Aperture: love it? or no?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macnfab, Sep 26, 2009.

1. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

Do you like it? why?

Favorite features? Is it a waste?

Any input welcome!

Thanks in advance:apple:

2. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

3. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Both Apple's Aperture and Adobe's Lightroom are great apps. You can download a free trial of both apps and give 'em a try to see which one you like before considering a purchase.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yep.

Actually, I really do like it - now that I've figured out a workflow which works for me. It's very versatile, so you need to figure what's best for you. Aside from that, it's the fastest way to manage images - picks, keywords, etc. The RAW image handling is powerful, and there are a lot of built-in editing tools (straighten, patch, etc.). All of the modifications to an image are non-destructive and are saved in Aperture's library (which you can back up in one or many Vaults). You can also link to an external editor (PS) for more advance manipulations.

You can download a free trial from Apple - it's good for 30 days and you can buy a license for it anytime. Aperture Trial

edit: I think you might have had a slow reply to the post because the questions were just so all encompassing - Aperture is a "big" application, so it's hard to cover in just a sentence or two.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a sticky over at the Digital Photography forum regarding Aperture vs. LightRoom.

It seems rather evident that you cannot mention aperture with hearing about LightRoom.

I'd suggest OP, that you download aperture (and LR) as both offer trial downloads.

I've used Aperture since day 1, but I've just recently switched over to LR. The reasons for my jumping ship have to do with the editing tools offered in LR over aperture. Aperture has a great suite of tools to organize and categorize the images and its integration with OSX and apple apps is also very nice. I found it very lacking the tools edit my images and its organization structure a bit rigid and forces me into a hierarchical layout that over time, got a bit cumbersome.

Proponents will tell you that that's why apple built in the plug-in architecture - to allow more advanced editing. There's one small problem with that, plug-ins use destructive editing, where as LR provides more tools that are non-destructive.

Finally, I've opted for LR as many of the photographers, I'm concerned that apple's commitment to aperture, especially given the market share.

Take a look at this adobe blog which has some market share numbers Even if you take the numbers with a grain of salt because they came from adobe, the shear difference is stark.

6. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab