Anyone Using the Dell 2005FPW

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
1,880
366
Ma
Widescreen Display with their Mini ? I took the plunge todAY THEY HAD IT SHIPPED FOR $599. I had bought a Vewsonic 19" CRT and it looked great for the PC but not so hot for the Mini. I'm hoping the DVI makes a difference.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
AnewMac said:
A little off topic, how does it handle games (if you play them), Unreal, SimCity 4, WoW. Any review would be appreciated. :)
Sorry, don't play games :eek:

There's quite a few people here that do have them though, maybe one of them can help more...
 

AnewMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2004
154
0
The Northern Plains of OK!
edesignuk said:
Sorry, don't play games :eek:

There's quite a few people here that do have them though, maybe one of them can help more...
Ever hear the adage, all work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy? :D

j/k, the extra real estate would be nice in photoshop however.
 

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
1,999
1
UK
It's a great screen

I've just bought a Dell 2005WFP and I gotta say that I agree with edesignuk - it's a GREAT screen, and once calibrated correctly is very much in the same league as the Apple 20". I paid £472 - around £230 cheaper than the Apple Cinema display - you really can't beat that with a stick.

For the poster who asked about games - you won't be disappointed. I had a quick blast of Q3 Urban Terror earlier and I really couldn't discern any lag whatsoever (unlike the Apple 17" TFT I used to have).

:D
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
tersono said:
I've just bought a Dell 2005WFP and I gotta say that I agree with edesignuk - it's a GREAT screen, and once calibrated correctly is very much in the same league as the Apple 20". I paid £472 - around £230 cheaper than the Apple Cinema display - you really can't beat that with a stick.
:D
Not only much cheaper, but just as good, has 4 inputs (Apple has 1), and "Warranty : 3 year next busness day exchange" vs Apples pathetic 1 year.

I can't see any reason to pay more for less of a screen, and less cover to Apple.
 

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
1,999
1
UK
edesignuk said:
Not only much cheaper, but just as good, has 4 inputs (Apple has 1), and "Warranty : 3 year next busness day exchange" vs Apples pathetic 1 year.

I can't see any reason to pay more for less of a screen, and less cover to Apple.
You sure said a mouthful. AMEN!!!! =]

All I need now is a Mac Mini so's I can make use of the VGA port too ;-)
 

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
607
0
Philadelphia, PA
I have another related question. How are the other inputs? I am considering buying one, but I want to know how it will look if I hook my xbox right up to it. Can I hook my cable TV right up to it?
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
debroglie said:
I have another related question. How are the other inputs? I am considering buying one, but I want to know how it will look if I hook my xbox right up to it. Can I hook my cable TV right up to it?
Anything that can output to one of these should work a treat :)
Inputs : Analogue / Digital / S-Video / Composite
 

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
1,880
366
Ma
I just bought the 2005 I agree it's a great monitor I'd be interested in hearing what tweaks/adjustments you guys made. I've temporarily hooked my Xbox to composite until My Vidigi VGA Box arrives. It's playable but that's about all I can say. Svideo would probablybe slightly better. Thats what the 24" has over the 2005 the built in component. But just how much you need a bigger display because you can pickup the Vdigi box for $65. I hope to hook my PS2 to Svidoe, we'll see. Here's a Pic:

 

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
607
0
Philadelphia, PA
It is 561.75 shipped for awhile now. If only I had the money!

The code is:40F961WD2MTG0K

It only works in the Home section, and only on the 2005FPW
 

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
699
1
edesignuk said:
Well mine is perfect, and if at anytime in the next 3 years it isn't. I get a replacement :D

Try displaying a completely black image, and take a picture for us. Check to see if the backlight bleeds or not.
 

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
1,999
1
UK
jadam said:
I hear that it has very bad backlight issues.
Nah. Some very early samples had some backlight issues, but it's been rather over-hyped (just as the display defects with the Aluminium Cinema display were...). Currently shipping models should be fine. Certainly, mine's exactly as it should be.
 

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
1,999
1
UK
jadam said:
Try displaying a completely black image, and take a picture for us. Check to see if the backlight bleeds or not.
I'd point out that EVERY LCD screen on the market - including Apple's - has backlight bleed to some small degree. It's inherent in the technology. Early samples of the Dell 2005 had a consistency/QA issue caused by the way the panel fits into the housing. Current models should not have this problem - certainly mine has no more backlight bleed than my old Apple 17" Studio Display had (actually a little less), and it compares favorably with samples of the current Cinema Display that I've seen.
 

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
1,999
1
UK
Scarpad said:
I just bought the 2005 I agree it's a great monitor I'd be interested in hearing what tweaks/adjustments you guys made. I've temporarily hooked my Xbox to composite until My Vidigi VGA Box arrives. It's playable but that's about all I can say. Svideo would probablybe slightly better. Thats what the 24" has over the 2005 the built in component. But just how much you need a bigger display because you can pickup the Vdigi box for $65. I hope to hook my PS2 to Svidoe, we'll see. Here's a Pic:

The only real tweak I did was to calibrate it correctly (via system prefs/Displays/Color). The default settings are way too bright and a little too warm.

I've not tried the composite/s-video inputs, so can't comment there (my X-box stays connected to my 50" projection TV :p :D )
 

rchang713

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2005
3
0
debroglie said:
I have another related question. How are the other inputs? I am considering buying one, but I want to know how it will look if I hook my xbox right up to it. Can I hook my cable TV right up to it?
The video quality using the composite or S-Video is really bad. I had my gamecube hooked up for a while but I couldn't stand the jagged, fuzzy image (using composite or s-video). It did improve a little if I turned off the strech image to screen setting and used the 4:3 ratio setting which left black bars on the sides while playing my gamecube. I've heard good things about using the VDigi VD-Z3 vga transcoder with this monitor. The box is about $60 bucks, but if you use it you can play your xbox using the HDTV widescreen progressive scan mode and the box will convert the signal to VGA. It also has a switch so you can still have your PC/Mac plugged into the vga connection. In fact you can use this box to convert any component video (DVD player, HDTV box, etc) to vga. I'm planning on getting one and the optional sound bar for the 2005FPW. Look on ebay, you can find a sound bar (speakers that attach to the bottom of the monitor) for about $15. Not many gamecube games support widescreen mode, so I'm holding off on getting one for a little while, but I think most xbox games support widescreen progressive scan. And even if you use the box just to convert standard def to vga, the quality is supposed to be much better than using the crappy s-video or composite inputs.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
rchang713 said:
The video quality using the composite or S-Video is really bad. I had my gamecube hooked up for a while but I couldn't stand the jagged, fuzzy image (using composite or s-video). It did improve a little if I turned off the strech image to screen setting and used the 4:3 ratio setting which left black bars on the sides while playing my gamecube.
The problem is that when using a source signal that is no where near the native resolution of the screen (games consoles output is very low, I think the GC is 640x480), it's always going to look bad. No matter what the screen.
 

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
607
0
Philadelphia, PA
rchang713 said:
The video quality using the composite or S-Video is really bad. I had my gamecube hooked up for a while but I couldn't stand the jagged, fuzzy image (using composite or s-video). It did improve a little if I turned off the strech image to screen setting and used the 4:3 ratio setting which left black bars on the sides while playing my gamecube. I've heard good things about using the VDigi VD-Z3 vga transcoder with this monitor. The box is about $60 bucks, but if you use it you can play your xbox using the HDTV widescreen progressive scan mode and the box will convert the signal to VGA. It also has a switch so you can still have your PC/Mac plugged into the vga connection. In fact you can use this box to convert any component video (DVD player, HDTV box, etc) to vga. I'm planning on getting one and the optional sound bar for the 2005FPW. Look on ebay, you can find a sound bar (speakers that attach to the bottom of the monitor) for about $15. Not many gamecube games support widescreen mode, so I'm holding off on getting one for a little while, but I think most xbox games support widescreen progressive scan. And even if you use the box just to convert standard def to vga, the quality is supposed to be much better than using the crappy s-video or composite inputs.
Thank you, that is what I wanted to know. I think I'll wait until this summer to buy one, then. If you get that converter, please let us know how well it works.
 

rchang713

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2005
3
0
edesignuk said:
The problem is that when using a source signal that is no where near the native resolution of the screen (games consoles output is very low, I think the GC is 640x480), it's always going to look bad. No matter what the screen.
I'm going to have to disagree slighty. When using the VGA input at 800x600 or even 640x480 the image quality is ok. Of course because it's not native the image is a little fuzzy, but I doesn't have that jagged, interlaced look of using the video inputs. I played some games on my PC at 640x480 and the stretched and unstretched images were much better than using s-video. I'd definitely have to say that the image scaling on the 2005fpw is much better when using vga (probably mostly due to the signal being progressive scan). This gives me hope that using the converter box I mentioned will make my GC playable. Also, the Xbox supports HDTV resolutions (720p or 1080i depending on the game) so that's going to make a huge difference as well.