Anyone watched HBO's The Pacific?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by coolwater, Jan 18, 2011.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Oddly, it seems like there was no pertinent thread here according to my search.

Anyway, how is the series compared to the Band of Brothers?

2. simsaladimbamba

Completely different.
    It does follow three soldiers instead of one company, and those three soldiers are not even together in one unit.

It felt disjointed and sometimes hard to follow (as in boring), but I guess the Pacific Theatre was entirely different than the European Theatre, thus the makers tried to convey it via these means.

I probably will never re-watch that mini series, but I already re-watched BoB several times and I still find it intriguing.

Maybe watch the first episodes and make up your mind, maybe it speaks to you and you can connect much better.

As I also am not an US citizen I might not have that connection with the Pacific Theatre as the US has. I live in Europe and therefore might be much more able to connect to BoB, as it plays right outside my door.

Anyway, I still liked Clint Eastwood's version of the WW II taking place in the Pacific, especially the Japanese part.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Follows (from a few books) the adventures of a few soldiers.

I didn't know a lot about the battles in the Pacific - was a bit educational but you have to watch it with the historical background (on the DVD menu).

A lot of sex - seems like they had to throw that in there for the audience.

Got to know the fact that fighting on those islands were actually a living Hell (not some "tropical paradise")...

I rented it - won't watch it again.

I watch BoB over and over - love that one (Winters just passed away last week).

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I liked it, but then again, I am a huge WWII buff. As pointed out, it does seem a bit disjointed since it focuses on different characters in different units and locations. With Band of Brothers, you only had to deal with the one group of characters. The actors for the main characters did a good job, but not quite as good as BoB. The battle scenes were pretty good.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but not at much as BoB.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I am a big fan of The Pacific, however in comparison to Band of Brothers its weak. I never felt engaged with any of the characters, or involved in the action. I have both series on DVD, only watched The Pacific once, Band of Brothers has been watched many times.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I haven't watched The Pacific apart from a few clips, but did see a bit of Band of Brothers. The production values on both shows are pretty good.

Frankly, there is a shockingly out-of-proportion interest in WWII history. How many shows are there about the Spanish-American War? The Phillipine insurrection? The Mexican-American War? Korea? Or even the other World War? Not to mention all the other wars the USA wasn't directly involved in.

The History Channel and Discovery channel are just as bad - for every documentary about a conflict that wasn't WWII, there are a dozen shows about WWII. I know it was the greatest armed conflict in history, but it has been done to death. Sorry about the rant. :eek:

7. Messy macrumors 6502

Watched it all, bought the entire set on BluRay, ver very good, quite grim sometimes, tells it how it is.

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I hadn't heard. RIP Winters. That guy was unbelievable. Glad he was on our side!

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

IMO, Band of Brothers is the best TV ever created. I've watched it through 4 times and I don't re-watch much content.

I was quite disappointed in The Pacific. I'd still recommend watching it.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I figure I'll eventually watch The Pacific, it did not get enough great reviews from people that I respect so I passed. I am with you on the Band of Brothers; some of the best TV ever made.

11. JulesNYC macrumors regular

The Pacific doesn't hold a candle to Band of Brothers, but it's still worth watching. The Eugene Sledge parts are the best -- loved the person and his story. The actor (kid from Jurassic Park) who played him did a great job.

12. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, Sledge's parts were my favorites. I also liked his book, With the Old Breed, better than Helmet for My Pillow.

13. MCMarshall macrumors newbie

I never actually finished watching it though the first few were good. Not quite Band of Brothers, as others have mentioned, but worth the watch nevertheless.

14. Liquorpuki, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

It's not as good as Band of Brothers but it's still good. Band of Brothers showed one regiment from different angles - camraderie, courage, etc, each episode focuing on one guy. The Pacific showed several regiments and except for Basilone, everyone else just goes to war and fights til they lose it or are on the verge of losing it.

My favorite character out of the whole series was Snafu. That actor did a great job.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Love it! Watched all the episodes. I agree, Snafu was great!!!

16. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

I enjoyed this series quite a lot.

HBO puts out some good stuff.

17. cuestakid macrumors 68000

There are certain movies and TV series that must be seen in HD.This is one of them. Not only was it brilliantly acted and directed, but seeing this HD made the experience beyond incredible. You could see the blood, sweat, dirt, and explosions so clearly, you thought you were running across that airfield. I bought this series without seeing it, as I didn't get HBO when it aired so I couldn't. I realized that if I wanted to get the best experience, I must get it on Blu-Ray. Afterwards, I was blown away. In fact, a week and a half later, my parents got one.

If you have this on Blu-ray and want to show people why they should get it, show them this. If they are not convinced, they will never be

18. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

I thought the first half of the series was slow and boring... but the last half was nearly as good as BoB. Loved it.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Not as good as Band of Brothers, but worth watching.

20. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I enjoyed "The Pacific" and would watch it again. Though not as often as I have seen "Band of Brothers". My biggest problem with the show is how much of the series gets devoted to life at home and shore leave. Rather than focusing more on life in the field.

21. Zenithal macrumors 68040

22. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Love Band of Brothers, found The Pacific a little too slow with no clear story line.

23. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Skip the miniseries, read the books... it'll actually take less time and you'll actually learn more.

24. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It focuses on the characters development soley. Once I figured that out I liked it a lot better. It's not BoB, they're compliments.