Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

withnail

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
Just upgraded to a C2D MBP, and against my better judgement, I used the Setup Assistant to import my files and apps from my TiBook. One of the oddities I was experiencing on my old machine seemed to follow me. I had been having ".app" show up at the end of any application file in Finder, and the new machine is experiencing this same thing. As an example, it shows "Mail.app", "Safari.app", etc.

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Right click on an app in the finder and then see if "Hide Extension" is ticked off.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Finder->Preferences, advanced tab. See if "Show all file extensions" is checked.

withnail

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
Nope, it's checked for all of them...

Any other ideas?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 84

withnail

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
...nevermind, I found it:

Finder > Preferences... > Advanced > Show all file extensions

Now, I still need to figure why the view settings aren't persistent. It keeps reverting to Icon view instead of Column...

gr8tfly: Ya just beat me to it! Thanks though!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Now, I still need to figure why the view settings aren't persistent. It keeps reverting to Icon view instead of Column...

Mine routinely does this. Even with the "always open in column view" option checked in Finder preferences, I still find it occasionally opening in icon view. Finder is a bit buggy in that respect...I sometimes find that opening a Finder window, switching to column view if it's not there already, and then closing it a few times in succession will temporarily "convince" Finder to respect my preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.