anything like Magpul for the iphone 5 yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by psywzrd, Sep 29, 2012.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I tried a lot of different cases for my iphone 4 but the Magpul Executive Field Case ending up being my favorite. Now that the 5 is out but Magpul hasn't put out a case for it yet, I'm looking for something similar. I'm currently using a Rocketfish Soft Shell case from Best Buy and while I like it, I don't like the fact that the case overlaps onto the glass. I like the lay on the table design of it, but I just don't like when it overlaps like that.

Has anyone found a nice, thin case like the Magpul that covers the sleep/wake and volume buttons, doesn't leave the top and bottom of the phone exposed, and provides a lay on the table design without actually overlapping onto the glass? The Magpul provided all of those features for my iphone 4 and while it wasn't a perfect case, it was the best one for me.

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Called Magpul yesterday and they said about a month for iPhone 5 case/s.

The Field Case has been my favorite besides OEM Bumper.

3. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

That's good to hear but I really hope they figure out the issue with the oily residue. I have no idea where it comes from but it's definitely an issue with their cases. Still would like to find something similar in the meantime just in case theirs gets delayed for some reason.

4. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

thanks for checking. My favorite case for my iPhone 4, so looking forward to the 5 version.

5. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Urban armor guard!

Gadgetmac has a nice review on them

6. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Are you serious? That's absolutely nothing like the Magpul.

7. cdcrowell macrumors 6502

cdcrowell

i got this one at radio shack, kinda has the same feel and the lip does not overlap

Attached Files:

8. egonpax macrumors 6502

Is that the Body Glove above? Looks interesting.

Also, I really dig the Magpul cases as well. Minus the weird oily sweat. Both my wife and I have them on our 4s and I can't wait until they come out with one for the 5. Plus it matches all my other Magpul accessorized items. ;)

If Magpul says that they will be releasing them in a month... That means we'll actually see them in about 6 months. :rolleyes: I'm still waiting for the XTM handstop...

9. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

I have the Magpul Field Executive Case for my iP4.

No idea what you guys are talking about the oil residue stuff.

Best case hands-down. Except for elementcase, but that's on a whole different level.

10. SwisströM, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

SwisströM macrumors newbie

I thought I was the only one having the crazy oil residue problem...

anyway I've spent something like 200 dollars in iphone 4's cases and the magpul one was the best for my needs.

11. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

looking forward to a new Magpul case

however, the minimalist design of the Incipio Feather has won me over for now

12. gadgetmonster macrumors regular

i posted a note on their facebook page, they didn't reply but its nice to hear they are going to release one. I am not sure what I'm doing yet case wise, i may just go naked with a skin protector for awhile.

13. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Sure

14. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Funny, that's my plan too. The Feather in black looks and feels great on a black iPhone 5. Now, if I can get a Magpul Executive in Flat Dark Earth my collection will be complete. . . For now . . .

15. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I had the same weird, oily residue problem with my Executive Field case for my iphone 4 and a buddy of mine had the same problem as well. Something is definitely up but I'm not sure what the problem could be.

16. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Looks to be much bulkier than the magpul to me. I'm looking for slim, buttons covered, top and bottom protected and lay on the table design with no screen overlap. It's proving to be much harder to find than I thought it would be.

17. lordhamster macrumors 6502

Re the oil issue. Magpul is well known for making Magazines for AR15 style rifles. Magazines contain moving parts which are oiled to assure trouble-free action. It is entirely possible that these cases were exposed to the oil if stored in the same warehouse.

18. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

From my experience, there's nothing quite like Magpul's iPhone cases. Hopefully they release their iPhone 5 version with little improvements over previous cases.

Thanks! Though these two cases are at entirely different categories.

19. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

It really isn't much bulkier. All buttons are covered except the mute switch. I had both for my 4S and liked the UAG better. Just throwing an option out there for ya.

20. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I appreciate the suggestion - it's just not quite what I'm looking for.

21. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

might order Incipio NGP while I wait for Magpul.

22. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Incipio NGP just arrived.

FYI, not a bad alternative while waiting for the Magpul. The Magpul executive is my favorite iPhone 4 case. The NGP is not quite the same, but has a pretty similar feel, thickness, weight to the Magpul. Now if they just had Flat Dark Earth color in the NGP . . .

23. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

The reviews on Amazon for NGP indicate that fit is bad for this version. The "Frequency" case seems to have much better reviews, but I hate having to spend $25 as a temporary case until my $10 Magpul case arrives. (Although I went through 6 or 7 cases for the iPhone 4 before I found the Magpul.

Good to keep looking for something else..

24. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Lot of complaints about poor quality control of the Feather on Amazon. Peeling etc. A lot of these cases were rushed out.

25. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

My feather never peeled, but the design did allow the corners to lift back a little when in and out of my pocket. Kind of annoying. So I changed to a similar alternative from Photive and have been using it since. These minimalist black cases look great on the black iPhone, as the buttons and frame blend in so well. (Still waiting for Magpul for times when I want more protection.)