Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowyjoey

Suspended
Jan 15, 2012
Thanks, sorry I didn't get an alert for your reply.

What bothers me is how, in High Sierra, I can encrypt a drive myself, save my encryption key, and all good. But try doing that with Catalina, and the installation FORCES upon me an Apple/OS generated decryption key (passphrase). Why is this? Smells like Apple helping government get around the massive problem (for them) of encryption versus law enforcement/mass surveillance. I say smells, because I don't claim it is the case, but I do have a slight concern about it. What say you on this idea? :)

thanks again

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks, sorry I didn't get an alert for your reply.

What bothers me is how, in High Sierra, I can encrypt a drive myself, save my encryption key, and all good. But try doing that with Catalina, and the installation FORCES upon me an Apple/OS generated decryption key (passphrase). Why is this? Smells like Apple helping government get around the massive problem (for them) of encryption versus law enforcement/mass surveillance. I say smells, because I don't claim it is the case, but I do have a slight concern about it. What say you on this idea? :)

thanks again
I've not been forced to use an Apple generated passcode when encrypting disks in Catalina. I think you're seeing a conspiracy where there isn't one. Furthermore, if there were a back door, it wouldn't manifest as an Apple generated passphrase, but would exist silently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.