Anyway to use iP4 as a "USB drive"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MrMister111, Oct 7, 2010.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Hi

I want to carry some files with me on my iPhone 4. then plug it into a PC with the iP4 UB lead and be able to copy them from the iP4 to the PC, eg docs, zip files. I dont want to have to install anything else on the PC the files are going to though (its a work PC)

Is this possible? with an app? - called what? Can it work with the USB lead or only WiFi, as the PCs I want to connect with dont have WiFi on

cheers

2. v15h44l macrumors newbie

3. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

I would love to know how to do this as well

yes, mine is jailbrokeded

4. samcraig macrumors P6

why not just use DropBox.com. No need to jailbreak. No need to install anything. And you can access the files anywhere - for free.

Sometimes simplicity is the best answer...

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Depending on the OP's needs, I'm not sure that Dropbox is an alternative to a USB drive-like solution. Dropbox requires internet access, which isn't always possible. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. Plus, there is a security risk with Dropbox, as a third party has access to your files.

6. Infinitygraphix macrumors member

Well, the easiest way would be to just send the file via email no ?

The iPhone has an internet connexion and.. well every (work) computer has one no ?

7. Skika macrumors 68030

+ time required to download a 1gb+ file vs time required copying it from usb device.

8. phillq23 macrumors member

search USB Drive in cydia. if that doesnt work, just try USB instead

9. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Agreed, but some offices block the site (like mine) :eek:.

10. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

This.

Do to security reasons a lot of my files cant be viewed by the public. But I do a lot of my work at home and bring it to my commander to review. I would love to be able to just bring my phone instead of carrying all kinds of crap.

11. dirkdirk80 macrumors member

It'd be nice if you could do it from Apple...:(

12. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

I got notta when I did this.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

Dropbox is known to corrupt some kinds of files. You have to be careful what files you try to put in the dropbox. I discovered this when I tried to use it between an iMac and a MBP. I would copy the file to the dropbox and see it updated on the MBP, but trying to use the file would fail and the application would say "corrupted file". I looked in the dropbox forum and there was a thread that say you can't sync that type of file.

14. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

You can use an app like USB Disk to transfer your files. You need to have iTunes installed on both computers, though.

15. Orion126 macrumors regular

I wouldn't recommend an iPhone for military work...there are USB flash drives that have encryption technology needed for such secret information such as IronKey:

https://www.ironkey.com/

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I love the app named 'Files.'

I love Dropbox too, but when you don't have internet on the other computer then Files is awesome to have.

When you have iTunes on both computers you can use USB to copy files on and off. When you don't have iTunes you can copy files over Wifi but you DON'T need internet. I've created a wifi network with my Macbook, transferred files to my phone, and then e-mailed those files from the phone. Works great.

(And heck, so many people have iTunes you can USUALLY use the USB method.)

http://www.olivetoast.com/files/

17. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

Nah not Military, thats cool though

18. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Here is a perfect need for an app:

Someone make an app that allows people to copy files to its directory via iTunes (like what Files does), but then encrypts the files and moves them to a private place. This way, the files are inaccessible in iTunes until decrypted on the device, and if the phone is jailbroken, the files are not decodable either.

Of course, adding features like destroying data after "X" bad attempts on the passphrase, as well as a "duress" code wouldn't hurt either.

19. nednarm macrumors 6502

Jailbreak and install USB drive. works an absolute treat.

20. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Nothing comes up when I search for USB Drive in Cydia?

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

only con with that program is it partitions the drive so to speak

Ideally, I would want a solution to access any remaining space on phone vs having to set aside say 2 gigs that can only be used by the app

22. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

My office network does too. My iPhone is not jailbroken. I cant install apps on office PC, so no iTunes either.

Suppose could email, but still not best, sometimes office network stops stuff, and as you say big downloads aren't allowed.

23. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Do you honestly see yourself using your iPhone as a USB drive? Even if it had that functionality (it doesn't), how would you plug it in? You would have to bring the cable with you, which is far less convenient than a USB thumb drive.

24. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Just for work. I have a spare cable at work and home for charging, so always have a cable and always have my iPhone. I cant take a USB drive all the time, as virus are about at work etc etc.

So for the odd file I need, I could take it on my iPhone