Apex Armor Aluminum iPhone Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jbromer, Feb 26, 2011.

1. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

OK, I searched 3 times before starting a new thread, but there seems to be a new aluminum case out. Apex Armor. Looks thin, tight, and minimal. Also relatively inexpensive. Fits both CDMA and GSM. I just wish they made some other colors...

Of course, the big question is signal quality. Can't find any reviews out there. I might just bite the bullet and buy it, but has anyone seen/heard of/read a review of this case?

http://www.apexarmor.com/

2. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

3. jbromer thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Great, looking forward to your review.

4. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

the logo on this case is meh, doesnt look bad, at first look i thought it was a thinner smaller case but after looking at specks it weights just as much as the vapor and the design looks about the same as far as seperation from the antenna band. signal should be affected.

5. jbromer thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbromer

It can be ordered without the logo. Also, the reason I liked it was that it was tapered on the sides for comfort and it is much thinner on the top and bottom than the Vapor, so should fit aftermarket accessories I would guess. Not trying to be a fanboy, I guess I am just hopeful.

Why do you say signal quality should be affected? Do you mean because the Vapor is and it's the same separating mechanism?

6. sswails macrumors newbie

Seems like another aluminum case that will hinder reception.

7. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

the electron case has the best design i have seen in aluminum cases and it still affects signal a little bit, this case has the same design all the aluminum cases had that killed signals, just saying. it could shock me by not affecting it but i would be really shocked.

8. jbromer thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbromer

That's too bad. It looked like a great design. I guess I will wait for the reviews... This phone is just too beautiful to wrap in plastic. The composites look nice, but my experience with atomic was a disaster. Maybe the Vapor Pro, but i am getting antsy about waiting too long for a CDMA version...

9. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

i would wait for the vapor pro cdma or the e13ctron hybrid in mid march to come out

10. jbromer thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Yeah, that is probably the best plan (sigh). Will be hopeful about a review for this case though...

11. kaikai830 macrumors 6502

The looks of this case is nothing to get excited about. Look very similar to the Alumacase,kind of like a cross between the Alumacase and Vapor.

12. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looks nice! How about making one designed similar to the SGP Neo Hybrid? Rubberband covered by a thin, aluminum bumper? The rubber band would keep the aluminum from touching the antenna, and the aluminum band can be anodized in a variety of colors.

13. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

i have always thought this to be a good idea, it would be cheaper and would hold up better than a polycarbonate piece.

14. Exxtreme macrumors newbie

It's good to see more options for this phone. However, I also think that it will affect the signal somewhat and of course, that's unacceptable for many of us. I'm leaning towards the new Element Case Pro and I'm anxiously waiting on some reviews from it.

15. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Almost all aluminum cases affect signal.

16. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

I'll have a review up soon, they are currently making some batches right now.

17. jbromer thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Cool, are they sending you one? I'm anxiously awaiting your review. I will be buying either this or the e13ctron s4v depending on signal quality...

18. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

i will go out on a limb and say the electron case is better al around but we will see, i also have one coming in and will let you know how it goes.

19. jbromer thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Even better. I have a gut feeling you are right, but I am still looking forward to both of your reviews...

20. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

It looks a lot like the e13ctron IMO.

21. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Let's not jump to conclusions.

22. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

23. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Meh, my money's on it being a signal killer. Kind of plain looking imo.

24. jbromer thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Plain is what I like about it. I want a case that doesn't add anything to the phone. This should look great in the brushed nickel I am guessing. They say no part of the aluminum touces the phone, but I am worried, since the Vapor has the same mechanism.

Again, looking forward to the reviews :)

25. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Out of all the aluminum cases I have tried (some reviewed, some not) all of them affect signal. The Kinetic Case doesn't touch the phone either but it still dropped my signal a few bars. The only case that really doesn't affect the reception, IMO, is the Xcel Case.