Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Aperture 1.1 Universal Update and $200 Price Drop [Update]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
51,594
13,227



Update: Apple's site has been updated and shows the update and also the new price of $299. $149 for Educational price. Official press release here. Aperture 1.0 users who bought Aperture for the previous price of $499 are eligble for a $200 coupon good at the Apple online store.
Apple's Hot News Feed (RSS) reveals that Apple appears to be releasing Aperture 1.1 on April 13th. The news appeared on their RSS feed this evening with the following description:Aperture 1.1, a significant update to the revolutionary all-in-one post production tool for photographers, runs natively on both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs. The update features dramatically improved RAW image rendering and a new set of advanced RAW adjustment controls. Likewise, it delivers impressive speed gains on any Mac. At a new lower price of $299, Aperture is within reach of anyone shooting with a digital SLR camera. [Apr 13, 2006]

- Apple Hot News 4/13/06 8:30 AM
The RSS description appears to have been posted prematurely as it simply links to Apple's old Aperture page but does include a detailed Aperture 1.1 description.

New features include:

- Improved RAW Image Quality
- RAW Fine Tuning
- Auto Noise Compensation
- New Color Meter
- Enhanced Export Controls
- Universal Binary support
- Other Improvements


The new $299 price represents a $200 drop from the previous retail price ($499).

Article Link: Aperture 1.1 Universal Update and $200 Price Drop [Update]
 

drbrog

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
92
0
Chicago
Apple penalizes early adopters (e.g., beta testers) of their software by doing this kind of thing. I hope purchasers of the first version will get a free upgrade.
They are still listing Aperature 1.0 on the website for $499.
 
Comment

razzmatazz

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
89
0
Texas
timswim78 said:
I guess that the people who paid $499 might be a little ticked off, if the price really does drop by $200.

Yea that is what it said in RSS Feed...me and him saw it like the same time lol
 
Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
8,568
5,483
Canada
I hope the price drop is a result of competition from Adobe LightRoom.. I've tried light room and I find it pretty impressive.

I'd be interested in the price comparison between the two.
 
Comment

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
493
0
Dark Side Of The Moon
Did I once hear correctly that Aperture has some pretty hefty hardware requirements to run effectively? My brother, a died-in-the-wool Windows user (and heavy duty photographer) is starting to turn some attention towards the Intel Macs now that Boot Camp and the VT options are making the rounds. But, he's not going to go any further than a Mini to begin with. I think he would fall in love with this program, though.

Do you think Aperture will run worth a hoot on a Mini, or just look too bloated? I understand LightBox has much lighter hardware requirements to run smoothly. Heck, even if that's so, he might be inclined to get a Mini just to run that (since it's going to be Mac only at first). Then he'll *have* to work with OS X a bit and learn how much nicer it is. :D
 
Comment

jrhone

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
69
0
Billy Boo Bob said:
Did I once hear correctly that Aperture has some pretty hefty hardware requirements to run effectively? My brother, a died-in-the-wool Windows user (and heavy duty photographer) is starting to turn some attention towards the Intel Macs now that Boot Camp and the VT options are making the rounds. But, he's not going to go any further than a Mini to begin with. I think he would fall in love with this program, though.

Do you think Aperture will run worth a hoot on a Mini, or just look too bloated? I understand LightBox has much lighter hardware requirements to run smoothly. Heck, even if that's so, he might be inclined to get a Mini just to run that (since it's going to be Mac only at first). Then he'll *have* to work with OS X a bit and learn how much nicer it is. :D

Aperture ean fine on a Powerbook G4, new dual core minis will be just fine with it....Lightbox has lighter requirements, but was more sluggish on my Dual 2.0 G5...once you get lots of images in the library it slowed WAY down and never ran very smooth.....
 
Comment

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
685
0
If the price drops 200 bucks that would make the edu price a steal! I'm there. :)
 
Comment

Nemesis

macrumors regular
$500 was terrible

Peace said:
Apple has already changed the newsfeed removing any reference to price.;)
Tell me Apple doesn't peek in here.

$500 for Aperture is waaaay too much. It's was not worth it.
Something between $200 and $300 looks more reasonable, especially with Adobe coming in.
Adobe, please come with Lightroom and $150 price tag!
;)
 
Comment

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
474
0
Salt Lake City
I agree that the price drop is more than welcome. I was quite surprised to see it so high when it was introduced.

Does Apple know something about a competing Adobe product that we don't?
 
Comment

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
1,536
266
Houston, Texas
Price drop and new features sound good to me.

I just heard somebody say that Aperture will run fine on a Powerbook G4. Is that true? I thought it required a G5 and even ran slow on some G5s. I downloaded a program that Apple had to see if my system could handle Aperture and it said "no". Anyways with performance improvements maybe it could. It would be nice to try it, maybe i'd switch from iPhoto, but only if it was faster than iPhoto...
 
Comment

poolin1243

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
301
0
Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
for the professionals out there like myself

this is a blessing, and a total outrage.

great that its going universal for those who use intels.

but..


for myself, i purchased 3 copies of aperture to use in various locations. At 499 each, thats a hefty sum. To have the price go down 200.00 after just one release...it is a real kick in the pants. I think all those who have purchased it and incorperated it into their workflows already, will be quite angered by this news.

i have aperture on a 12 and 15" powerbooks...run ok..not great..but it will work. For the 12 inch you have to download a hack..which was incredibly simple to do once u find it.
 
Comment

chrismcdowell25

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2004
56
1
price drops

Only buy things that you feel are worth it. If the price drops it is just cheaper the next time you buy it or upgrade. You bought it at $499 because you thought it was worth $499. Dont complain now that it is cheaper.
 
Comment

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
413
292
I'm guessing the EDU version will now be $200. I WANT it to be $150, that would be great!

Either way, those early adopters will be mad, understandably. Hopefully Apple can give them a next free upgrade or something. I can't wait to see the new RAW conversion, and to pick me up a copy of the EDU vers!
 
Comment

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
757
0
Bay Area, CA
poolin1243 said:
for myself, i purchased 3 copies of aperture to use in various locations. At 499 each, thats a hefty sum. To have the price go down 200.00 after just one release...it is a real kick in the pants. I think all those who have purchased it and incorperated it into their workflows already, will be quite angered by this news.

*sigh* Was $499 worth it for you? It must have been, given that you purchased 3 copies. So why are you ticked off that the price drops by $200 later on?

If it wasn't worth the $499, then you wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) have paid for it. IMHO, you got exactly what you paid for, and you knew how much it cost, so why should you be angry? Sure, it would've been nice to have the extra $200, but it's nothing to get "angered" about.
 
Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
8,568
5,483
Canada
Not every decision is going to make everyone happy.

Life Sucks ( really, what else can be said?!! :-D )


poolin1243 said:
for myself, i purchased 3 copies of aperture to use in various locations. At 499 each, thats a hefty sum. To have the price go down 200.00 after just one release...it is a real kick in the pants. I think all those who have purchased it and incorperated it into their workflows already, will be quite angered by this news.
 
Comment

MacEyeDoc

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2002
95
1
poolin1243 said:
for the professionals out there like myself

this is a blessing, and a total outrage.

great that its going universal for those who use intels.

but..


for myself, i purchased 3 copies of aperture to use in various locations. At 499 each, thats a hefty sum. To have the price go down 200.00 after just one release...it is a real kick in the pants. I think all those who have purchased it and incorperated it into their workflows already, will be quite angered by this news.

I totally agree - I bought Aperture at the $499 price because I had 25,000 photos in iPhoto 5 and it was choking - only to find that Aperture was really Beta software, with poor RAW conversion and sometimes quite beach-ball-y. LightRoom was/is better in many respects and was FREE to try. Now they are lowering the price by $200!! I really will think 2 or 3 times before buying new software from Apple in the future.

Apple Thinks Different: Beta Testers wanted - you pay $200 more than what the software will eventually cost to find bugs for us. Sheesh!

I WILL be asking for a rebate.
 
Comment

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
3,140
3,777
Sounds like a great update, and at 200 bucks this is a much safer purchase.

I'd love 2.0 to give Adobe a serious run for their money in Photoshop. Any app that takes that long to load, is so hard to learn, and in general is so cumbersome, is just _screaming_ for Apple to simplify.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.