Aperture needs a Leopard update?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Reach, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Reach macrumors 6502a

Is it just me, or is anyone else having problems with Aperture and Leopard? Never had it crash before, but now it "unexpectedly quits" all the time..

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

3. Reach thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, did a clean install of Leopard and installed and updated Aperture. Put the "Aperture library" from the old machine in the pictures folder.
    Crashes when I try to go to fullscreen etc.

4. Squuiid macrumors 6502a

Squuiid

Aperture not compatible with Leopard

Same here, Aperture crashes on exit every time. No updates from Apple yet, but Aperture certainly needs one for Leopard.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Did you do an Archive&Install or a clean install and then a clean install of Aperture?

6. BigJohno macrumors 65816

Im not having any problem. Did an upgrade from 10.4

7. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Don't know about an update, but Aperture needs a kick in the butt!

I don't want to hijack this thread but u seem to be hardcore aperture users here (dedicated enough to bring it forward and continue to use). I won't be going to leopard here in nepal soon because it will take weeks, if not months to arrive. I am setting up a batch of NEW mbps and imacs to run a small av studio and we need a media organizer (i even posted another thread here about finding an ACDSEE-like replacement, which everyone here likes and uses). I got aperture, i like it in theory, but here are my problems with it, or it with me:

1. it does not support multimedia
    2. it does not support batch rename of the actual file, or batch resize of the media (or maybe i just can't figure that one out). i need to change more then the metadata, i need to change the actual filenames.
    3. it does not seem to be able to import a folder of subfolders of images from a server to make a project or whatever. looks like you have to that one folder at a time.
    4. it seems to be bloatware if all ya wanna do is acdsee-like stuff.
    5. for the life of me i can't figure out how to add new web gallery templates or modify the existing ones. is that all done outside of Aperture using a web editor? but then how do i get it back in?

So i am wondering if aperture pros can enlighten me somehow. i have to sell this to the rest of the crew as a digital media manager.

I am getting REALLY frustrated as i have looked at a bunch of other mac programs and i am always coming back to aperture as the best choice except for the above shortcomings. Iview media pro was looking good as a middle of the road solution (between preview and aperture) but now seems to be bought up by the evil empire and there is no way i am going over to the dark side with that. just looking at the expressions website i know i am right.

so, what is this poor, and i mean poor, av studio supposed to do. we now have these shiny aluminum macs (wonderful beasts) but no real media management system to speak of...something that will allow quick finding, browsing, marking, and then redistribution all under one roof.
    thanks!!!

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1. It's not supposed to. It's a pro photography app.

2. Assuming you are using non-referenced Masters this does not even make sense: you never see the individual files. This is the way Aperture is really meant to be used: you let it manage the files. If you need files with specific names export them to a folder. During export you can rename the files to almost anything as a batch. This is also true for re-sizing

3. No idea if this is possible. I imagine there is a Applescript or something out there for this.

4. Possibly. It's designed to do more.

5. It's not really designed to support external templates, at least in v1. There are some tutorials out there though.

9. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

What i don't understand is why Apple can't freaking update Aperture to have the same print books and covers as Iphoto.

just to be able to print books directly out of Aperture is a good thing. But Apple stinks at updating it to be able to have more formats, sizes and more to print into.

10. Alican macrumors regular

I can't even get the demo to start. Crashes after the 'do you want to import from various locations type screen'. My leopard is from a clean install