Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

105526-google_mobile_app_store_results.jpg

Google yesterday announced that it has rolled out a new feature for its mobile-formatted search results pages, offering direct links to App Store and Android Market application listings as part of the results.
As of today, if you go to Google.com on your iPhone or Android-powered device and search for an app, we'll show special links and content at the top of the search results. You can tap these links to go directly to the app's Android Market or iPhone App Store page. You can also get a quick look at some of the app's basic details including the price, rating, and publisher. These results will appear when your search pertains to a mobile application and relevant, well-rated apps are found.
Clicking on a "More results for your iPhone" link under suggested apps will automatically link users to the App Store and perform a search on the app's name.

Google notes that the feature is currently available in the United States, but will be extended to other countries and devices in the future.

Article Link: App Store Listings Added to Google Mobile Search Results

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
So will the iTunes App Store links be listed first or will it be the Android Market?? :D

Or does it only show the relevant store based on your OS?

Comment

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
Cool!

A very cool and welcome feature from Google. Looks like they are throwing a hand of friendship back to Apple.

Comment

Shintocam

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2005
Canada
Like it's difficult to use the App Store Search? :confused:

Well, you are right it is not really hard to do, however, Google's search engine is superior in some ways (deals with misspelling better etc...). But where this could come in handy is if you were not actually searching for an app, but then found out there WAS indeed "an app for that" in your regular search that you were not aware of.

Comment

nwcs

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I'd say it will give the link that matches the device. I think it's a good idea, although I probably wouldn't use it. Just wish Apple and Google would resolve their differences. Stuff is really cooler when they work together.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Like it's difficult to use the App Store Search? :confused:

What if you didn't know an app existed? You wouldn't go to the store to search for something you didn't know about.

Like, if you're searching for "Restaurant Reviews" in google on your iPhone, it'd be nice to learn about some app results at the same time you're seeing websites. That way you can compare the apps to the sites you see and decide what will fill your needs better.

Comment

kirky29

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
This seems almost like a friendly move toward Apple. Good!
I like it when both Apple & Google are 'Close'.

Although, will Google gain any money from this?

Does look a handy feature though, the App Store can't seem to deal with tyops

Comment

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I'm pretty sure this is about Bing or someone else. We all know Google would never upgrade their search!

Comment

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
They can work it out..

The two most important tech companies in my life right now are apple and google. Any news which has them working together to make life easier for the end user is good news.

I know that there is little love for google on this forum sometimes and I'm not always comfortable with the power google (or apple for that matter) have, but until they can be bettered I would rather apple worked with them.

Make love not war!

Comment

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
GOOGLE: So hey, Apple. Does this meant I can call you again? And maybe if you ain't busy we can go out again.

APPLE: I'll think about it. If you stop cheating on me with Samsung, Motorola and that skank HTC. Especially that skank *itch HTC. OK?!!

GOOGLE: Er. Ummm. Can I get back to you on that?

Comment

Atkins

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Tokyo
I know that there is little love for google on this forum sometimes and I'm not always comfortable with the power google (or apple for that matter) have, but until they can be bettered I would rather apple worked with them.
Apple is using their power in a much different way. I am not worried about my personal info with them :)

Comment

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
A very cool and welcome feature from Google. Looks like they are throwing a hand of friendship back to Apple.

Not a hand of friendship. What they are showing people is all the great apps they want on iPhone are also on Android - so you feel better switching to Android.

It's a 'You want that? We got it too!' feature.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.