Anyway to exchange brand new sealed 1G iPod touch for new 2G touch without a receipt?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gsugators, Sep 9, 2008.

1. gsugators macrumors member

I have a 1G iPod Touch 32GB that is still sealed and unopened that I received as a birthday gift. I don't have a receipt for it. Anyway to return it to the Apple store and get the new 2G touch?

I would appreciate your suggestions.

2. GCY macrumors regular

call apple and ask if you could return it? You could always bring it to the store and ask for an exchange since a new one is out. Though, I have heard it doesn't always work.

I returned my sealed ipod touch way pass their 14 day return policy just by calling them and explaining the situation(made something up:D) I thought I had to pay to ship it back but apple actually send me a fedex label:)

3. gsugators thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good but i received it from my sister about two weeks ago. She lives cross country and I am sure she doesn't have the receipt. I didn't open it because I heard about the possibility of a update.

4. GCY macrumors regular

yea..U just take it back without the receipt. Just say u got it as a gift(which u did). As I already mentioned, it may or may not work, depending on the store.

5. gsugators thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help since I'm new to the site. Has this worked for anyone on the site? I appreciate all of your help.

6. Strategy macrumors member

You could always take it back to wal-mart. They return anything without a receipt. They will give you a gift card, but you can just use it in store when they get them.

7. gsugators thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I know you could probably do that but I am not sure I want to go that route.

8. Zihuatanejo macrumors newbie

I just ordered a Macbook online yesterday for college and it came with an iPod, so I chose the Touch.

Is it possible that I take the printed invoice/receipt to an Apple store and they could exchange it for the 2G?

9. California King macrumors 65816

Not my Walmart. The returns department is full of old grumpy witches who don't like people returning stuff (even with receipt). Last I tried to return a xbox 360 controller because I accidentally bought a wired one instead of a wireless one, and they said that you can't return it...got the manager, and helped me out with no problem! :rolleyes:

10. gsugators thread starter macrumors member

Also I'm not sure how they would feel about giving me a $500 (32GB value) store credit.

11. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

walmart will take it back and give you store credit, on a card which you can sell on ebay for 5% off the face value.

12. gsugators thread starter macrumors member

On a $500 item?

13. Tragedies macrumors 6502

As far as I know, Apple never allows you to simply trade in an old iPod, wether it's unopened or not.

You can try your chances, and it may work. But if it doesn't, the 1G iPod touch is still an excellent device (the only difference, as I see fit, is the volume buttons and a speaker which most people would use) =)

All the best of luck.

14. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

as long as they sell it.

15. gsugators thread starter macrumors member

No go at two walmarts. I guess I will give the Apple store a try.

16. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I had a friend try and they said nope. They are prepared for this.

17. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

not a chance. Think about all those people who buy laptops and "lose" their receipts. Everyone would do this. Sell it on ebay, craigslist etc if you really want one, or make your sister do it.

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

best buy should give you store credit on unopened stuff with no receipt

19. gsugators thread starter macrumors member

Exhanged 1Gen Touch for new 2 Gen Touch

Well I got my 32GB 1G Ipod touch exchanged for the new 2G iPod touch yesterday at the Apple Store. My beautiful girlfriend went in there with my old iPod and 5 minutes later she came out with the new 2G iPod Touch. She paid a $20 difference. That was a great birthday present (yesterday was my BDay). All I need now is a decent case. The Apple Store had no 2G cases.

20. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

YES i did it with a 1.5 mnth old itouch OPENED receiptless

edit: they do it buy serial # so a receipt is uneeded

21. djspan101 macrumors newbie

1g touch to 2g touch

hi,
    i have a 1g touch that was given to me as a christmas present in december 2007,
    i have reciept,
    i go it a currys in the uk would they replace for a 2g, does the touch have to be faulty? it came with a 1 year warranty,
    please help, i know its a long shot, but i'd love a new touch!,
    cheers,
    DJSpan:apple:

22. gsugators thread starter macrumors member

Good Luck with that one. If it's unopened and sealed your chances are good. However, used and purchased in Dec. 2007, chances are not so good.

23. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Hahaha...

I have an '07 Chevy Equinox that I got in May '07...

Much to my dismay the dealership wouldn't exchange it for the '08 model when they came out.

:mad:

24. gsugators thread starter macrumors member

LOL. My situation was quite different which is why I got mine exchanged. But sure, I would love to trade in my 08 Honda Accord for the 09 Honda Accord:D

25. dmcman73 macrumors newbie

I had an iPod touch 1G and the screen was blacking out on me. I went to the Apple Store to have it fixed (not trade it in) and the guy at the Genius Bar told me that they always replace faulty iPods with refurbs of the same model. But since my iPod was only a week old he was going to exchange it for a new boxed 1G. I said "THANKS, but man I wished I waited a week before buying it since the 2G's came out" he then said no problem and that I could get the 2G version instead of the 1G replacement for $20 more. I now have the 2G version.

It seems that maybe a lot of people have been wanting to trade in their's for a 2G model and I am assuming they don't want another problem like they did when they dropped the price of the iPhone after people spent a ton of money on it. I say if it's still sealed and less then 2weeks, you may have a really good chance in getting the 2G one for $20 more. Just tell them it was a gift from your family and that they didn't realize that there was a newer model out.

If it was purchased at an Apple store, they can go by serial number. If it was purchased from a retailer, they are going to want to see a receipt.

Good luck.