Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apolloredditapp.jpg
Former Apple intern Christian Selig has released version 1.8 of Apollo, the popular Reddit client developed with Apple's iOS design guidelines in mind.

The latest update focuses on improving the viewing of media. For example GIFs can now be paused and videos play inline with the feed, so users no longer have to tap them in order to see what's going on at a glance.

Users can also save and share GIFs, while sharing in general has been streamlined and improved within the app. For example, sharing the video file for Reddit videos now automatically merges the video and audio stream.

In addition, users can now share a comment or a post as an image by tapping Share as Image, which will stitch together as many screens as necessary. The option also supports sharing image posts, which is useful for posts that would benefit from having the title merged with the image for context.

Apollo's latest update also adds iPadOS 13.4 cursor support, and plays nice with the new Reddit awards system and Reddit Polls.

Elsewhere, there are five new app icons to check out, bug fixes, improvements to viewing comments, and more.

Apollo is available for iPhone and iPad on the App Store [Direct Link] as a free download without ads, with optional in-app purchases available to unlock enhanced features such as multiple accounts, gestures, Touch ID or Face ID authentication, and GIF scrubbing.

Article Link: Apollo for Reddit 1.8 Improves Media Viewing, Sharing Options, and More

Reactions: martyjmclean

Populus

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
This is a great, great app, my favorite Reddit client. However, I guess that because it is coded and tested by just one man, there are still annoying bugs. This latest version introduced a lot of new features which are awesome, don’t get me wrong, and currently it is the most complete Reddit client, BUT I would really appreciate a major release (1.9 for instance) focused on fixing bugs and glitches.

For instance, getting the notifications for some comments and replies fails sometimes. And if you go to the inbox, and you scroll down, some DMs will appear and disappear each time. Inbox is glitchy and I’ve seen the people who post about it don’t get an answer.

However, if you don’t mind not getting notified instantly sometimes (because this bug happens just occasionally), this is by far the best Reddit client. And when the version 2.0 brings it to the iPad it will get even better!!!

chris4565

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
[...] BUT I would really appreciate a major release (1.9 for instance) focused on fixing bugs and glitches.
Yes! That would indeed be awesome. I too experience some bugs e. g. the subreddit icons keep disappearing for me. Nothing groundbreaking but a little bit annoying nonetheless.

Reactions: Populus

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Great app but not worth having to pay a subscription fee just to enable notifications.

You only need the subscription if you want real time notifications. You can get notifications without it. To be fair, providing a real time notification service requires the developer to set up and maintain a server infrastructure to handle it so a recurring fee makes sense.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2018
This is one of my fave apps ever. It's miles ahead of the official Reddit app in my opinion and the fact that there's only 1 dev behind this project makes it even more impressive.

It's so much better than the official client and easily one of my most used apps. It's crazy that it was developed by one person.

You only need the subscription if you want real time notifications. You can get notifications without it. To be fair, providing a real time notification service requires the developer to set up and maintain a server infrastructure to handle it so a recurring fee makes sense.

Exactly. I don't care about notifications and paid a one-time fee to upgrade from the free version. Money well spent.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It's so much better than the official client and easily one of my most used apps. It's crazy that it was developed by one person.

Exactly. I don't care about notifications and paid a one-time fee to upgrade from the free version. Money well spent.

Same. Paid the one time fee up front (works out to about 3 years of subscription) because I liked the app very much and wanted to support the developer as well. This is easily one of the most used apps on my iOS devices and it very quickly pays for itself in terms of utility and aesthetics.

Reactions: MisterSavage

ChristianSelig

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Thank you for all the kind words everyone. 🥰 Really glad you like the update, 1.9 and 2.0 (big ol iPad update) have some really awesome stuff planned too, can't wait to show ya.

Great app but not worth having to pay a subscription fee just to enable notifications.
As others mentioned this is one I wish I could give out for free, but the "push" in "push notifications" comes from the fact it's "pushed" from an external server. Running a server has expensive, ongoing monthly costs and being just one guy and not a billion dollar company I can't just eat those costs and give it out for free or a low fee when it costs me quite a bit, I don't want to jeopardize the future of the app with a poor financial decision. The venerable Scott Forstall discussed the system here for those curious and how it operates on an external server rather than the device to preserve device battery life:

This is a great, great app, my favorite Reddit client. However, I guess that because it is coded and tested by just one man, there are still annoying bugs. This latest version introduced a lot of new features which are awesome, don’t get me wrong, and currently it is the most complete Reddit client, BUT I would really appreciate a major release (1.9 for instance) focused on fixing bugs and glitches.

For instance, getting the notifications for some comments and replies fails sometimes. And if you go to the inbox, and you scroll down, some DMs will appear and disappear each time. Inbox is glitchy and I’ve seen the people who post about it don’t get an answer.

However, if you don’t mind not getting notified instantly sometimes (because this bug happens just occasionally), this is by far the best Reddit client. And when the version 2.0 brings it to the iPad it will get even better!!!
Noted these down, thank you! I've had some reports of these so and I'm working to fix these for the next update. I appreciate you. :D

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I totally agree this is the best Reddit app out there. And each update he’s done seems to add a ton of slick features.

I would also like if he spent more time on fixing bugs and less time adding new icons to the app, but that sounds a lot like the Apple/emoji argument. In the whole scheme of things it isn’t a big deal.

As for the subscription, I paid $5 for pro when that was a thing and then I paid $20 for lifetime ultimate. I’ve sent $5 and $10 tips now and then as well. The dev is pretty awesome.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Noted these down...

Chris - i’m seeing more than normal battery drain from Apollo in this version.

I love the app, and have the paid version. keep up the great work. only a matter of time until Reddit approaches you for a more strategic relationship, so have an attorney on standby 👍

Populus

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
Noted these down, thank you! I've had some reports of these so and I'm working to fix these for the next update. I appreciate you. :D
I tell you this, once this few bugs are crushed for good and everything related with the inbox and the notifications are working in a solid way, I’ll buy ultra, you can count on that.

Thank you for your hard work, and for replying :)

Reactions: Saipher

The Cappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market

Did you file a bug report with the dev's support page? Never assume he's aware of your bug (even if you've seen it mentioned elsewhere in other forums). And even if you're duplicating a bug report, your post might (1) remind the dev that more than one guy is experiencing this problem or (2) give him the critical information he hadn't gotten from the previous one to help him figure out the bug. He might be aware of the bug but be unable to reproduce it. If you like the app, give the guy clear and detailed feedback through the proper channels.

Populus

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
Did you file a bug report with the dev's support page? Never assume he's aware of your bug (even if you've seen it mentioned elsewhere in other forums). And even if you're duplicating a bug report, your post might (1) remind the dev that more than one guy is experiencing this problem or (2) give him the critical information he hadn't gotten from the previous one to help him figure out the bug. He might be aware of the bug but be unable to reproduce it. If you like the app, give the guy clear and detailed feedback through the proper channels.
I’ve written posts and comments on the sub, several times, me and other users. Only replied once, asking me for details, I gave him lots of details with screenshots and a fairly large post, and that post never got a reply... And I understand it, he has tons of mentions daily (many of them useless). I hope he read it, but anyways I was thinking in sending him a DM or an email if it isn’t fixed soon.

Believe me, I would like those issues to be addressed, as it is my main Reddit app.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdogg836
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.