Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
That's another bullock excuse to Jail-break.

Who gives a **** about background ? I care that my phone and my apps doesn't crash. I care to get the latest apple updates ! I care about my warrantee... then a stupid background wallpaper.

The main reason why people jail-break is simple:

- Free Apps
- Free Carrier

It's all about money... I mean look at china... look at the stats... poor and communist countries are high on iPhone Jailbreaking... Why is this??? Why???

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

A LOT of people jailbreak to add functionality to their devices that is not included. This includes backgrounding, GriP notifications, and other things like that. It does NOT mean piracy or carrier transferring necessarily. Don't generalize a major thing like jailbreaking...

People like you infuriate me with your spreading of false crap.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I love how you all are bashing on Pika, when he is only speaking as an angry developer that is mad about people downloading the apps he worked really hard on for free when he should be compensated.

I assume many of you are not developers, thats why what he says seems silly to you, but as a developer, I can say I agree that pirating apps is wrong, however I couldnt care less if someone Jailbreaks their phone.

Can you guys at least try and see it from this point of view?

*Zips up flame suit, grabs the fire extinguisher, and a bag of marshmallows and a box of grahm crackers. Flame on*

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
The most effective way to fight piracy:

14 days of full versions of the software.

I wouldn't necessarily do a time bombed version, what I would do is set it up that if you delete it from your phone before the 14 days are up, you don't get charged for it, if you leave it past 14 days, the next time that you open it a notice will pop up on the phone that you are about to be charged for it and give you the option to remove it or to pay for it at that time, before you can open it again, along with the price.

polobreaka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
- Free Apps
- Free Carrier

- App store has free apps. are they pirating?
- where did you get the idea of free carrier? i dont know anyone or anywhere that is getting free cell phone service....do you know something we dont know? hmmmmm

Liar

Read this from the website.

Im on OS 3.1.2 and i have 500 apps installed on my iPhone 3GS and none... NONE have crashed on my face.

my JB iphone has been very stable.
how many pages does an iphone hold? 9 i heard? how do you fit 500 apps in your jb iphone? opps..i mean non-jb iphone? do your math pika...

9 pages x 16 apps/page = 144 total apps on all full pages + 4 on your dock = 148

500 apps huh? your phone must be jb to hold that many.

polobreaka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
I love how you all are bashing on Pika, when he is only speaking as an angry developer that is mad about people downloading the apps he worked really hard on for free when he should be compensated.

I assume many of you are not developers, thats why what he says seems silly to you, but as a developer, I can say I agree that pirating apps is wrong, however I couldnt care less if someone Jailbreaks their phone.

Can you guys at least try and see it from this point of view?

*Zips up flame suit, grabs the fire extinguisher, and a bag of marshmallows and a box of grahm crackers. Flame on*

are you saying all developers are against JB? i would like to bet most developers have their iphones JB.

i think you got the idea wrong, we never said pirating is right, Pika stood strong STATING that ALL jailbreakers pirates their apps. which is infact very untrue. Jailbreaking and pirating are completely different.

Most of the jailbreakers jailbreak their phones for more functionality that Apple did not want to provide for us. There are also developers in the JB community that develops apps as well, and i pay for them.

Nyan

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2009
how many pages does an iphone hold? 9 i heard? how do you fit 500 apps in your jb iphone? opps..i mean non-jb iphone? do your math pika...

9 pages x 16 apps/page = 144 total apps on all full pages + 4 on your dock = 148

500 apps huh? your phone must be jb to hold that many.

Actually, I know a rich person with a non-jail-broken iPhone that have 500 paid apps installed and use the iPhone's OS search instead of looking at page to page.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
are you saying all developers are against JB? i would like to bet most developers have their iphones JB.

i think you got the idea wrong, we never said pirating is right, Pika stood strong STATING that ALL jailbreakers pirates their apps. which is infact very untrue. Jailbreaking and pirating are completely different.

Most of the jailbreakers jailbreak their phones for more functionality that Apple did not want to provide for us. There are also developers in the JB community that develops apps as well, and i pay for them.

I just told you. As a developer myself, I am not against JB. I am against pirating, but I couldnt care less if someone/ everyone jail breaks.

I see your point. I think Pika is just very mad, and you guys (everyone bashing him) is just flustering him. I bet he doesnt think EVERYONE pirates. Maybe he does. I certainly dont. I have a few friends with JB iPods and iPhones, and I think they look really cool! Also, they dont pirate.

I agree. JB and pirating are mutually exclusive. A JBer is not a pirate. However, you cannot pirate without JB. But not every JBer is a pirate. Certainly not.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I just told you. As a developer myself, I am not against JB. I am against pirating, but I couldnt care less if someone/ everyone jail breaks.

I see your point. I think Pika is just very mad, and you guys (everyone bashing him) is just flustering him. I bet he doesnt think EVERYONE pirates. Maybe he does. I certainly dont. I have a few friends with JB iPods and iPhones, and I think they look really cool! Also, they dont pirate.

I agree. JB and pirating are mutually exclusive. A JBer is not a pirate. However, you cannot pirate with JB. But not every JBer is a pirate. Certainly not.

He doesn't see it this way or at least that all he says here. That's what I have a problem with. If he's mad that his apps are being stolen then he has a legit argument. But instead he posts that jailbreakers are all pirates and posts lies about jailbreaking. I jailbreak and I pay for my apps. I even pay for the jailbroken apps that people sell.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
He doesn't see it this way or at least that all he says here. That's what I have a problem with. If he's mad that his apps are being stolen then he has a legit argument. But instead he posts that jailbreakers are all pirates and posts lies about jailbreaking. I jailbreak and I pay for my apps. I even pay for the jailbroken apps that people sell.

Yes, I can see where that accusation may bother you. Well, you know he's wrong in that regard. No need for everyone being mad at him.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Yes, I can see where that accusation may bother you. Well, you know he's wrong in that regard. No need for everyone being mad at him.

I guess it's just annoying for everyone to be lumped into one group. On a separate note is your avatar from Bleeding Through's album The Truth?

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I guess it's just annoying for everyone to be lumped into one group. On a separate note is your avatar from Bleeding Through's album The Truth?

I know. Generalizations can suck sometimes. I agree that you are correct: Not all JBers are Pirates.

yarrrrgh.

And yes, yes it is. It is my face photoshopped onto the album cover. :)

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
The bottom looked the same but I was wondering why it looked a bit different. Nice job on the photoshop.

Thank you! I did it 2 years back. Now that I look back on it, I love it for what it is, but I see so many ways I could make it better. I may end up re-editing it, but as a small picture it looks fine.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
One thing I would like to know is the reason people have to jailbreak their phones.

Is it because of the service provider? wanting free apps? etc.

I would love to see a poll on that!

jailbreaking has nothing to do with the service provider (you unlock for that....totally different).

Free apps, IMO, are no reason, since you can get plenty of free apps not being JB.

The main reason is freedom to change your layout on your phone, freedom to put apps that you might not be able to put on not JB, and freedom to background. Mainly it's freedom and not being tied to what Apple says.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
jailbreaking has nothing to do with the service provider (you unlock for that....totally different).

Free apps, IMO, are no reason, since you can get plenty of free apps not being JB.

The main reason is freedom to change your layout on your phone, freedom to put apps that you might not be able to put on not JB, and freedom to background. Mainly it's freedom and not being tied to what Apple says.

This in a nutshell. Problem is, people abuse the jailbreak and add even more reason to why Apple has to have locked down tight iPhone software.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I am going to go out on a limb here.
Since pika is categorizing all jailbreakerd as pirates I am sure he can relate to this.
Maybie pika drinks alcohol and drives a vehicle he is not only a drunk but drives under the influence.
After all one can only assume every that drinks alcohol and drives must be drunk drivers because there can be no seperation.
I have no idea if he drinks or dances naked around jailbroken phones doing some voodoo dance just like he doesn't know if we dress in drag and sing show tunes.

Nyan

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2009
I am going to go out on a limb here.
Since pika is categorizing all jailbreakerd as pirates I am sure he can relate to this.
Maybie pika drinks alcohol and drives a vehicle he is not only a drunk but drives under the influence.
After all one can only assume every that drinks alcohol and drives must be drunk drivers because there can be no seperation.
I have no idea if he drinks or dances naked around jailbroken phones doing some voodoo dance just like he doesn't know if we dress in drag and sing show tunes.

Pika is more crazy than that... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/801474/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.