Anyone with a 2012 MBA? Please post your SSD

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The teardown confirmed that at least some MBAs use a new Toshiba SSD, but there is a word in the street that some are Samsungs. Haven't seen any evidence of the Samsung one so everyone with a 2012 MBA, can you please take a look at your System Profiler and take a screenshot of the SATA screen (like below)?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Just restarted a 13" MBA in an Apple Store to compare launch times.

My MBA 13 typically is between 22-25 seconds. The 2012 MBA 13" on display booted in 16 seconds.

Can't wait for future SSD to move from the SATA buss to the PCIe buss and deliver even more performance. In 3 years we should be seeing boot times under 10 seconds for the average SSD based notebook.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
According to iFixit the 128GB one from Toshiba uses the Sandforce controller. I'm not happy with that since Sandforce controllers have quite a lot of problems, especially with things like hibernate. I'm very curious as to what kind of controller is on the small ssd and if those bugs are resolved with the new MBA. Hopefully the 256GB (the one I'd like in an MBA) is one from Samsung but I doubt that.

Also curious to speedtests with different kind of data: compressed and non-compressed. If they are the same that shows that they are quite different from the Sandforce controllers we know (they are fast with compressable data, much slower with uncompressable data). So if anyone could test that than that would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
I need to look at which one I have tonight (probably the Toshiba), but on DiskSpeedTest I was getting read and write speeds in the 400-450Mbps range. It's plenty fast for me.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I need to look at which one I have tonight (probably the Toshiba), but on DiskSpeedTest I was getting read and write speeds in the 400-450Mbps range. It's plenty fast for me.
BlackMagic uses incompressible data so that sounds like a Samsung SSD. SandForce doesn't like incompressible data.

dgdosen

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
11" or 13"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 11"'s all have samsung on the 2011s?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.