App for improving sound on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flanamac, Jan 18, 2010.

1. flanamac macrumors 6502

I have just the built in speakers however, I know that there is an app out there at that can improve the sound from simply playing something through iTunes.

Any ideas? I have searched the Apple store, but nothing showed up. I found something a while back, but cannot remember the same of it.

Thanks for any help.

2. paulyras macrumors 6502

SRS iWow is probably what you're looking for.

3. flanamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that is it. I remember now. Where is the best/cheapest place to get it?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Have you tried using the EQ in iTunes? (iTunes > Windows > Equalizer) There's a built-in setting for "small speakers", or you can create your own custom preset.

5. flanamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah...have you found that the small speaker setting is that much better than anything else? This SRS iWow program is $29 and seems reasonable if it is rather good and makes a good difference. I mainly listen to lectures, etc... and wanted something that could really take down the background noise and emphasize the best voice possible.

Ideally, something that could analyze the sound and make it the best possible is what I am hoping for.

Further thoughts are appreciated.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try the "Spoken Word" setting. Also, it might be a good starting point to come up with your own presets. Usually, speech would be best in the 1 to 4KHz range. You'll notice that's where the curve peaks in the preset. You can change the rolloff (make the peak steeper) and see what you like. Depending on where the noise is [in the spectrum], that might help reduce it.

I'm not very familiar with the SRS iWow app, but it looks like the main thing is it creates 3D imaging (like SRS surround). If they have a demo, that would be the best way to see if it's what you need. I don't think it does any specific noise reduction.

If you want, you can open your audio file in Garage Band (or other audio edting app - like Amadeus or Audacity) and apply AU effects - which, I believe, include adding surround effects (simulating different rooms - like small stage to large concert halls). You can stack the filters - too many to list here. If you're after noise reduction, I believe you can attack that different ways with the available filters.

The main difference between this method and the iWow app is you need to play the file through Garage Band (you can save your filters as a preset), or apply the filters and save a new copy of your source audio.

7. flanamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Very helpful. thanks a bunch.