Anyone who has the 2011 model gonna sell it to get the 2012 refresh?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If the next model has a quad core processor, I'd consider an upgrade. Otherwise this current machine is working fine for me.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I WILL! And I just bought my MBA 13. But if they have a i7 in the 15" flavor, do not stand in my way!

Mopar

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Yes.

Loved my wife's 2010 13" MBA so much, I bought a 2011 11" MBA - which has been a little bit disappointing. Battery life is poor, the trackpad has had issues and I'm no fan of Lion.

So all I want from the next 11" MBA are the following:

* Longer battery life (better battery or Ivy Bridge CPU - or both)

* SIM card slot to connect directly to mobile networks (like the iPad)

* Better trackpad

Any of those would make me upgrade (especially battery life - the 13" already has phenomenal battery life, but not the 11").

Yggbert

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Nope, really don't need improved CPU, GPU or RAM. Battery life is fine for me on the 13". I don't see myself upgrading this for a few years, I kinda like the idea of actually keeping a laptop for more than a year. I haven't done it before!

I'm more open to updating my tablet and phone yearly than a MacBook, although I kinda see myself sticking with the iPad 3 until the 5 comes out. As for the iPhone 5 then I'll probably keep that for two years too.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Will be upgrading 2010 MBA 11 and MBA 13 because I expect the 2012 MBA to offer 8 GB RAM. If I had a 2011 MBA, I wouldn't upgrade if the new MBA only offered a marginally improved processor performance and USB 3. I really hope Apple gives us more than just that.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
I have a 2010 MBA (with only 2 GB RAM) but to be honest, it fits my needs fine. Sure, having the latest and greatest is always a nice feeling, but I would feel like I was throwing money at potential speeds that I will never reach (I only use my Air for travelling to and from University, writing essays, etc).

Would be nice, but an all too expensive luxury.

Sech

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
If the MacBook Pro 13in is released with discrete graphics then yes.

If the MacBook Air 11/13 have 8GB of RAM, then yes.

gbredneck

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
Mine are only 2 weeks old

As said above, i've only had mine a couple of weeks, speedwise i cant tell a lot of difference from the 17 inch mbp they replaced.

Cant see me needing to upgrade at any time soon. These machines are blisteringly fast (even with 4gb ram).

So another no here.

dzigg

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
I'm really happy with mine. Two big factor would be the GPU for better gaming performance) and battery boost with a supposedly-more-efficient ivy bridge.

Also screen upgrade would be nice as well.. As far as RAM and SSD size, not a priority for me.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Maybe, I may upgrade to a i7, if it also has UBS3, a SATA3 SSD and 6GB of RAM or more.

Other wise it's not really to much worth an upgrade for me.
I agree. I already have a 480gb ssd. If the resolution of screen and RAM is upgraded..... The yes

PaulNI

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Yes.

Loved my wife's 2010 13" MBA so much, I bought a 2011 11" MBA - which has been a little bit disappointing. Battery life is poor, the trackpad has had issues and I'm no fan of Lion.

So all I want from the next 11" MBA are the following:

* Longer battery life (better battery or Ivy Bridge CPU - or both)

* SIM card slot to connect directly to mobile networks (like the iPad)

* Better trackpad

Any of those would make me upgrade (especially battery life - the 13" already has phenomenal battery life, but not the 11").
How long are you getting out of your 11"?

I'm getting around 3 hours, very dissapointed with the battery life

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
If you are happy with your "old" one, just stay with it!
That's the problem. I'm no longer infatuated with the 11" Air (low batt life, screen too small) so if I can sell it then I definitely want a 13". But then the dilemma becomes whether or not it's smart to buy a 2011 machine in 2012.

Anyway, the only things I want in a 2012 MBA is USB3, Retina (pending a battery that can handle it) and less bezel. if they don't give this stuff then I'll gladly buy a 2011 13" at a step clearance discount because those are fantastic computers.

Belm

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
I won't be selling this year. Maybe when the MBAs get Haswell. But I love my Air right now.

PaulNI

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Anyway, the only things I want in a 2012 MBA is USB3, Retina (pending a battery that can handle it) and less bezel. if they don't give this stuff then I'll gladly buy a 2011 13" at a step clearance discount because those are fantastic computers.
What's the deal with Retina, how much better is the screen technology compared to the current Macbook Airs?

Mopar

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
How long are you getting out of your 11"?

I'm getting around 3 hours, very dissapointed with the battery life
That's pretty much what I get out of mine. Sometimes a little over three hours if I'm watching a movie loaded on to my SSD, but just surfing the net and doing nothing else I'm lucky to get three hours.

My wife's 2010 13.3" MBA, however, has great battery life - seven hours easy, no matter what you're doing. It's fast and has a nice screen, too.

I believe all the 2010 model MBAs have better battery life than the 2011 models - but that might have more to do with Lion vs Snow Leopard than the hardware.

The only reason I went for the 11" model is that it's easy to carry - it's not much bigger than an iPad - and has a nice keyboard. The screen's pretty good for it's size, also. Overall, it's the perfect size for an airline tray and hard to beat for those who travel or lug their laptop around frequently.

Ultimately, if you want a decent laptop you can carry around and use as your primary machine, I reckon the 13.3" is hard to beat. If you want something smaller than an A4 sheet of paper with plenty of power and more functionality than an iPad, get the 11.6" model.

n1tut

macrumors regular
I have never posted on the "what is next" threads before, but it is time that my wife had a laptop, so I thought of giving her my basic 2010 11.6" which I love and I bought through my student daughter for £130 discount, and buying a 2011, again with the same discount. My reason would be for the backlit keyboard, and I suppose there is a bonus of the I5 and 4gb memory this time.

However though we can only go by rumours at this stage, I suppose it would make sense to wait and see what the so called refresh will offer if it is bought out by July.

tut

n1tut

macrumors regular
As far as i can see, this could be the first year when Apple may have to play catch up in some respects.

With all these new Ultrabooks coming out which are mostly clone copies of the MBA, the goal posts have moved. Not interested in any of them, my 2010 was my first Mac and I would not go back, and I run windows alongside anyway for the two programs that I need. They all seem to have drawbacks in the touch pad and resolution stakes anyway, and are virtually the same price.

However as they are newer they have the latest features, Ivybridge, USB3, SSD size, none of which would make me change from my 2010, but I suspect that Apple will have to tread the same line, but hopefully also leap frog ahead again.

tut

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I find that people that upgrade every year, are the ones who didn't even need the current ones they have.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
What's the deal with Retina, how much better is the screen technology compared to the current Macbook Airs?
I upgraded to a retina iPad and the difference is remarkable but not as "essential" as the iPad board would lead you to believe. To be honest, it leans more on hype than real world usage because in the end then you'll be able to see things "better" but won't necessarily be able to do anything "new". And if it comes with a huge battery hit then I can see it not being ready for this gen of MacBooks. But the reason I'm eager to see if it will exist is because it sucks to miss out on "new tech" because you couldn't wait a month longer.

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
A Macbook is a tool not a toy, it can last more than 1 year (unlike Windows crap ;) ) which is why I am waiting for Haswell or Broadwell