Aperture 3 = $79.99 in the new Mac App Store?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by aristobrat, Jan 6, 2011.

1. aristobrat macrumors G4

2. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

I was just going to post this as well....

$79.99 ????

I am stunned.... is it really the same version? I cant see how it wouldent be but at $120.00 price cut its hard not to question.

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Damn hard to beat price does this mean there will be an update to aperture soon :/

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I've heard that some predict something by q2 this year, but who knows for sure It does seem reasonable that an update will be released sometime this year.

5. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

The price is really great. Aperture is even more a better deal now.

6. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

So the obvious, if you bought at $199 within x days can you get refund for the diff?? past 30 or 15 days?
    I bought June-2010, so not complaining about that for me, but others I'msure will.
    There should be price cuts across the board for all digital dist apps.
    Dist cost's thing. No warehouse, shipping, etc.

7. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I just bought it 7 days ago :eek: I am planning on calling Apple and seeing if I can get anything out of them. It's worth a try.

8. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Pixelmator also costs half, 23,99 €*instead of 59 €. :)

9. aristobrat thread starter macrumors G4

That's a graphics editor, right? Or can you organize your photos into events, albums, smart albums, etc with it?

10. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

It's an alternative to Photoshop Express and Acorn. I use it in conjunction with Aperture and I'm very happy with it! I hope Apple keeps the pricing for Aperture 4 ;)

11. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

Amazing deals so far on the Mac App Store, Aperture 3 is only £44.99 ( $69 ) when in the UK Apple Store its £173!!! ( $268 )

12. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

13. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

my co-worker got Aperture 3 as christmas gift from his wife, lets see.....Dec 25th thru now is....12 days, in my memory Apple has 14 day return policy so he'd better return the box $200 version for the $80 online version....

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Someone posted something about the EULA mentioning that the app is for personal use only as opposed professional use. I am unsure if that is the case but if so, I wonder if that explains the discount.

It looks like I meant to say +1 to rusty2192. ;) :eek:

15. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

As I just bought it 7 days ago, this was my first thought, but I looked up the return policy and opened software is not returnable. I have already opened it and registered the product key, so I don't think this is possible for me.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ I would call Apple. It seems to me that providing it is the same thing as the digital download you should be able to argue that you would have waited for the deep discount. However, I have a sneaky feeling that there is a difference that is not immediately detected. Perhaps there is no upgrade path, something like an EDU license.

All I can say is if I had purchased software within the last 15 days and it was now 50% cheaper, if not more, I'd be on the phone. I hope compensation comes where appropriate.

17. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Don't worry, I will be calling them. In the mean time, I just got the chance to update my MacBook and get into the Mac App Store. The screenshot below is the part concerning the license. I'm not sure how to interpret the part about businesses. Maybe somebody with a better understanding will be able to clarify this and how it would affect commercial use of the App Store version of Aperture 3.

Attached Files:

18. BMP84 macrumors regular

BMP84

Great deal for those who don't own it, but I have owned it since launch.. So I'm far from mad about the price difference. I have got more than my money worth.

I do feel bad for those who just purchased it outside the return window. Lovely program though.

19. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

My question is if I download it on my MacBook Pro can I also load it on my iMac in the bedroom?
    :confused:

20. aristobrat thread starter macrumors G4

The terms of the App Store say you can put the apps on any Mac you own or control. Non-business use only, though.

The link to TUAW a few posts above shows the actual lines from the terms and conditions.

21. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

You could do that even if you bought it shrink wrapped: the EULA allows you to install it on one desktop Mac and one mobile Mac.

22. niallc macrumors newbie

It should be more obvious what the licensing terms are, but to be honest, this is fair enough.
    This is similar to the price difference between MS Office Professional and the Home and Student Edition. The latter can only be used for non-commercial use.
    Also the licence is non-transferable, where as boxed software is normally transferrable.
    If you look at the text description of Aperture in the App Store, it seems to be aimed at iPhoto users looking for more power, rather than professionals. Professionals will continue persumably to buy the boxed version, which probably also has a different support agreement.

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yes.

Open the MAS on your iMac and log in with your Apple ID. Click on the purchases tab and the apps you have downloaded on your MacBook Pro will be available to download and install on your iMac.

24. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Yes. And the interesting thing is that the AppStore recognizes my already installed retail version of Aperture 3 which is licensed for commercial use, but the AppStore nonetheless tells me about this "new" EULA.

On other pages, I have read that basically there also is an alternate EULA for the AppStore version of Aperture 3, which allows a business to install the software on one computer that can be used my as many people as you like.

It is rather apparent that Apple has not fully thought this concept through. -- OR -- they have thought it through, but only cared for consumers in their AppStore design and aim to leave the traditional, physical installation medium and its distribution channels for "commercial" users.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ I agree. However, my discontent with this idea is that as a purchaser of what is now presumed to be the "professional" version, what do I get? Anyone can buy the cheaper version and use it for professional use. I'm not calling it right, but I am calling it SOP for many because there is really no stopping them. I don't recall which program I had at one point, I want to say it was AutoCAD R14 where if you bought it at student discount the output printed pages on a plotter had a watermark that indicated your version was a student learning edition and not intended for professional use.

I am happy with Aperture for the most part but if I'm going to be faced with this decision to pay more than 50% just to "know" I can legally profit from its use then I am not quite sure what my decision would be when the time comes to make it. I generally don't do pirated apps, I'm a bit of a ***** in that regards. It is not to say I don't, it's just more of a concern that I have. However, in this case I wonder "who will know" as I would imagine others would feel similar.

IMHO, Apple needs to be a bit more clear about their EULA and they need not to lump my paid physical copy in when I view the app store. If they do that, they need to be expressly clear that the EULA of the app store does not apply when it detects a previously installed version of the application. I want to say that the interpretation of their EULA thus far seems spot on and that the version in the app store is not intended for commercial use.