App Store receiving push notification!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fishmd, Oct 15, 2008.

1. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Maybe this is old news, but I did not see anyone talking about it here in my brief looking. For the past two days, I have been getting App store notifications automatically on my phone when there are updates to apps available. I never used to get this automatically. I would have to go and open the App store application, and then they would tell me if updates were available. Is this a new thing? Anyone else have this happen recently?

Just thought I would put it out there.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Mine have always been "pushed"…

Perhaps you just never noticed it before?

3. fishmd thread starter macrumors 68000

fishmd

Maybe, but I could have sworn in the past I always had to open up the App store application to see if there were updates available. That was one thing that I hated about the app store on the iphone. I never got the notification automatically. I do know that I have always had "push" turned on, so I don't know.

Anyone else?

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've never gotten them either.

I suspect that this push feature has been active for quite some time, but Apple is still testing it and will only announce it to developers when they're sure it works.

Perhaps part of this testing phase is to try certain parts of it with certain segments of the population?

5. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Mine sure haven't been pushed. I had an update yesterday and it did not. Come automatically until I manually pinged the app store

6. fishmd thread starter macrumors 68000

fishmd

That is what I am trying to find out about. Hopefully this will mean that it will be announced and finally available soon. :)

7. DigMe macrumors 6502

Mine are not being pushed either. I have to open it...sometimes the little red dot that indicates updates will not immediately show up but it will show up a minute or two after I've left the app store.

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well maybe I am seeing things then.

I only open the App store when I see the little 1 or 2 etc… I never use the App store (on my iPhone) except for updates.

I'll take a screen shot next time.
    :eek:

9. mutantblack macrumors regular

mine doesn't. Only look for the update when I open the appstore.

10. firewood macrumors 604

Mine does. I have push turned off. Haven't used the App Store app on the iPhone itself lately. Yet still wake up in the morning and occasionally find a new numbered badge on the App Store icon. So someone is pushing information to my iPhone overnight.

11. macdim macrumors 6502

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Do you all have Mobile Me push cal/email/etc updates turned on?

Perhaps the info is coming down piggybacked on your MobileMe channel.

Or the Springboard goes out once in a while and looks for each app.

13. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

It's done this for me several times over the couple of months that I've had my iPhone.

I'd say it just goes and checks periodically.

14. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Ive noticed it started being pushed for the last 2 weeks. Maybe it just added, or maybe i just never had app updates.

[​IMG]

15. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

never happened to me, i always had to open the store app. btw i have mobileme for the person who was asking.

16. Amt macrumors regular

17. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Not working for me. I opened the app store yesterday and had two updates, but it never told me until I pressed the icon.

18. ZGXtreme macrumors regular

ZGXtreme

I too noticed this today but thought nothing of it until I discovered this thread. I am not a heavy App user so I rarely access the iTunes App Store. Even less often do I access the store from the phone.

Today, without opening the store I noticed the red bubble with the "2" notifying me I had two pending updates. All previous times I had to update I found out either by opening iTunes on my laptop or actually opening the store on my phone.

I am not running any software or services such as MobileMe, etc.

19. milani macrumors 68000

milani

That is what I was thinking. I only notice I get updates when I actually open the App Store application. But, I believe on at least one occasion I have gotten an update pushed to me while I was not using the application. Not sure though.

And just to clarify, I've been getting the red bubble since I got the phone, what I think the OP is talking about is the number of updates (2, 3, in my case 31 :p), changing inadvertently (or more accurately, via push) while you're not actually in the App Store application.

20. Jinkst macrumors regular

I've noticed it comes through without me opening the App Store if I've plugged my iPhone into my Mac, so effectively, iTunes is telling the phone there are updates available.

Only two or three times has the phone told me there is updates available without me opening the store or connecting to the computer.

And to answer someone's question, I don't have MobileMe so it's not just coming through with emails from the server when it does happen.

21. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  22. iSimon macrumors regular

Never had the app store pre-emptively notify me of app updates - I always have to look for updates myself. Mind you I have push set to off (as I only have gmail as email) - do those of you who have seen this behaviour have it set to on?

23. andothfc macrumors regular

What good is a screenshot of this? So you've got a notification of an update, the whole point is the process by which you got that - a screenshot shows nothing.

I've never had a push notification of a new app update.

24. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

ditto for me too

25. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Same here. I have to manually open the App Store in order to check for updates. Had a couple updates this morning and they weren't pushed to me.