iPhone App for managing 'sensitive' notes

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Joe91, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Joe91 macrumors newbie

Morning all,

I'm looking for an app which would require a password/PIN to open - something where I can store work notes such as logins and sensitive data. Just so if the phone gets lost/is being used by someone else without my permission cannot access and see the notes.

I'm not looking to actually save/upload documents like a file manager, something like the iOS Notes app except with a PIN function would be ideal. iCloud functionally to sync with my iPad and MBP would be good too.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

1Password

It's more aimed at password management but it can also store notes.

Can sync via iCloud or Dropbox, works on Mac and iOS.

3. atlawson macrumors newbie

I use data vault from the app store. It lets you store login and bank accounts or whatever else you want to requires a password to enter app.

4. Joe91 thread starter macrumors newbie

They both look good - but bloody hell these apps are expensive.

Are there any cheaper alternatives?

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I use Codebook, as I recall, it was nice and cheap and is basically an encrypted, passworded protected version of Apple's Notes.

http://getcodebook.com/

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Seconded.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Can you really cheap out when you need something to secure "sensitive" data? I think not.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Strip Lite. I gather some of the other apps require a password but do not adequately encrypt files in case they are accessed outside of the app (see this link).

9. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I use Keeper...free as long as you don't mind the request to upgrade every time you log in. Paying for a subscription just removes that notice and keeps your info on their server so it is never lost.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use 1Password for notes and logins and CC info. The encryption is secure and I have the database stored on Dropbox so I can access from Mac or iPhone or iPad.

11. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

1Password all the way. It's secure notes are the second most used feature besides the password storage and generation for me. You can attach TXT or RTF and PDF files to the notes as well. It's expensive but worth it.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Lastpass.

Edit: Thinking about it... A PIN on the phone would accomplish the same thing.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Another vote for 1Password. Encryption done right, meaning it won't be cracked easily, isn't easy to do. 1P is one of the best out there. Highly recommend it as well.

14. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

15. rahysell macrumors newbie

rahysell

16. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I was about to suggest the same thing and don't understand all the other remedies.

Sure, the PIN is needed to start using everything but that can't be a bad thing.

17. jonAppleSeed macrumors regular

Ever give your kid your phone cause he wanted to play that cool game? BOOM phone unlocked, any app can now be opened.

Same thing with clients / co-worker. Show them something cool on the phone, get called away, left them with an unlocked phone.

18. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

No. I bought my kids their own phones and made them pay me back. :)

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Guided Access / Kiosk Mode, but this is off topic. The request was for lost or unauthorized use.

20. Heb 7:4 macrumors regular

Awesome note. You can set individual pins for different folders.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

THIS.

Yes, get Awesomenote. I love that the password protection is by folder, not for the whole app. So I can keep non-sensitive stuff in there too and not having to type in my password every time I access stuff like a grocery list.

But furthermore, WHAT THE HELL is wrong with all the people suggesting 1Password for this? Are you kidding me?

"Hey, I was gonna go pick up a pizza."

"Sure, let's rent a helicopter!"

Come on. Talk about overkill.

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Evernote. Free and can set a passcode. Plus it'll upload your notes to their cloud service for backup.

23. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

By far, AwesomeNote and it'll show as aNote. You can even have different passwords for notes kept in your categories inside. Have to agree with the top two above and there was a recent update also. Once you get into aNote, you can build custom folders and use various types of paper and many other features that no other secure note app has.

24. takeshi74 macrumors 601

WHAT IN THE HELL is wrong with all the people not already using it for its other features as well?

Nothing's "wrong" in either case. If you don't like a suggestion then skip it.