Anyone with T-Mobile experience issues with voicemail and SMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

With my iPhone 7 Plus, I've noticed that sometimes SMS messages (coming from a non-iOS device) come through minutes, sometimes hours later. Especially in group chats where not everyone has an iPhone.

I also receive voicemails hours late, sometimes even the next day, after receving the missed call.

Brought it to Apple, they told me to get a new SIM card. Paid $25 for one a T-Mobile store and still happened. Then they had me wipe my phone clean and start from a fresh backup. Did that, still issues. Finally, got a replacement phone from T-Mobile and it still is having issues.

Clearly it's the network and not the phone. Anyone else with T-Mobile experience this?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I heard about it from others but mine have been coming through fine.
    I'd contact higher up tech support to troubleshoot it.
    I wouldn't pay $25 to fix a connectivity issue, that should be up to the carrier to take care of.
    I'd call them and have them credit your account for that sim replacement fee and tell them you're still having that same problem.

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Not here. I had cause to message two people this morning that have Android. I got SMS replies back right away.

But I live in a major metro city (Phoenix) so perhaps that is why.

4. BlueLagoonMountain macrumors newbie

I have this issue on T-Mobile. And it usually has to do with group messaging as well. iMessage works perfectly fine.

5. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I have no problems whatsoever with iMessage. It's just SMS messages (mainly when it's a group one) and voicemails.

6. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just spoke to T-Mobile regarding the voicemail issues (I got a replacement phone and it's still happening), and she said it's a bug with Apple and there should be an update in the 3rd quarter and it has nothing to do with T-Mobile.

Wtf? So I got a replacement (refurbished) iPhone for nothing? Shouldn't I be re-imbursed for the $20+ I paid for it and the $25 SIM card I bought for no reason, if that's the case?

7. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have been experiencing the same issues as the OP has.

I am in a group chat with my wife and her family. She is on AT&T and she gets texts much sooner than I do. Usually when I do get texts, they all come in at the same time (two family members have Android phones).

Same with voicemails. I've gotten several calls where VM's didn't pop up. Although I reset my phone and the VM soon popped up. I had my wife call me and leave a message and it took about an hour for the notification to come through.

Not a huge deal on my end, but I'm definitely experiencing similar issues as the OP.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I would contact Tmobile and ask for bill credit for those fees.
    And all the time and aggravation you went through.
    Contact the CEO's office, that usually gets things done faster.

9. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Maybe it's iOS related?

I'm still NOT having this issue. I'm on iOS 9.0.2 and my wife is on 9.0.1. My son is on 10.3.2 though. But he hasn't reported any issues.

10. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

They gave me a bill credit. :) Still want my voicemail to work properly though. :(

11. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I have had t Mobile since forever and not had this issue. I live in the Atlanta area and have 3 iPhones all on iOS 10.2 except one on public beta 10.3 and do not have that issue. Glad you got a credit though.

12. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm so confused on what to do. I feel like I should just switch to Verizon or something.

13. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

If its becoming more of an issue for you (especially if you use your phone for work), then maybe you should look into Verizon.

For me, it's not a terribly huge deal. Is it annoying? Yes, but it's not worth it to switch.

14. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

I reset my network settings, and everything seems to be fine now. Although I did that with my original 7 Plus (before I got the replacement) and it did nothing. Hopefully it stays this way.

15. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Common issue with T-Mobile. Network is miserable, like using 2 tin cans connected by a string

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try to do this with your string and 2 tin cans and then get back to me:)

IMG_0250.jpg

17. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Not as fast as AJ, but on Band 2 no less.

Defintetely faster than the average 6mbps down I was getting on Sprint.

2017-06-22 11.39.40.png 2017-06-22 11.39.49.png

18. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I did the same thing about an hour ago. Two VM's immediately popped up on my phone. I then called my cell from my work phone and left a test message. The VM notification popped up about two minutes after I left the message. So it looks like everything is okay for now.

19. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

You should post a screen capture when you have no service and cant make a simple phone call. Travel with a buddy for work all the time who has T-Mobile, has so many issues it is not even funny.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good thing I dont have those issues. If I did I wouldn't be with them obviously.
    Your false assumptions that every place in the US is the same as the issues you're describing above is false.
    There's many places that Verizon and AT&T have trouble with bad coverage. Does that mean they are terrible everywhere in the US according to your lack of logic?

21. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Where exactly would that be?

I mean good service here is everywhere.

Google Maps.png

22. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

While I'm based outside Philadelphia, I have traveled to Phoenix, Kauai, Los Angeles and Charlotte with no major issues.

The only time I experienced an issue was in Kauai, when I lost service and my wife (on AT&T) still had one bar when we were on our way to Anini Beach. Heck, even at our hotel, cellular data was faster than the hotel wi-fi.

If T-Mobile was so bad, I would certainly not be with them. In fact, in my experience, they are the complete opposite.

23. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Please point out where I said every place.

Just the ones I remember off the top of my head are Baltimore, Boston, Austin and in Charlotte.

If you have no issues and are happy with T-Mobile, that's great. Only sharing what I have seen 1st hand.

24. Applejuiced, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Let me point out where you made a broad statement below.
    I have no problems at all in Boston, I haven't tested out the other 2 major cities you posted about but next time if you meant to say their service is terrible at 2-3 places in the US then say that.
    Instead of saying their Network is miserable and its like using tin cans;)
    Im sure over 72 million Tmobile users will disagree with your analogy...

25. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Once again, from what I have seen 1st hand the service T-Mobile provides in miserable. I remembered 4 places, off the top of my head, where the service was nonexistent.

If you are happy with the service T-Mobile provides, more power to you. It shouldn't concern you what a guy posts on a message board about T-Mobile.

Just a rhetorical question. If there service is comparable to Verizon and At&t, why do they feel the need to undercut their prices?