App icons you wish they would change back

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by stevearm, Feb 15, 2009.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Anyone hated a recent app update that changes the home screen button for the worse? Here's your place to request the developers switch back. I'll start...

Jaadu:: Looks out of place. Prefered the original shiny design

Datacase: prefered the standard button design + gloss

Fieldrunners

Now Playing: new one is horrible

2. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Couldn't agree more. I almost want to delete it from my phone, it's so bad... :(

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

4. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Any icon that puts SALE or Win 500 or whatever should never happen. It's annoying when they put an overlay on an icon to advertise something.

5. iFerd macrumors 6502a

My experience with things like this is that the icon that shows up in iTunes contains the advertising message, but the one on the phone itself doesn't. I obviously have not tried them all though. I have had icons that show "Free" or "Lite" on the phone when there is a full version also available, though. I don't much care for that.

6. finalcut macrumors 6502

well, I have no idea how it was looking in the past versions but the actual icon is ugly I agree with you

7. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Jaadu... I coulnd't agree more......!!!

Why on EARTH did they change it?

Its something that the developers obviously overlook and should perhaps ask before changing.

As anal as it sounds i have paid extra for some apps based on the design of the App Icon over some other apps!

I call for a Jaadu Thread to request the icon be changed back to the shiny one!

Who is with me?

8. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm with you, the new one truly is awful.

9. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

I wish you could just change any of the icons/hide some of them and just have the names, but apple won't do that =P

Zym

10. Janglo macrumors member

Aqua Forest: On iTunes, there used to be an icon different to on device. It was cartoony, Aqua Forest-like water at the bottom with Aqua Forest in the Aqua Forest font at the top. On the device it was just a stupid leaf. Now they've changed it to the leaf all round.

Also, Air Sharing when it was multicoloured, not normal Red like it is now.

Fieldrunners.

11. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Add Now playing to the list. It feels like I'm looking at Windows Media Player logo. I don't even feel like using the app anymore because of the trauma.

12. vandlism macrumors 6502

Facebook. The f in a blue square just looks lazy. It's not even the site's favicon! I much preferred the app's original silhouetted people.

13. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

14. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. The old icon has class.

The new one is still better than Movies' goofy blue icon with the popcorn, but I've moved the Now Playing app from my home screen to one of the back ones.

Still, Now Playing is my favorite movie app.

15. petemwah macrumors regular

touch physics! the new logo is absolutely HORRIBLE! the old one was simple but it fitted the style of the game.

Attached Files:

16. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I prefer the new facebook one, the latter one looked messy and unofficial.

The new Now playing icon really is quite ugly though. What were they thinking!

17. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

Super Monkey Ball. The old blue icon used to advertise the app store was so cool. The rainbow new icon is really dumb looking.

18. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aurora Feint 1. DEFINITELY needs changing back.

I didn't buy AF 2: Lite, I bought AF.

19. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

+1

Sent an email to the developer, hopefully he could bring some changes to the app icon nevertheless this is an awesome app, hands down!

20. Metasyntactic macrumors regular

Hi there guys. Glad to see the feedback, it's really appreciated.

That said, a few things need to be mentioned. First off, the icons you are pointing to are not the actual icons on the device. These are the icons you get on the device itself:

[​IMG] and [​IMG]

Now, you may be wondering why i changed the icon. The reason for this was the *unending* stream of complaints i got about the old icon. Here are some interesting stats:

I never got any less than *5* emails a day complaining about the old icon. And usually the number of emails was much higher. My total number of icon complaints was over 5000 emails. *5000*. That was out of a total of 13000 personal emails i got form people asking me to change something in my app. So already, about 40% of the feedback was that hte icon sucked and that people wouldn't use my app because of it.

The feedback included the following issues:
    1) people hated the inverted corners
    2) people hated the red
    3) people hated the lack of shinyness
    4) people hated the 'pizza' on the front
    5) people didn't understand what it was, or what it had to do with movies
    6) people didn't like the graininess
    7) the gold foil effect looked ugly and muddy
    8) people thought it was sloppy that the film strip went outside the border

With that constant deluge of feedback, i decided that i'd had enough and that i'd wrk on something new. With the help of a designer we came up with the film strip ideal (after all, it's very iconic and representative of the movies). I also liked the idea of the countdown timer that you see at the beginnign of movies (also iconic). We put it all together and came up with several varieties that had plusses and minuses. I then put it up to a vote that i sent out to a thousand people that had given me *any* feedback. Of those people, 80% picked this icon. 15% were neutral, and 5% didn't like it. That was far better than the 40% feedback i was getting from people being negative about the old icon.

This variety was chosen because the other options looked too dark or too gray (i.e. they didn't have color), they didn't make sense (i.e. they had the number '5' in the middle which confused people).

Similarly, to keep with the new 'filmstrip+countdown' theme, i changed the background at launch to have the circle with the rotating 'radar' thingamajig.

Since making the change my complaint count has gone down to 1-2 complaints a *week*. (that's 1/5 the previous rate), and my download rate has gone up by 30%!!

So, while i recognize that some may not like the new icon, realize that the change was done on purpose, and that it seems to have been the right choice for my customers and for me.

Also, i hope that if you give it time it will grow on you. If you don't feel that it will, please petition apple to allow app authors to have multiple icons. I will happily provide the old icon again for people who still want it.

I think what i've learned from this is that you can never please everyone. (heck, i've gotten some complaints from people who like the new icon, but are upset that i didn't have it in the beginning!). And that any change you make will make some people upset and make them think that you had no reason for doing it. That couldn't be any further from the truth. I spend a ton of time working and tweaking on NowPlaying, and i only do things because i think it's worth it. Unfortunately, people only see the end result, and if they don't like it, they think it's a crap decision. I'd really like for people to consider that they are not my only customer, and that i have to deal with over 5 million people who all want different things.

21. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Ahh interesting, I guess we're part of the 5% :D

Thanks for another fast response (that was really quick) at least now we
    know why you changed the icon. If it will do good for the majority (especially
    the complaints) then I guess that's fine, I'll settle with it :)

22. Metasyntactic macrumors regular

Or just petition apple to allow theming or to allow app authors to change their icons dynamically (like the Calendar app does). Then this won't be a problem. I'll simply ship both icons in my bundle and allow you to pick which one you like better.

What i find amazing (both before and after the switch) is just how many people seem to care about this issue. I would have never ever guessed that 40% of my feedback would be about a 57x57 square pixel piece of art, versus the tens of thousands of lines of code i've written and the functionality i'm providing and improving upon each day.

23. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

haha I know you are always listening around here, and I'm glad you respond to feedback so quick!

while I particularly don't like the new icon, I still love the app. I'm still using it every weekend :)

But who knows maybe the icon will eventually evolve into something shinier?
    Good work :)

24. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I have to say that I like the old "Now Playing" app as well but after your explanation can totally respect and accept the change! It will grow on me. I like the side film border of the new icon and can accept the center play iconic symbol. I think it is the upper left white corner that makes it too white combined with the white center and purple and yellow just are not my thing. Again, I accept and it will grow on me but would recommend changing the white corner square.

There are two icons that bug me...one is "Custom Sounds of Nature" The old icon was more nature like and professional looking. The new one looks cartoonish and "cheap".

Another one that hasn't changed but I think should be changed is "ooTunes" this icon is also cartoonish and does not look like a streaming live radio related icon. The icon does not fit the app and what it does and I think it would increase sales if the icon fit the app.

I have informed both devs of my opinion so they are aware.

25. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quite frankly, I'm amazed that more people like the new gharish icon with the ugly bright 5 year old colours on them. Is it not possible that after the first batch of 12000 emails about your product, interest when down and people felt less inclined to get in touch? I'd be very surprised if you haven't received email complaints about the latest icon.

Have you thought about perhaps, getting rid of the cut corners (Which I personally like), adding a gloss and maybe a couple of other tweaks to the old design, and putting both up on your site and submit it for voting? Or how about on here?

The old icon said 'the movies', this new one is a strange mix of Flickr and Delicious with a 'play' button on the front.