Anyone using MacBook as their only Mac/computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FreqFlyer, Jan 15, 2009.

?

Is your MacBook your only Mac/computer?

1. Yes, I only have the MacBook and it's my primary Mac/computer

147 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Yes, but I would like to buy a desktop Mac

19 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. No, I also have a desktop running Mac

21 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. No, I also have a desktop running Windows

20 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. FreqFlyer macrumors newbie

Hello!

I was just wondering if any of you are using the MacBook as your only Mac or computer? Interesting to hear about the setup to the people around here :)

2. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

yeah i use this as my primary machine. i got a pretty weak set up atm. but its nice to be able to just take this to school and then use it there and at home.

soon hopefully, i can get a 20" and hook it up to this while im at home.

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I've had my MB since October and it's my main/only computer. It does everything i need it to do. I don't even have an external monitor because the 13" has been good enough so far. I wanted to have something very mobile and still full of features and i went from a 15" Toshiba to the 13 MB and I couldn't be happier!!

4. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I would venture to say most people who own Macbooks use them as their primary computers. Desktops are so 4 years ago.

I occasionally use mine with an external monitor and mouse, it's not necessary. As has been mentioned before, it's nice to have everything in one place and not worry about syncing.

5. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

my macbook is my main computer :) i use it 99% of the time. I have an old XP desktop downstair, for some reason :S

Was thinking bout chucking the xp and getting an iMac ? sound good ? ;) lol

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I use my AluMacbook exclusively. I keep my P4 Dell around for any just-in-case situations.

As far as setup, its just the laptop, and a connection to the TV/speaker system for video every now and then

7. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

haha i have an XP desktop too, and i am thinkin of throwin it out and getting an iMac too, how strange :p

oh yea and i use my mighty mouse with my macbook too, naturally

8. yorkslad macrumors regular

Yeah I have a MBA. I have bootcamp running XP and I use an old 30GB ipod for extra storage of work files. I find 80GB a tad small am considering upgrading to MB or MBP.

9. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Once I got the Macbook all my other machines have sat unused. I keep this thing hooked up to an external monitor quite a bit though.

10. Moks macrumors member

Yep. No need for anything else, except external storage.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I use my MBP as my main computer (it is my only mac too). I have an external HD that I hook into for backups every morning at lab. In the evenings I take my MBP home with me and use it on a lap desk. The only other computer I have is a linux box I use as a home sever/media center. It seems to work pretty well for me.

12. thewizard.mac macrumors member

I have the white MacBook a year now and I use it all day it's really nice and convinient although I can't say that I wouldn't love an iMac :eek:

13. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Yup - my alu macbook is my main computer (i've also got an aspire one for throwing in the bag when I don't think I'll actually need a computer, and an apple tv as my media server). Stuck a 500gb drive and 2gb memory in there, and we're away! Great computer, doesn't lag on very much - I don't game on it.

14. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

yes, i've been using my powerbook, and now a macbook pro 17", for absolutely everything for almost 10 years now.

i use and older g4 as the backup station for time machine.

15. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

Yes I also use my MacBook as my only computer. It's just easier, to have all emails and documents on just one computer. This way I can create something at college, work on it on the train back home and at home I can keep up where I left.

I upgraded the HD to 320 GB, so I have just enough storage space for all my music, photos and documents.

I don't use an external monitor, the 13 inch screen is just right for everything I am doing. Except for programming a second display would be good. But I am not programming that much. And I rarely do anyting video related.

16. jrrdnx macrumors member

jrrdnx

My MBP is my first and only Mac. Definitely all I will be using from now on. My wife even loves it so much she's saving up her money to get the MBA.

While the iMac would be awesome, I found another use for my old XP desktop. I turned it into a home media server. I had a RAID card lying around and a friend gave me a small 10GB Seagate HDD he had lying around, so I formatted and installed my OEM Windows XP on it, then hooked my previous 2 HDD's (1st was OS/programs, 2nd was media) up in a RAID1 array. Now my wife and I keep backups of all of our music, photos, and videos on the server so we can stream them all to my Xbox 360. I also installed XAMPP on it to use as my development server. Total cost for me: $0.

17. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

This is my only computer but there are a total of 5 Macs in my household. My son has a 15" PB and 15" MBP, my daughter has a 12" PB, and we have a Mini in the living room acting as a Media Center.

I use my MacBook for everything personal and for work including a subnet connection to the Linux server. Works perfectly. It goes to work, business trips, home, lake cottage and anywhere/everywhere else I go. My only supplement is an iPod Touch.

18. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

it's my main computer now. I still have the old Gateway, but I keep that in my daughters room now and it's a back up.

19. FreqFlyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Great to hear so many replies! I added a poll, but I just discovered that I forgot a Linux option... sorry for those who feel left out :rolleyes:

20. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Still rockin' the 1st gen MacBook in my sig. Nothing too intensive, mostly just Mail, Safari, iTunes, iPhoto Picasa, and the occasional use of Fusion for XP.

21. hmai18 macrumors 6502

I've been running a notebook as my primary machine for almost 3 years. Progression was:

1. iBook + 17" CRT
    2. iBook + 20" LCD
    3. MacBook + 20" LCD

22. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I'm using my MacBook Pro as my only computer. (connected to a 20"ACD when I'm at home)

23. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

I haven't owned a desktop type machine for years. Even in my pre mac days, all I had was a notebook.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You poll is missing the one that says I have 3 laptops and 2 desktops running Windows and OS X. :D

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's my only computer, but it boots in Fusion XP and Win 7.