AOL - AIM is a definite

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindsayanng, Jun 12, 2008.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

apple.com

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I thought this was obvious back when AOL showed off their app at the SDK event back in March...

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

4. LangleyAls macrumors member

it was however not mentioned in detail at the WWDC so this confirmation is good news, thanks.

5. The General macrumors 601

Hopefully that's because Apple has iChat Mobile up their sleeves. :cool:

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

After speaking with a couple of colleagues who went to WWDC, I can confirm that an AIM app is on the way, as well as a MySpace app.

8. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i'm just happy knowing that FOR SURE there will be an AIM option that was built by a major player in the IM chat world.. rather some some attempt at integrating AOL or YAHOO, ect into a badly organized all inclusive app.. like a cheap ichat

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Until Apple gets the background notification thing working, IM on the iPhone's going to be borderline useless for me. Anytime you shut off the iPhone (or switch to another program), you won't be getting any IMs! :(

10. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

After the nice iPhone Facebook version that Facebook made, I think we can pretty well assume that there will be a well-done Facebook App coming also.

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Apple has a lot of stock in the ichat brand so I can't see them promoting any AIM client besides ichat. Maybe AOL is working on their own here. The only way I would not expect an offical ichat app is if ATT is specifically preventing Apple from doing it. SMS generates a lot of money, and instant messaging over the unlimited data plan would kill a lot of that revenue.

12. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i think that the background running apps was just a guideline for the basic developers. I would bet money on the fact that AIM or Apple itself has made an App that will run in the background. Obviously it is possible, look at the iPod app, it is always running.. So either AOL said they would make an AIM app for apple so long as it was allowed to run in the background and Apple said ok (because they are getting a portion of the profit if it is not free, OR they are getting good marketing)

OR apple just decided that ANY AND ALL apps that will run in the background will be made by them and them only. I think this is a good thing because that way we dont have to worry about malicious apps that are draining our battery life and slowing things down.

Like i said, i would put MONEY on the fact that there will be a background running IM application, made by who is the question.

13. The General macrumors 601

Maybe you missed the part of the WWDC keynote where they spoke about this. Apple will run a global Push notification service that any developer can use. AIM will make use of this. So, while AIM is not running in the background, you'll still receive notification of instant messages. Even with vibration and sounds. Then, if you have 5 or 6 programs that need to send notifications or whatever, they all use the same notification backend, thus conserving CPU cycles and battery life.

14. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I did not watch the keynote at all, i read a few blogs about it and skimmed through, so yes i missed that part.

So then there is no reason why we WOULD NOT have a good IM app.. I am happy because the only people i text now have iphones or the sidekick. I can definitely save some moola on the texting plan.

and i still feel that anyone who says an app will not be developed because it can not run in the background is way off base. i still feel apps that NEED to run that way will be either made by apple or have a special contract with apple.

15. newyorksole macrumors 68020

My friends either have sidekicks or iPhones, even the ones with sidekicks still text alot although almost everyone around here has a sidekick (well the black and spanish people)

16. pintnight macrumors 6502

I rather wait for Jivetalk from Beejive. I need one IM client that does multiple protocols. I have too many people using different IM clients.

17. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I was just wondering about the myspace app the other day. I pray it's nothin like the one that was done on the SK as it was terrible.

18. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

call me neive, but what kind of APP would you need for myspace? I can get on myspace.com easily from my iphone and bop around on there.. Would it just be a mobil myspace where you can add pictures to?

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Right, we just have to wait a few more months for Apple to release this push notification service. The iPhone 2.0 update shortly coming will not have it, which means the first round of IM clients will not run in the background.

At least the light at the end of this tunnel is known not to be an oncoming train. :)

20. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

well, the only two things i wanted out of my iphone that it didnt already come with was AIM and MMS.. seems likely that we will be getting both eventaully.. (HOPEFULL with the MMS) and that will make me happy.. hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later too.

21. piecinitup macrumors member

I have a feeling the AIM client will solve the MMS problem, allowing you to send pictures through the client to phones that can receive them, and the other way around too. We'll see tho.

22. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Well the app on the SK allowed you to pretty much do everything that you could on the net without actually having to use the browser such as approve comments, send messages, etc. The only problem I had with the app was that it wasn't real time as they portrayed it to be all the time.

23. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

that seems redundant to me. Something you can do ONLINE just, not through a browser.. its like the ebay app.. seems redundant to me.

24. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Yeah, I really need a background running ichat app. I just hope it has a feature where the phone vibrates when you have a message on silent.

25. Dero501 macrumors newbie

Well, AIM lets you message a mobile phone, so does this mean that you can save some texts by using AIM on the iPhone?