Anyone's iPad suffer from this issue??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gdeputy, May 17, 2011.

1. gdeputy, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

UPDATED WITH VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8HQ_v8xOy4

I've had 4 iPad 2's replaced for light bleed , actually excuse me, 3. On my 4th. it's screen is great, but one thing all the iPad's suffered from was this weird issue. To the right of the home button they tended to have some play in the screen. 3 out of the 4 made this 'clicking' noise if I pressed it, and I'm wondering if anyone else's iPad has this issue?

I'm nearly certain they will, I can't imagine all 4 of mine just randomly having it, and 3 of them making a clicking noise, but at this point the glass is a bit more 'raised' than the rest. And the best way I can explain it is there is 'give' in the bezel, whereas the rest of the iPad is VERY tight and no give around the border.

I've highlighted the part where the 'give' is at, and where it exhibits this 'click' like noise if you press it there.. Anyone else have this?

ALSO, i've posted a picture from iFixit teardown, it shows a thing right where the noise/give/raised bezel would be, sort of suggesting it is the cause.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

Don't have an iPad2 but my iP4 screen is same way at the top left corner recently. I can feel it pushing down a little and the glass is slightly higher than the rest. The couple of 3g iPhones I had all had a slight misalignment with the front glass and I expect this is the same. I imagine this is still within the specified tolerance.
    Take it back if you're not satisfied. One 3g I took back, the glass was up on one side so bad it damn near cut my face.

3. GP_1 macrumors regular

4. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

One of mine didn't click, but they all had 'give' in that spot, whereas the rest of the bezel is rock solid.

5. Born Again macrumors regular

it sounds like your adhesive is giving.

have you stored your ipad in any particularly warm places?

4 times - damn - that's a lot of times wasted.

i hate going to the mall or store...

6. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

No, and I find it hard to believe it gave on 4 units, most of them had it out of the box.

It was alot of time wasted, but apple also gifted me a bag and iRig accessory so they basically gave me 100$ in merch for my trouble.

7. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Also, take a look at the ifixit image, there seems to be no adhesive at that spot on the glass.. where his thumb is.

8. 126351 Guest

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

A number of threads deal with this and related issues. On iPhone now so search for 'iPad edges coming apart' and 'iPad glass separation'.

Those should give you a good starting point.

9. Kmart9419 macrumors member

Holy crap, mine does have the same popping sound in that spot. Great, another issue with this damn iPad.

10. Kmart9419 macrumors member

Double crap. My black iPad 2 also has it. Even worst, it extends much further out into a small area in the corner. The white iPad 2 only pops when you press the area you circled. Jeez, do I return or no? Didn't bother me at all until I knew about it. Going to try using it a little longer to see if it bothers me. Really don't want to make another trip to apple.

11. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

better wait until iPad 2 version 2 gets released

12. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Pretty sure it will be inherent on almost any iPad 2, based on the iFixit picture I posted the object directly under the trouble spot seems to have give. I think most everyone''s iPad 2 will suffer from this and unless they move that actual piece it's inevitable.

Also, for the gentleman saying ipad glass separating, this is different. He's referring to the top headphone jack and a separation between the rubber gasket and the glass, this is the actual plate. I'm going to make a video and post it so you can see exactly what I'm talking about if it wasn't clear enough in the post.

13. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

14. Kmart9419 macrumors member

The video is right on, mine is actually a little more to the right of the home button. The black model pops even when the screen is pressed around the corner.

15. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Can't find any such issue anywhere on my bezel, so it's not every unit.

16. xraytech macrumors 68020

You're using it wrong!!!

Sorry couldn't resist. No such issue here, my iPad 2 is rock solid.

17. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

My black 32GB wifi only doesn't have this issue. I'd bet you can get a replacement from Apple.

18. deadwalrus macrumors regular

I have the same issue with mine, but it is at the top-center, near the camera. (iPad 2 GSM btw.)

19. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

Jesus Christ :rolleyes:

20. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

What in the bejesus

21. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I am completely appreciative of how helpful and giving Apple is.. but I could never return a product when it has, IMO, small problems that really don't affect the user-experience whatsoever.

If it cuts you or gets in the way of a case or affects screen quality of something, sure. But it clicks sometimes?

I guess I just don't care as much.

/endrant

22. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

Yes i 100% have this problem on one of my ipads
    verizon 16gb white ipad has the problem
    16gb wifi white ipad doesnt have the problem

23. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

FWIW i'm not returning my product, I have returned 3 due to SEVERE light bleed, this final unit doesn't have bad light bleed at all so i'm keeping it. If the separation becomes a problem I'll return it but for now I'm keeping.

Just figured I would see how widespread this issue is because 3 of the 4 iPad's I've had have suffered from it in the exact same spot. All 4 had the rubber separation near the headphone jack, but that's not an issue, it is if the adhesive isn't sticking though.

24. gigemzach macrumors 6502

I had this exact issue. Went to the apple store and had to get a replacement.

25. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Your replacement has no signs of this?