Anyone with Parallels 6 upgrade to 7 yet?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ZBoater, Sep 1, 2011.

1. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Has anyone with an MBA and Parallels 6 upgraded to version 7 yet? I'm downloading my upgrade now and will report back. Its 262MB and the Parallels server is sloooooooow. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how the upgrade process went.

2. mc68 macrumors newbie

Let me know when your download is done - I don't want to slow you down :)

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, I downloaded it first thing this morning and it was pretty quick. Interestingly, my WEI score stayed the same (4.5). Memory slowed down from 5.5 to 4.5. However, graphics went up from 4.5 to 4.7. It seems to run fairly quickly, though, and it fixes the bugs I was getting with Parallels Desktop 6 where it was automatically starting the guest OS on startup. The full screen mode works pretty well and is quicker than using the old menu.

4. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Users who bought in the past 30 days get a free upgrade to 7. You can buy 6 for $45 on Amazon. Presumably you could buy from Amazon today and then download 7 for free when you receive 6.

5. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's pretty quick. Installing from SSD to SSD is very nice.

I had to boot every single VM (Win 7, 2 x WinXP, Win98) for each one to get updated. They all seem to work fine. Win98 sound STILL doesn't work. :D

I am now installing a Lion VM. Pretty freaky. Its like doing an internet restore onto a VM. Downloading Lion now. Says 2 hours and 54 minutes...

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, I remember getting Parallels 6 in this way last year by buying 5 for $20. Amazon had a well-timed promotion then.

7. weinschela macrumors regular

weinschela

Bummer. I just spent $49 for the upgrade. And asked for a DVD, which means I have to wait too.

8. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah, I did too, but because I wanted to download it now. I am too impatient. :D My wife also got it, so I may wait for her to get the free upgrade.

This is freaky. Lion inside of Lion. I wonder if I can install Parallels inside the Lion VM and install Lion inside of it....

[​IMG]

9. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Downloaded Parallels 7 on my 27" iMac this morning. This machine had been running Windows 7 under Parallels 6.

Calculated my Windows Experience (WE) before (under Parallels 6) and after loading Parallels 7. All of the numbers were EXACTLY the same!!!

However, Win 7 is significantly faster at launching and re-launching under Parallels 7. I am getting about 50% improvement over Parallels 6. :)

----------

Someone is sure to try it. :D

10. ZBoater, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Throw the gauntlet down like that, willya? :D

Tried Bootcamp. Says "Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used. You must update your computer's Boot ROM firmware before using this setup assistant".

He he... :D

Tried Parallels. "Parallels Desktop cannot be installed on your Mac.... only on systems that support hardware virtualization.

Ratz. These guys are no fun! :cool:

11. JimKirk macrumors 6502

I already own 6.0

49 to upgrade seemed high.

I bought the competitive upgrade from my fusion for 29.

I'll have to wait until I get my key for the free upgrade to 7 but I saved 20 bucks.

12. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

When you have the many virtual machines does it take up like 5 to 6gb per install? like how many gb do you have dedicated to this

13. tech324 macrumors 6502

Is Parallels much better than Virtualbox? I have virtual box and it seems to work fine. Does parallels offer more?

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Fixed it for ya.

15. Chipg macrumors regular

I bought parallels 6 on amazon yesterday, I tried to cancel the order but it was shipped 2 hours after I cancelled it! Lol :) story of my life:eek:

16. ishkan macrumors newbie

you are eligible for free upgrade :)

http://www.parallels.com/keyfor7/request/

17. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I just bought 6 a couple of weeks ago. That link says I will receive an email with an activation key for the new version - wonder how long that will take...

18. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I have been unable to find a competitive upgrade offer for Parallels 7. I have another machine running on Fusion 3.x and would like to switch that machine over to Parallels 7. Can you provide a URL for that offer ? Thanks.

19. misterbig macrumors member

Of course it's the same. WE calculates its figures from looking at your hardware specs. Since your hardware is the same, the WE won't change.

20. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Just out of curiosity, why so few VM's ?

HA... HA... HA...

Somehow I knew I wasn't the only geek here :)

21. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Why didn't I think of that ? :mad:

Having written that, when I installed Parallels 7 over Parallels 6 on my other machine, all of the WE numbers changed, mostly downwards.

Now what ?

22. lxeran macrumors newbie

hmm

well i dont have my mac for long (2 weeks) but i've used parallels alot (visual studio and office) and although it was snappy, parallels 7 feels quicker.. more results soon.

23. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Just get version 6 and you get a free upgrade to 7:

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/vmwareoffer/form/

24. KPOM macrumors G5

I noticed that it's actually quicker to start Windows from Parallels 7 now than it is Boot Camp. Boot Camp is still faster overall, of course, but Parallels 7 seems like a good update.

25. bill-p macrumors 65816

Doesn't seem like it was any faster to me. Couple of interface changes, but otherwise, it's exactly the same as Parallels 6 from what I can see.

3D performance didn't go up that drastically either.