Aperture 4.0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shaunp, Jun 2, 2014.

1. shaunp macrumors 65816

I can't see Apple releasing a major new updates to Aperture now after announcing Photos for OS X in 10.10. That together with such cheap deals on Creative Cloud for Photographers (not to mention frequent updates), effectively means Aperture is dead.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a big new release as Aperture is so much easier to use than Lightroom, but it might as well be powered by coal given how old it is and how far it is behind Lightroom.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Very possibly, but similar arguments over the demise of iWork given the long time span between a major upgrade.

I suspect you're right however, though aperture still works, and it still receives updates from apple.

3. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I'm very curious about this as well. For that matter, I'd hate to see iPhoto die, but I'm assuming it will. It's already the posterchild for how Apple likes to abandon projects after its executives become bored of them, providing only infrequent token updates. Frustrating for users who happen to like the software, but maybe want new features once in awhile.

Right now, I prefer the organization of iPhoto, but find myself in Aperture more and more for its more powerful editing capabilities. Photo Stream in both is convenient for getting photos to and from mobile devices.

The quick demo of "Photos" looked like a direct port of the iOS app. Yuck! :eek: Let's hope there's more to it than that, especially if iPhoto is killed off and Aperture is neglected going forward.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I think it's too soon to say that yet. I just think it's been pushed back. iPhoto is most likely dead, but not Aperture.

5. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I decided to gamble and bought Aperture today anyway. I've waited for months to get a better DAM and decided to wait 'til the afternoon of the WWDC presentation. The hierarchical tagging in Aperture (and similarity to other Mac apps) suits my needs perfectly, the graphics manipulation isn't as important to me. Briefly considered Lightroom but still feel betrayed by Adobe after some critical fonts were deprecated from an older project which clients want extended, so I'm not very keen to give Adobe any more of my money.

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

It's too early to know one way or the other, but the scenario that comes to my mind is that Photos replaces iPhoto, with Aperture then reaching a larger audience than before. Photos for images taken within the iOS universe, Aperture for photographers who use other cameras extensively (and those who want more sophisticated editing options).

iPhoto is much more than the truly casual iOS photographer needs - extending the simplicity of the iOS app to Mac seems a good move for them.

iCloud becomes their library, with all the advantages of a networked photo library.

Naturally, iCloud with no limitation on library size or image size/resolution, no scroll-off, etc. means that, for a price, iCloud becomes a vehicle for Aperture networking as well. PBs of data? That's probably enough to hold most serious photographers for a while.

So, will we see Aperture 4.0? I'm going to say yes, by fall 2014, with a juicy upgrade option for current iPhoto users, maybe even an option for "simple" and "advanced" editing interfaces.

7. tdale macrumors 65816

is the new Photos app to be only in the cloud?

8. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

That's like saying Final Cut is dead because you can edit videos with the Quicktime Player.

Photos is in no way a substitute for Aperture.

9. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

If I had the money, I would buy Aperture. I don't think Apple is abandoning the app.

I also believe the iPhoto is safe. The new photos app looks good for viewing photos, but I see very little there in the way of organizing them. But even if iPhoto died, that would just force me to Aperture, which is where I'm headed anyway.

10. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I think its more likely Photos is to iMovie as Aperture is to Final Cut Pro X, in that they will share the same new, streamlined code base and the pro version will build upon it into an Aperture X.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I would like to see something like: iPhoto with in-app purchases if you want more Aperture like settings that are more advanced. iPhoto beefed up to handle more pictures ala Aperture style. Since they both can share the same library why not merge them if you will. Or something along those lines.

12. garycurtis macrumors 6502

A few things puzzle me. Aperture is (I think) the best-selling Apple application. Why wouldn't they improve on a winning product?

At the same time, DLSR is a 'moving target', with new classes of hardware, mirrorless etc, and so management might anticipate the customers migrating to cellphones or some other image device, with no need of Aperture.

No matter how old Aperture becomes, it still does most of what I need for the foreseeable future . The database for browsing and searching libraries runs circles around LightRoom. I bought both at the same time.

And to be honest, I want to shoot pictures more than I want to sit in front of a computer at home. Out of laziness, or whatever you call it, I can't even use all the AP tools provided. And what Aperture doesn't do, the NIK plug-ins take over. So do I need a rocketship of an image processor? I don't think have the skills.
    And how can you not fall in love with the workflow and user interface? Lightroom might be prettier, but the Modules are a turn-off. (that's a hippie expression for no good).

13. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Gary asks above:
    [[ A few things puzzle me. Aperture is (I think) the best-selling Apple application. Why wouldn't they improve on a winning product? ]]

Historical lesson:
    AppleWorks...

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As mentioned, Aperture is the third top grossing product now in the App Store and the number one grossing Apple product in the App Store. Do you have some evidence AppleWorks was the top grossing Apple software product when they cancelled it?

[​IMG]

15. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The more I have thought about it, the more I disagree. Apple is setting up a new photography ecosystem of course takes care of the huge market of snapshot shooters. But they can use that to then bring in their own plugins (the kind of things that separate iPhoto and Aperture today) and 3rd party plugins.

If Apple calls the advanced solution Aperture, that remains to be seen. I hope in the fall we will be told the complete Apple photography solution...not just the Photos part for folks who only do snapshots.

16. iBug2 macrumors 68040

On the contrary, the fact that Apple is releasing a brand new photos app means that Aperture is not dead. Apple still cares about photo editing so they'll probably release an Aperture replacement which uses the same new technologies as the Photos app, just with more editing options. It'll probably take some time though but just from the looks of the new Photos, I'd say it'll be a great app when they release it.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think apple is changing direction and focus. The more I think about it, the more I believe that Apple will handle photos differently then they do now with iPhoto and Aperture.

They've long given up on trying to market aperture to professional photographers. True many pros still use it, and its not bad, but Adobe beat them out with LR with tie ins to PS and their ability to quickly and consistently upgrade LightRoom.

While Aperture has been very popular in the MAS, I think apple is changing directions on photo management as noted by WWDC and that Aperture falls out of that philosophy. I still use and like Aperture but we've not seen any major upgrade, just updates to make it more compatible to OS updates and a few bug fixes.

18. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The fat lady has not yet sung. So all we can do is guess and hope. We should have info in the fall. I want to hear from Yosemite beta testers about Photos vs iPhoto plus what are the impacts to Aperture.

19. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

iphoto is ok i'm certain, but Photos in just a cloud app that will be out in 2015. I expect some kind of new ilife in the fall.

20. iBug2 macrumors 68040

They are not changing direction, but changing backends. They got rid of the iPhoto and developed a new Photo app, I can only see Aperture 4 being built on this same backend.

21. MCAsan, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014

MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

22. cactus70 macrumors newbie

I use both now

When it was Aperture 3 v's LR3 I used aperture, even when LR4 came along, I tended to stick with aperture but not anymore. LR5 just leaves it for dead and I'd be thrilled if a new version came out but I can't see it happening now, unless it does a MAC Pro and shocks us all. Most of the updates now are just adding new camera's to Aperture's camera raw database. It's still a great editor though but I will never understand why they have just let it drop back so far now in the race, I don't know what they'll have to do to get it up to the standard of LR5 now and I'm so angry about that and that it's really sad. It still has a few tricks Adobe never bothered to add to LR5 and they're good ones too. FRUSTRATED Oh and it by far the better cataloguer/organiser still in my opinion. LR5 eats just things and it can take ages to find them.

23. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Aperture is definitely not dead. Apple is not abandoning the pro software, but it is clearly going through a redesign....especially given the new photos app. Aperture will likely somewhere work with the cloud also.

Don't expect an update until 1st quarter 2015.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The fat lady has sung, and the curtain on Aperture has closed - its dead. :(

25. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Zzz.......why do this Apple!!

When I saw Photos I was like, hey this would be great when it comes to Aperture X! Guess not!!! :mad:

Why can't Apple make photos + build in 3rd party plugin support + multi core and multi GPU support = Aperture X?

I've tried Lightroom before and I hated its workflow, Aperture has a much more smoother workflow. Zzzzzzzz