Anyone with 2.3/16/256, how're you finding it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Acterveld, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Acterveld macrumors newbie

Interested in buying either this or a anti-glare core MBP, main concern is the small SSD size. Out of interest how are any owners of the base, or the spec I posted above, finding it?

2. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

I received mine the day before yesterday and so far I'm finding it great, it's blazingly fast, I'm in the middle of installing Mountain Lion now, I've installed all the basic apps such as Spotify, Skype, Steam and downloaded all the updates for Lion.

I'm also using VirtualBox with Windows 7 which has a 25gb partition, and after all that I have 198GB left which I find is plenty, although I don't have music stored locally (spotify streams everything apart from a small cache) and atm don't have any movies kept on the SSD.

When it arrived I think about 30gb of the drive was already used. I don't think I could justify paying the amount Apple wanted to upgrade the SSD to 512GB.

3. section215 macrumors member

section215

Absolutely love it. Just installed Mountain Lion. The whole thing runs like a dream.

4. Acterveld thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like the exact same position as me man, I just cant justify like £300 just for 256GB extra storage. I'm tempted to buy the spec I listed and then just put any movies and photos on an external.

5. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

That's probably the wisest idea, just carry around the essential music/games/movies you need and anything else you use infrequently just put it on a small portable HDD.

Honestly, unless you're a major video editor or photographer I don't see the need to go to 512GB, everything you NEED can fit on the 256GB easily, you can also run games off an external HDD if it's fast enough, I think after you've installed every application you want and have your collection of photos and data that you need on there you'll be left with around 150GB to use.

I don't see why you'd want to keep a MASSIVE collection of films on here anyway when you could just buy a cheapy external HDD.

6. Acterveld thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly, I'm a bit worried about if I need to run windows in my Comp Sci degree in 2013 how much I'll have to partition... But I can use my desktop or even the uni machines if need be. I just need to know if this new toy is worth the cash haha!

7. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

Well I don't know about Bootcamp but Virtual Box with Windows 7 installed takes up 25GB as default, after the operating system was installed there was around 13GB of free space within the partition. Even if you used a partition of 50GB for Windows you'd still have quite a bit on the Mac side of things.

8. Acterveld thread starter macrumors newbie

Will probably go for it, I could save the 300 pounds but I could spend it on other things I need haha

9. kamran9558 macrumors regular

windows with bootcamp will take 20 GB only for OS and I guess you have to spare atleast a total of 50 GB for bootcamp if you want to play games or install any windows software.
    what is the point of buying an ultra light and portable laptop when you have to lug around hard drives with cables hanging.

10. Acterveld thread starter macrumors newbie

That's why I'm torn between the retina and the brick that is the Non-Retina MBP with antiglare screen

11. kamran9558 macrumors regular

I was in the exact situation. I have around 130 GB of data (no movies )and the 256 GB will have 220 GB out of the box, so for me the calculation was something like this 220-(130 data + 50bootcamp+15 GB mac apps)
    so 256 GB wasnt an option for me. ill prefer the convenience of built in storage any day over attaching my usb drive just to listen to a song when im travelling

12. Acterveld thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you go for a cMBP in the end then?

13. kamran9558 macrumors regular

I bit the bullet and went for the 2.6/512 version as I plan to keep it for 3-4 years and dont want to regret my decision after an year or so.Also in my opinion cMBP is an outgoing technology (although its perfect right now)and if i included the SSD it was going way over the price of rMBP and the light weight of rMBP was also a deciding factor

14. Acterveld thread starter macrumors newbie

Mmm, I could get the 512 but I need to get stuff for Reading festival and in general not have the most boring summer ever haha

15. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I got the 2.7 - 768 - 16 for the price of the base... long story...

But, I love it !!!!

16. lazer155 macrumors regular

How?

17. cmdrmac macrumors regular

I got the 2.3/256 configuration rMBP and I love it. I'm still downloading ML right now, so we'll see how it performs with it installed. However, for now, this machine rocks!

18. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

If you need to store music or other files that dont need relatively fast read speeds check this out.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342319572/the-nifty-minidrive?ref=live

19. RAWphenom macrumors member

You better elaborate. Thread derailing be danged!

20. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

lol.. well, in short, I had ordered the non-retina 15" with HR and AG. The first one I received was w/o HR and AG. Then, the second one had no hard drive [yup :eek:], and finally the third one heated up like a MoFo to the point where it would shut down everytime!!

So, I emailed Mr Cook expressing my misfortune with these MBPs and received a call from the Corp. Exec. Customer Relations Dept and after much deliberation, they offered me the 2.6/512/8GB rMBP.

It so happened, that when I went to pick it up at the store, they only had the 2.7/768/16GB in stock and the manager [ after hearing my story and going thru the notes against my case # ] just gave me the damn ultimate Retina! :D

Who was I to say no :p

So, that's how I got the high end machine..

21. xfs macrumors member

I thought they only carried the base models in store?

22. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Some stores are starting to get these models too.. The store manager said he has *requested* some 2.3/256/16 models for the store because so many people were asking for those...

23. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

have had zero problems since its arrival and am absolutely inlove. better and better as time passes!

best machine ive ever owned...

24. Thors.Hammer macrumors member

Loving mine. The local 256GB flash storage is fine for my use. I have 20TB of networked storage on tap in my home office so it isn't like the notebook is my archive server.

The 2.3 quad is plenty powerful and 16GB of RAM is plenty for my application and virtualization needs. Mountain Lion is running better than Lion on my machine which is a relief.

25. deerfaced macrumors regular

I came from a mbp with a 120 gig HD, so I feel spoilt rotten with it doubling!

Couldn't be happier. Most of my 'media' use is streaming anyway (spotify/netflix) so I don't think I'll really need a great deal of space for storage.

Work lives on an external drive or a 16gig SD card if I'm out and about.