Anyone with an HD TV also think this SUCKS?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cool Hwhip, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Cool Hwhip, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

Cool Hwhip macrumors member

[​IMG]

It's so distracting. I can't imagine it would have been hard to put a setting to "Fit to Screen". I mean, the aspect ratio for the video and the TV are the same for goodness sake. No, there is no way in the app to blow it up to full screen (double tapping doesn't work, hitting the "fullscreen" button in the app doesn't work that way, etc.). Yes, it's a new TV.

2. shandyman Suspended

it's cos it's mirroring the screen. to get fullscreen you need apps that use TVOut, like the native iPod app, youtube app, etc

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Anyone thing that people who don't use TIMG suck?

Just joking with you. Don't take it the wrong way.

The previous post was correct, apps can now make use of a TV Out function. Just need to wait for some development.

Enjoy your iPad!

Edit: oh it looks like you just changed it. :)

4. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

couldn't have told from the wrapping still on ;)

5. Cool Hwhip thread starter macrumors member

I had to say that otherwise I'll get 50 responses just talking about the wrapping on the TV from people who think they're observant.

6. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Thats the reason I recommend the $99 Apple TV over the $40 HDMI out cable. Its a great feature thats very useful but if I watch video regularly then AppleTV does it so much better.

BTW. Congrats on tricking me. I kept clicking the play button on your jpg.:p

7. shandyman Suspended

The apple tv streams video content from iTunes. That same content on the iPad would also be full screen playing from the native videos app on the iPad. Same with YouTube.

It looks like He's playing something via a 3rd party app liken VLC which you can't do on an apple TV so that renders your point moot really.

8. Roadking macrumors 6502

If you buy the ATV, you still need to buy a HDMI cable. ATV doesn't come with one...

9. Blorzoga, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011

Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Can't you just set the aspect ratio on the TV settings?

10. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

11. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i think it looks ok. Just not fit to the screen size is easily fixed when the developer fixes the app.

12. djf881 macrumors newbie

It's a software issue. The app is coded to put out the 1024x768 resolution of the iPad. The device can output high-def video through the HDMI out, but the app isn't sending out a video signal of that quality.

Also, your television remote should have a function to stretch the image.

Is that the ABC app or Hulu?

13. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

14. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Is that the ABC iPad APP? My ipad2 outputs movies I synch to it in full widescreen on my 52" HDTV, (Sony)
    the ABC app is downsizing and limiting the size. that's how it can stream so well on the ipad.

15. shandyman Suspended

that's not the app downsizing, it's the mirroring via the cable, that's the size it shows the iPad screen, the video is being played by a 3rd party app which doesn't do video out.

16. mstrze macrumors 68000

Correct...so you spend an extra $5 on an HDMI cable to connect the ATV to the TV.
    :rolleyes:

The whole point of that post was that for around twice as much as the iPad HDMI ($84 for a refurbed ATV in the Apple store online) you have the ability to stream not only your iPad video on the HDTV but also the ability to play any and all iTunes content that you have, on your HDTV.

The iPad HDMI cable allows you to ONLY play content that is on your iPad on your TV...or mirror your iPad video on the TV.

ATV is well worth the extra $50! :)

17. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Change your TV to "Full" or similar. It may be on a 1:1 setting.

18. shandyman Suspended

not true, with home sharing you can streem anything fromthe iTunes library. but with the iPad, you can watch any vid you have via 3rd party apps like cinexplayer and vlc, etc.

well i've tried messin with that on mine and doesn't do squat, when you play something from the youtube app or the video app, it plays full screen.

19. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Nope i don't think Modern Family sucks. i think its a great show ;)

20. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Maybe give developers like a little bit of time to add this feature? Like a few weeks maybe? Even once they update their apps they still have to get through Apple's approval process which takes another week or so.

And for those suggestion to use an AppleTV instead, developers have to update their apps to use AirPlay as well, so that changes nothing.

21. Bartman01 macrumors regular

VLC will likely never be updated and has been pulled from the store due to licensing issues.

22. shandyman Suspended

Yea that sucked, it got pulled about a month before AirPlay was announced. Wish they'd sort it out

23. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I agree. I picked ATV and love it :D