laptop externals are a bit cumbersome to carry around, and I am too afraid to bring my $140 external drive to school along with a $1500 laptop.

Reactions: jagooch

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
I went from my iMac to a Mac Mini in '06 (the first generation Intel one... man it was a pain until the day it died - and even more of a pain for dying when it did... </rant>) then to my BlackBook in '08 and far from being my main machine it has also become possibly the most important thing I own.

I have a WD Time Machine drive and it occasionally borrows a 17" LCD that I have plugged in through adapter to my PowerMac 6200 for my old-school mid-nineties pixelated games of violence and blood (ahhh Doom II my old friend) and when it's on the desk I plug a Apple Pro Keyboard and Mighty Mouse into it as well for ergonomic comfort.

Next machine is probably going to be a MacBook Pro and that will take over my work and home life in a few years time.

Cyclo0n

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
Netherlands
I dont need something else

My MacBook unibody is my only computer i use. Im thinking about buying a Mac-Mini or something for at home and use my MacBook for school :)

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
well currently I have an Air and a MBP but I will be going to a 17 uMBP for myself and I am going to buy a 13 MBP for my girlfriend as we are now used to having 2 computers.

Although while at university I had the base 12 iBook 800 mhz and I think 756 ram :eek: This did everything, I did photoshop on it, wrote my dissertation and took it everywhere! When I look back now you realise how much things have moved on in even a few years :)

davidcalvet

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
me too

I am using my white mac book that I got las year in june.
I also have a TIME CAPSULE.
By the way I would like to re-do the original copy on it, as I did some clean up on my MABOOK. What can I do, without erasing all other things I copied on it.
Thanks and god bless OS X !!!

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I have a MacBook, and it is my only computer. (Well, that's a lie: I have an old iMac G3 lying around, a 2004 HP laptop, and occasionally a random few-years-old desktop PC that I buy for cheap at auctions when feel like playing around...but my MacBook the only computer I normally use...except last fall when I sold my old white MacBook in anticipation of a September refresh that never happened and left me waiting, iMac G3 in hand, until late October. That was not pleasant, but it's my own fault. :D)

Anyway, I don't understand why most people, if they have a MacBook, would need more. With enough RAM and HD space, it can do pretty much anything most people want. It seems like a waste of money to me to buy it just to have it. (I do programming, personal accounting, write papers in LaTex and other grad school "homework," Web browsing, e-mail, and occasionally use OpenOffice.org, and my MacBook suits me fine.)

I also have an external display and keyboard/mouse, which gives the MacBook a more "desktop" feel. But I didn't use an external display on my old MacBook, so for a while I was using the 13.3" screen and even that was OK (but I definitely enjoy the larger screen). The only bad thing is that with my external mouse, I can't do any of the touch gestures that you can do on the touchpad...but, on the other hand, I have a few extra buttons to work with that mostly makes up for it. :)

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
yep, went from an iMac to a MB - I don't do anything really processor intensive that my 2.0 Ghz can't handle.

I am using my white mac book that I got las year in june.
I also have a TIME CAPSULE.
By the way I would like to re-do the original copy on it, as I did some clean up on my MABOOK. What can I do, without erasing all other things I copied on it.
Thanks and god bless OS X !!!

looking into getting the TC - need a new wireless AP and can't stand unplugging/plugging my USB external HDD. :eek:

Takuta-Nui

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
Voted also have a desktop running Mac.

Technically the family iMac isn't mine - my parents paid for and own it, while I paid for and own my MacBook. But I use the iMac to back up stuff as well as watch anime online since doing that on the MB sucks out about 30% of the charge. I want the battery to stay strong for the first two years of university at least before I start to consider replacing it.

When I move out and hopefully at the same time or earlier obtain a reliable job, I'll probably do the same but slightly different - MB Air for light work like writing and Internet, and iMac at home for movies and anime and backups. =D

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I use my MacBook as my main machine now but I just don't find it enough, much too slow and gets way too hot. Photoshop is slooowww, and it cannot handle many applications open simultaneously very well.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I have been all MBP since January. I use it as my desktop and notebook. When I'm home I have it hooked up to a external monitor, KB and mouse. Really have no complaints except id like to have a second monitor.

And I do everything with it, from building websites to iPhone applications.

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2009
If I ever get one, I will be using it as my primary computer. Sadly, I'm forced to use the family desktop my dad insits on that's running.........Oh God I just threw up a little in my mouth....................Vista.....*sniff*

Praetorian®

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Czech Republic
Right now, I'm using my MacBook (early 2008), iMac 24" (early 2009) and my 4 years old desktop with Windows 7, but the iMac is just borrowed for writing a review and I use the desktop only during the holidays. Normally when I'm at the university, I use only the MacBook and it's perfectly fine.

I'm watching movies on it, editing photos, browsing the web, listening to music, chatting with friends, cutting videos, writing documents (in Pages and LaTeX), using Matlab and Mathematica and many other things.

If you're considering whether to buy 'basic' white MacBook, I say "go for it". You'll be very happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.