aperture red/yellow/green circles all gray...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by btownguy, Oct 11, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

I'm currently using the 30-day trial of Aperture 2 trying to decide between it and Lightroom. In Aperture, the little red/yellow/green circles in the top-left of the program are all gray - even when the program is in focus. Is this simply because the software is a trial?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No. Aperture tries to maintain a neutral working environment. When Leopard first came out, and there was no option for an opaque menubar, Aperture overrode the transparent menubar when the app was active. It was a bit annoying to have it change (though I personally hate a transparent menubar anyway), but I could definitely see the reason. You don't want a lot of distracting colors in your image workspace. Thankfully, Apple chose to make the opaque menubar system wide.

Anyway, you'll notice all the tool buttons around the browser and viewer are grayscale. When you turn off the inspector and toolbar, everything except the image is in grayscale.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's apple setting a UI standard only to ignore its own rules. Kind of inane to make them all grey.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Well, it's a standard and not - there's an option in System Preferences > Appearance, Appearance. You have the choice of Blue or Graphite. If it's set to Graphite, the entire system would have the gray buttons.

But, yea - they took an exception for their pro apps. I have FCE, Soundtrack and LiveType, and they're all graphite (I have my system set to "Blue"). I'd assume the other pro apps behave the same.