Anyone's MB/MBP ocassionally reject a CD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afultz075, Dec 5, 2007.

1. afultz075 macrumors member

After already having one Superdrive replaced (that crapped out fully) i'm becoming a little bit worried about the second one. I just got done importing some more of my CD collection to Itunes and noticed that the occasional CD will fail to mount. The Superdrive will spin up 3 times before finally spitting the CD back out. This has happened with about 3 CDs I own, all of which are pristine with no scratches or defects. All the affected discs will read fine in my external OWC burner. Is this normal for such a compact slot-drive to not like the occasional disc or is this cause for concern?

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Same thing happens to me but with a DVD!!! I think some disc are not compatible with the drive, I'm not sure.....

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That's never happened to me sometimes it wouldn't mount but it popped out just fine.

4. Architect4122 macrumors regular

Battlefield 2 (Windows Side) won't load, neither would Office 2004 (Mac).

However, tons of other software, DVDs, Music, Data discs work. Just those two (annoyingly) didn't.

I don't think its an issue with the drive, I think its the fact of life that some discs just have problems. CD players, DVD players, anyone and everyone I know has at some point an issue with not reading something...even if something just like it (a different game, or a different [new] Office disc works).

5. afultz075 thread starter macrumors member

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I am getting weird issues with the SuperDrive on my MBP, but only with blank discs. Sometimes, it'll refuse to use the disc, complaining that it could not be recognized. If I eject it then insert it again, it usually works.:confused: This happens with both CDs and DVDs.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That happens sometimes with CDs with copy prevention. A CD-ROM drive or DVD drive checks the CD more carefully than a plain old CD player does, and copy protection will on purpose put things on the CD that looks defective to a CD-ROM drive. An old trick years ago was to add a completely corrupted data track to the music tracks; a CD player only looks only at the music, the drive in the Mac looks at the data and throws up.

It probably depends on the brand of the drive in the MacBook; whenever it happened to me, my six year old QuickSilver PowerPC could read the CDs.

8. afultz075 thread starter macrumors member

Actually, that's probably the case. Now that I think about it, I recall my old Toshiba used to reject the occasional audio cd as well.

9. AkiNikoTanTan macrumors member

OMG! so i am not alone!! LoL!
    i think i need to get mine replaced..damn it

10. afultz075 thread starter macrumors member

Also, how long does it take for everyone's MB/MBP to mount a disc? Mine can take about 30 seconds or so sometimes. I've already concluded that these Superdrives suck, but i'm just trying to see if mine sucks worse.

11. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I had problems with one specific batch of DVD-R disks. I bet that was because of bad disks since it has never happened before and have not happened again.