Anyone went into AT&T Store to order?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InvalidBassist, Jun 15, 2010.

1. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

Just wondering how the experience was?

Any issues?

2. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

I did. Got in there around 10:30, there was a fairly large line. Their systems crashed and hung up a few times, and some of the reps started doing paper receipts. By the time they got to me, the systems were back up and my order was done through the computer. Got out of there a little after 12. The reps were nice, but clearly frustrated at the online system.

3. Pmpman macrumors member

I just got back. This particular store was a large one, but there were very few people pre-ordering.

The sales associate said they had been experiencing issues all morning. Then when he tried to pre-order my iPhones, it was crashing on him again. He took my number and said they had a list of people like myself they were going to call when it was possible to pre-order again.

It is worth mentioning that other people have had different and seamless experiences with At&t this morning, so perhaps your trip will be better than mine?

4. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Just got back also. I was there for 45 minutes without moving. Their system was down. (duh) They had to do the preorders manually. I just hope it comes on the 24th!

5. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

I was the first one in line at my local store, and about 8 more people showed up in line behind me by the time the store opened at 10:00. The sales guy tried for about a half hour to process my order on their computer system, but it kept crashing and giving errors. He took all of my information, used a manual credit card imprinter, and said that he would process my order in the system as soon as it comes back up. Let's hope he does just that.

6. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

Took about an hour to get through at the store.

Needed to go into the store because ATT online was stating that I had to pay the no-commitment price ($699), even though I am an existing iPhone customer. The rep had to do the pre-auth manually, but I received the $499 32gb price. We'll see what happens when he actually tries to put it in the system. I did check my credit card and saw the exact amount that should be pre-authed.

Some people were there trying to do 4-5 phone upgrades at once.

7. jameskohn macrumors 6502

took a while but got it done

I had tried online ordering through both Apple and AT&T and just kept getting error messages. I even tried Apple's new "Apple Store" iPhone App, and it kept crashing. I finally just drove the ten minutes to the local AT&T store in Branford CT. It took about 45 minutes, start to finish, to get two iPhones pre ordered. I opted to have them shipped right to my home so I could avoid the madness on the 24th. Reps were really nice, but the system was giving them fits. Call me crazy, but after last year I would think they'd have this process figured out by now.

8. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

You'd think that after the 3G launch fiasco that AT&T would beef up their servers and fix the issue that screws us Premier customers. I'm just glad to have my phone order in, even if it means I have to wait an extra day.

9. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

yes. there was a line of people. system kept crashing on others but when it was my turn i was lucky as the order went through. it took a 45 mins. my FAN was untouched, kept the unlimited, etc... went good (so far)

i am having it shipped directly to the house. they were telling some people that if it was shipped to the store they can pick it up on the 24th. so...

also one person said they sold out of the white i4 this morning...so....

the people that couldn't pre-order were re-assured that they would be put into the system as soon as it was back up. they had to give them some type of receipt and said they would call them once it goes through to confirm.

10. jgmachine macrumors newbie

They turned my girlfriend away saying she had to have a credit card and that she couldn't use a debit card...

11. InvalidBassist thread starter macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

New customer or existing customer?

12. aneftp macrumors 601

Too me almost 2 hours. My store was in the Orlando Florida area.

They were very nice offering drinks cookies while we waited. They took a list. Told people they could leave and come back and keep their spot in line.

I waited for 40 minutes. Line wasn't moving. This was around 1030am. I left to panera bread and target to get baby formula for the newborn.

Came back around 1210pm. I had just been jumped since I wasn't there. But they took me next since they knew i was waiting.

By 1145am eastern time AT&T internal systems were almost back to normal. It only took them less than 10 minutes to process my 2 orders around 1220pm.

My other order I placed at 436am went through. But my other 2 orders kept on getting canceled emails from the AT&T premier store and that's why I headed to the Corp store. The manager told me they had 15 people waiting before 9am store opening. I didn't even realize they open at 9am. I thought they opened at 10am. So I headed there around 1020am and was stuck 15 people behind with slow computer systems.

If you go now, at&t's systems should be working much faster and it shouldn't be a long wait.

13. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

from the ones who were at the store where they did it manually, what did they write on the receipt? I don't see a SKU or anything, it says "apple iphone 4" 299.99 + 20.93 total = 319.93

They asked me 32gig? and I said yes so they better have ordered that one.

14. aneftp macrumors 601

Doesn't matter new or old customer. AT&T rep told me the reason real credit cards only is debit/gift cards only let them place holds for up to 3 days. Since it's 9 days to delivery, they need real credit card so they can place a hold for the amount of time. Not sure if they charge automatically or charge when it ships. But they need more than a 3 day holding time frame this no preorders for debit/gift cards.

15. jgmachine macrumors newbie

My GF who got turned away w/ a debit card was an existing AT&T customer and iPhone owner.

16. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

The rep wrote down a pre-auth number on mine. I've also checked on my credit card and the charge is there. They will manually have to go back into the system and add the orders once ATT servers come back up, at least in my understanding.

17. aneftp macrumors 601

68096 is the SKU on my AT&T receipt for black 32GB iPhone 4

18. mshoo1 macrumors newbie

I just returned from the AT&T store on Connecticut Avenue in Washington, DC. There was a line of 10-15 people, but I only I had to wait about 20 minutes. They were clearly prepared for the crowds.

Their systems seemed to be up and running. I was able to pre-order a 32GB. However, the sales rep told me that all of the iPhone 4 models were listed in the system as backordered for 2-3 weeks. I went ahead with the transaction, because the Apple website was not letting me keep my FAN discounts.

19. aneftp macrumors 601

Yeah. I think the AT&T systems were back to normal around 1145am

20. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

hmm the workers didn't seem happy they had to write everything down, so he prolly just wrote whatever lol. the store manager had to override it because I wasn't getting the full upgrade at first.

21. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

I also ordered the 32GB black iPhone. Under SKU, it looks like he wrote 69196. He also wrote down my credit card number, AT&T account number, and shipping address. I really hope this goes through.

22. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

I checked my credit card account online and it looks like it was charged the correct amount.. well at least pre authed the correct amount.

23. InvalidBassist thread starter macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

I really hope that this is just system error on their part, but I've heard of multiple accounts of that.

24. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

25. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

preordering from home was a big fat fail thanks to idiots at apple/att so I went down to the Berkeley Shattuck store right at 10am and was the 5th person or so. I'm home 40 minutes later with 16 GB ordered.