Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I got a pretty good indent in the lower part of the frame right around the speaker holes. I'm not one for cases and nicks on my iPhone have never bothered me but I do have to admit I'm pretty surprised on how easily it was to cause this blemish.

It slid out of my pocket while I was driving and fell in between the seat and the middle console of the car. That's all it took to scuff it up pretty good!

27ae5c142ccdd2fde2b57f058f2a870a.jpg

be451c835a340ad519b252f037111ec8.jpg

Anyone else with battle scares yet??

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Not at all. Because I'm one of the smart guys that uses a case. You'd have a nice clean looking phone as well if you used one.... But I just don't understand why you guys don't use a case.

Question: are you without a case so you can show off to others that you've upgraded?

This Tech21 case is nice, thin and looks awesome on the iPhone. I got it at Best Buy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 300

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Not at all. Because I'm one of the smart guys that uses a case. You'd have a nice clean looking phone as well if you used one.... But I just don't understand why you guys don't use a case.

Question: are you without a case so you can show off to others that you've upgraded?

This Tech21 case is nice, thin and looks awesome on the iPhone. I got it at Best Buy.

I just have never used a case. It's not to show it off even when I'm in my car alone it's left in my pocket. I just love the look of a naked iPhone :)

Pics with the case on?

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Just after I got my 6 plus, all of my friends wanted to see how it felt in their pockets. Obviously, at least one of them shoved it in a pocket with keys/change and now there is some light scuffing on the top of the screen. Barely noticeable but still a bit annoying. I may try the baking soda fix at some point but I'm a little worried that I'll remove the oleophobic coating.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Not at all. Because I'm one of the smart guys that uses a case. You'd have a nice clean looking phone as well if you used one....

Yea but what's the point of having a nice clean looking phone if you can't even see it? Unless all you care about is resale value. But personally I prefer enjoying the functionality and aesthetics of the expensive products I buy (instead of the aesthetic of a $30-50 case)

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A

You may have a nice clean looking phone but you don't see it cause it's in that ugly case :rolleyes:

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I just have never used a case. It's not to show it off even when I'm in my car alone it's left in my pocket. I just love the look of a naked iPhone :)

Pics with the case on?

Yeah.. Ok. I understand. I'll get you some photos with the case on.... Just give me a couple of hours to do so. The case has a nice texture to it and it is not slippery to hold.

Last edited:

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I don't like to use protection. I prefer how good it feels without being covered. This can apply to a few things in life including my phone. So far so good with my 6. I've been paying more attention to where I put this one. Doesn't feel as durable as the iPhone 5. One drop will probably cause some damage. I'm more careful sticking it in my back pocket too. Don't want it to bend.

I know a case will protect it. I use an Apple Smart Case on my iPad. Just don't want one on the phone. That's what Apple Care is for :)

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
You may have a nice clean looking phone but you don't see it cause it's in that ugly case :rolleyes:

Shoot! You wish it was ugly. The phone is too smooth and slippery to hold without a case! Besides, the only important side of the phone is the screen side!

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I got a pretty good indent in the lower part of the frame right around the speaker holes. I'm not one for cases and nicks on my iPhone have never bothered me but I do have to admit I'm pretty surprised on how easily it was to cause this blemish.

It slid out of my pocket while I was driving and fell in between the seat and the middle console of the car. That's all it took to scuff it up pretty good!

Anyone else with battle scares yet??

It's kinda funny. I use my phone without a case as well, but I have no scratches or anything yet. I did drop it once on concrete at my work and absolutely nothing happened to it... At that time I thought had that been my 5s the chamfered edges would've been screwed...

So I guess experiences are different, but thus far this phone shows damage way less than my 5s did

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine

I agree. Obviously not everyone feels the same way -- some people want to know that they have a pristine phone locked away in one of those cases that protects it completely. But unless you're concerned about resale value, I don't see the point of protecting the phone so much if you can never actually see what it is you're protecting.

And when some battle scars eventually show up, I don't usually stress out over them.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I agree. Obviously not everyone feels the same way -- some people want to know that they have a pristine phone locked away in one of those cases that protects it completely. But unless you're concerned about resale value, I don't see the point of protecting the phone so much if you can never actually see what it is you're protecting.

And when some battle scars eventually show up, I don't usually stress out over them.

It's like having a brand new car. You worry about it more until after the first scratch/ding. Then you just drive it. Plus nobody gets to see what you have if you keep it tucked away in the garage.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

So you're saying you're dumb if you don't use a case?

Some people don't like bulk. Even minimal as with my JETech bumper case.

brokenarrow184

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
I dropped mine on tile yesterday from my pocket. Got some rash/dent on the corner but nothing too bad. I'm just so glad the screen didn't break. I also have a scratch on the front glass but not on the screen area, I think that occurred when it slid out of my pocket while in the car. My case showed up today so I'm safe now!

I can understand people wanting to go naked and show off the phone but eventually the phine is going to be scratched and dented up, I think that affects its resale later on.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
This may be tangential but, I always have used skins on my iPhones since the 4. They look cool IMO and do a very good job protecting from scratches, even the clear skins. They don't really help in a drop though. I bought the apple leather and silicone case for my 6+ and I like them both a lot. With the rounded edges and the size of the phone, a case with some grip (the silicone in particular) makes handling the phone a bit easier for me.

I don't see why some are so judgemental about how others use their phone, some prefer naked, I did for a while and there is nothing wrong with that. I usually get battle scars but none yet :D

On a side note, my wife is horribly hard on her phone, she drops in all the time, throws it in her purse with all her crap, keys included. I got her a new 6 last week - I took her 5s that she's had for a year, I took it out of the case (inCase Slider) and the damn thing looks BRAND NEW. Not a scratch or a scuff anywhere... I've witnessed this phone land face down from a 4 foot drop on concrete many times, SMH.

I guess the moral of the story is, when you care less, nothing bad seems to happen. When you try to protect and be careful, you get bit.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
Yea but what's the point of having a nice clean looking phone if you can't even see it?

To... Idk... Use it as a phone? Or calendar, or messaging, or audio device, or web browsing, etc. It's not a piece of jewelry. You don't sit around looking at it. You use it

Apple's marketing really has got you guys man, it's crazy. Jonny Ive has y'all thinking it's some precious work of art when it's really a tool.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
To... Idk... Use it as a phone? Or calendar, or messaging, or audio device, or web browsing, etc. It's not a piece of jewelry. You don't sit around looking at it. You use it

Apple's marketing really has got you guys man, it's crazy. Jonny Ive has y'all thinking it's some precious work of art when it's really a tool.

Actually, I think it's the people who are obsessed with keeping their devices pristine in cases that are the ones who have bought into the idea that these are delicate works of art that much be protected and preserved.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Wow, that's pretty bad for having fallen inside the car. Just looking at it, one would think you dropped it on concrete. :eek:

I never leave the house without a case on my 6 Plus. Currently sporting the Apple leather. Heck, even in the house I keep the case on.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Wow, that's pretty bad for having fallen inside the car. Just looking at it, one would think you dropped it on concrete. :eek:

I never leave the house without a case on my 6 Plus. Currently sporting the Apple leather. Heck, even in the house I keep the case on.

I think that's what got me to post about it. I have had drops before no big deal but this wasn't even anything big and it mashed up the metal pretty easily imo.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Actually, I think it's the people who are obsessed with keeping their devices pristine in cases that are the ones who have bought into the idea that these are delicate works of art that much be protected and preserved.

Neither is wrong, imo. I also run around with my 5s naked, because I hate how even the thinnest casing makes it that much thicker. It does sport several minor scuffs around the sides.

It's just different people having different priorities.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California

Or... Maybe they want their screen to remain intact when they drop it on concrete.

sparky38

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
I use an otterbox on my 5. Planning on getting a 6+ and will use either an otterbox or potentially a life proof case when it comes out.

I personally don't care what the phone looks like under the case. I use a case to protect my phone from different elements and drops.

Personally I would love to use just a slim case, but I work in a rough and dirty environment and need the protection.

To each their own, but I am a bit surprised that more of you don't protect your "investment" from at least drops.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I did use the Spigen Slim Armor with my Plus, but that is one big case. It makes my Plus feel like a brick and makes it almost twice as thick and twice as heavy and makes it uncomfortable carrying it in a pants pocket. So went with their thin fit shell case. Adds very little bulk, but rigid enough to prevent bending. I will probably continue using that case for a 3 or 4 months, but after my paranoia wears off, I will go without a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.