Aperture 4 Out Soon?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SayCheese, Feb 4, 2012.

1. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I have just read the following on Scott Bourne's twitter feed.

'Received a phone call from someone claiming to be an Apple employee - blocked number. Said Aperture 4 called Aperture X due out soon.'

Now, I know there are a lot of rumours flying around but I suspect Scott must have some sort of faith in this. He is well respected in the photographic community and I guess the sort of person that would be spoken to and let into the loop.

Also the naming it of Aperture X would follow with the naming of Final Cuts latest incarnation of Final Cut X.

Thoughts?

2. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I feel that Aperture 4 has been rumored since Aperture 3 was released...

3. jammiefreerider macrumors regular

The name Aperture X suggests a total rewrite of Aperture. Aperture unlike FCP doesnt need a total rewrite unless thats what is required to get it to be as fast or faster than Lightroom.

The 'X' could signify a closer integration with FCP X with DSLRs shoot movies as well. Creation of events within Aperture to use in FCP X...

Ive been watching the Dan Carr tutorials on how to use Photo Mechanic which is all about meta data wrangling. Great application but it does mean you use 2 programs... Maybe with Apple new love for meta data this Photo Mechanic way of working will be implemented into the new release.

----------

Either way I cant wait. Ive been chopping and changing between LR and Aperture for a while Id like to settle down with one or the other. This update will be the decider...

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple doesn't announce or communicate about future products. They do seem to keep up with LightRoom to some degree.

The question is this; will they follow FCPx and remove pro features in lou of consumer features. They already added iPhoto features like faces.

5. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I really hope not. It would force me back into the arms of the hyper expensive Adobe arena. As for "ApertureX" I doubt it, not that soon anyway.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I already switched over to LightRoom. I'm not going to knock or Aperture or be trollish. I liked it, but I felt the editing capability of LR better suited my needs.

I wonder what else they would be adding and would it be sufficient to entice me back?

7. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I agree 100%, but when I became a Mac person I held Windows licenses for Adobe stuff, including Lightroom...They would offer me not one jot for loyalty not one iota of discount. I have never purchased any of their stuff to this day.

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

It's been two years since the release of A3 and I think that has been the average lifespan of aperture versions. Of course Apple works at their own pace regardless of user wants or competitor released. Plus, apple has moved more and more to catering a consumer base instead of professionals who need to have the best tools.

I would guess sometime this year and if not that would be a bitter disappointment especially since Aperture is nicely pried at only $79

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh I know, no matter how much $$ you gave them, they still charged a premium for changing platforms.

The good think with LR is that you buy it you get both windows and Mac. To bad they didn't do that for PS and their creative suite.

10. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

I don't get it. I called Adobe Europe and asked them to switch my licenses to Mac licenses back when I switched.. and they didn't blink an eye. I just had to give them my windows licenses key, which was registered and they emailed me a new one for Mac... that was it...

11. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

12. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

When was this? I got nada but " You have to purchase Mac licences" I had Photoshop too.

13. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

Does anybody think that Aperture might someday be available on the iPad? If the rumored quad core and better screens turn out to be true I would think there's going to be some type of photo editing coming to the iPad.

14. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

I could see releasing Aperture for the iPad, but at the same time I kind of doubt it. I think it's much more likely that we'll see more enhancements to the built in photos app: more editing capabilities and organisation.

15. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Photoshop CS.. the original.. at that time i just asked them to switch it to a Mac license and they did...

16. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I'm jealous....They don't do it anymore...:(

17. The Man macrumors 6502

The RAW noise reduction in Lightroom is so much better than Aperture. I really like Aperture for its UI. I works faster in Aperture compared to Lightroom. But Lightroom gets a cleaner result in the end. So I hope Apple upgrades its RAW processing a notch.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

19. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

But makes me feel even worse...I don't even have the original media....It was years ago! Maybe If I creep? :)

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

It'd be nice to see HDR processing in aperture too, I get fed up of exporting it all and then having to make the HDR's in photoshop

21. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Photomatix has a plugin for that I believe...

22. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Noise reduction in Aperture needs improving for sure. Besides that I don't know how else it can be improved, though Pixelmator support would be nice.

23. thegreatcurve macrumors newbie

Basically, everything listed here: http://theapertureblog.com/2012/02/06/aperture-4

There are also a large number of UI quirks, performance issues and outright bugs that I'd like fixed. Syncing with Facebook or Flickr is notoriously unreliable, for instance. Often, an update to one or more of iOS, iTunes or Aperture itself cause issues with syncing photos to my iPhone — an album's custom sort order won't be respected, say, or its photos will appear in an unpredictable order. And there are still some some functions that throw up a modal progress dialog with no cancel button. What is this, iTunes?

I really hope they don't use Final Cut Pro X's sci-fi UI theme. I like Aperture's tasteful minimalism.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Those would certainly be nice, but I think some are outside of apple's philosophy of how they do things and in the instance of RAW decoding, its not going to happen. Aperture doesn't do RAW decoding but the OS does, so they'll need an OSX update. My point is that come now and not wait for Aperture 4

25. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I don't know, at this point it might be necessary. Aperture is probably the least efficient application I've ever used.

It takes a crazy amount of RAM to keep Aperture happy; even though Aperture isn't using it all, if I try to run only 6 or 8 GB of RAM, the whole program becomes sluggish.

We need a re-design of the UI too. The current UI elements are cartoonish and not very space-efficient. The whole UI tends to waste space. Also, the integration with 10.7 is shaky at best; the full screen mode can get seriously broken if you try to have Aperture locked to a specific desktop space.

That said, I like Aperture and want to keep using it, but we need some changes. If Apple can trim the fat off and increase the responsiveness I'll be happy. The current editing options are good enough for most of my needs, but the performance especially when multiple adjustments with brushing start happening leaves something to be desired.