Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
This guy's always straight to the point. You'll never see the establishment (The Verge, Engadget, etc..} tell it like it is. Good on this guy. Liquid Retina. Lol

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I did watch it in the end as it autoplayed next.

I won’t disagree with him about the Xr display.

I don't disagree either...to a point. The people who frequent tech blogs, YouTube reviews, etc, are the folks you pay attention to specs like this and will notice. The average consumer couldnt care less and as long as it appears good enough to them, they're fine. As Lew points our, the non-plus iPhones have been rocking the same PPI for years and there has been zero uproar from iPhone owners about it. Things like size of the device, battery and camera quality matter more. They have no clue what resolution any of there tech has.

Do I think Apple is doing this to cut their costs as much as possible and maximize profit? Yup, for certain. Should tech/smartphone enthusiasts get a XR? In most cases, nope. Should general consumers stay away? Only if they actually give a ****—most won’t care one bit.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I don't disagree either...to a point. The people who frequent tech blogs, YouTube reviews, etc, are the folks you pay attention to specs like this and will notice. The average consumer couldnt care less and as long as it appears good enough to them, they're fine. As Lew points our, the non-plus iPhones have been rocking the same PPI for years and there has been zero uproar from iPhone owners about it. Things like size of the device, battery and camera quality matter more. They have no clue what resolution any of there tech has.

Do I think Apple is doing this to cut their costs as much as possible and maximize profit? Yup, for certain. Should tech/smartphone enthusiasts get a XR? In most cases, nope. Should general consumers stay away? Only if they actually give a ****—most won’t care one bit.
Yes I’m speaking from the point of a tech enthusiast. A normal person wouldn’t even notice or care.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Yes I’m speaking from the point of a tech enthusiast. A normal person wouldn’t even notice or care.

I believe normal users will notice the difference when they see their video is not as sharp as they've been used to seeing. Especially if they're coming from a 1080p or 2K display. The guy in the video is spot on, Apple thinks people are stupid.

Reactions: iSilas

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
That made me laugh, because it's exactly what will happen. Coining the term "Liquid Retina" is full of cheese, and might be the single-most gimmicky marketing spin we've ever seen from Apple. It'll work though, rest assured. They have histrically had the best LCD panels.
I think it’s right up there with “infinity display”...

Reactions: Cryates

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'd withhold judgment until I've seen it in person. Apple is known for collaborating their screens really well, so we shall see tomorrow (or whenever they goes on display) at the Apple Stores.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I think it’s right up there with “infinity display”...
Of course. It's all marketing jargon. The only difference here is no one else is doing the curved edges like Samsung. Apple put a marketing spin on a screen that isn't much different than the original retina display, which were also LCD, and by Apple standards "Liquid Retina", by the way.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
But guys, I thought we didn't need 1080p anyway. I heard that from Unboxed Therapy.
Are you referring to his Pocophone video? If so, you have a point, but I think he's angling this more from the point that this $750 phone has a lower-res display than their old flagship phones, like the 6/7/8 Plus phones that sold in the same price range.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I don't care either way, it doesn't affect me at all,but surely you can see he has a point?

I think resolution isn't an important metric for a phone screen as long as it's above a certain number. He's just complaining because Apple videos get views.

Hell, the video kept repeating that it has the same resolution as the 4. That's blatantly false.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think resolution isn't an important metric for a phone screen as long as it's above a certain number. He's just complaining because Apple videos get views.

Hell, the video kept repeating that it has the same resolution as the 4. That's blatantly false.
I thought he said it had the same ppi as the iPhone 4? Although in the next breath he pulled out a galaxy S4 and said it had a 1080p display. I find his style quite annoying because he shouts a lot so I was kind of dipping in and out of the video.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Well seeing this topic is here, I found Lewis's view interesting...

What a ****ing hack. He jumps back and forth between PPI and resolution in the very first minute of the video as if the two are interchangeable. What a shmuck.

Reactions: Michael Goff

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I thought he said it had the same ppi as the iPhone 4? Although in the next breath he pulled out a galaxy S4 and said it had a 1080p display. I find his style quite annoying because he shouts a lot so I was kind of dipping in and out of the video.

He was talking about PPI and called it resolution. I'm not even joking.
[doublepost=1537482331][/doublepost]
What a ****ing hack. He jumps back and forth between PPI and resolution in the very first minute of the video as if the two are interchangeable. What a shmuck.

He knows most people watching the video wont care if it's factually correct.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
He's an amusing reviewer, he is right about Apple trying to push people to spend more money to get the higher resolution screens. That's greedy of them to do.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
He's an amusing reviewer, he is right about Apple trying to push people to spend more money to get the higher resolution screens. That's greedy of them to do.

As opposed to other companies that want you to spend less money.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

Wow, your one of the first people on this forum that picked up on that.

Kudos.

Don’t think he actually knows the difference between resolution and ppi he keeps those metrics interchangeably.

He claims the xr has the same resolution as the iPhone 4s, then he goes on to claim that the device isn’t capable of displaying hd videos and shows a screenshot of YouTube....
20aaf61eff4913501a5600724813131e.png

I couldn’t stop laughing.
Guess his fans don’t know the difference either.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
My mom needs a new phone to replace her 6 Plus and I am her tech advisor. I had thought that she needs to stick with iPhone bc she is so tech-challenged but now I'm re-thinking this as lack of home button and the switch to gestures will completely rock her world.o_O. At least with Samsung she would have a back button and virtual home button.....

I am in the same boat. I will eventually need to replace their iPhone 6/7 pluses and I don't think I will ever switch them to Android. The ease of use of iPhone (can be boring) is exactly what they need... For my aging parents, the static grid of apps and the never changing interface help them to navigate and learn the software better.

I use an Android which I love but I might also get an iPhone so I can do iPhone stuff with them- iMessage / FaceTime once I figure out how to use 2 phones which seem so extra? (although I am an very 'extra' person lol). I still think my parents prefer the iMessage and FaceTime to Messenger though... I am glad Apple remove the home button (thank God!) but I wish Apple would bring Apple pencil support to all their devices.

Anyways, I think gestures will be easy to learn. I actually have gestures on my Note 8 instead of buttons. I think my parents will be able to pick that up. However, nothing is set in stone; I will need to think this over soon. lol.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
What? You're comparing the lowest end to the maxed our highest end. What are you talking about?
That's the point... Apple is pushing users to waste their money on the $1500 phone to get a better resolution instead of atleast adding the same resolution from their 5.5" device to their 6.1" one. That's not business that's greed and milking cash from costumers as much as they can.

Reactions: satpak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.