Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
So yeah, to answer a couple of questions, I was not refering to the little red number that pops up next to the app icon inparticular. I was refering to the fact that all of a sudden over the past week I have been having this appear on its own when updates are available, much like mail or SMS do. I never had this occur before I am positive of it. I would always have to open the app store and let it run to check for updates. I would not get an automatic notification like I do now.

And FWIW, I got another one this AM. Yes I do have push on as I have an exchange email account I use for work, so maybe that has something to do with it. However, other here claim they do not have this on and they are getting notifications as well. So I don't know what the answer is. Maybe it is like someone else suggested and it is Apple testing out the push notifications in a relatively "small number" of people. :confused:

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Just a thought, in the settings for "Fetch New Data", I have the "Fetch" bit set to manually, and I never get "pushed" updates. Do the people who are getting "pushed" updates have this set to "Every * minutes" or something?

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Mine has sometimes done it but sometimes they don't show up. I check through itunes on my Mac once a day for new updates anyway.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
Just got an app update notification pushed to me. Connected to wifi, not connected to my computer, push turned off. I never use the app store app on my phone, but I glance at the icon and I've never seen an update notification get pushed like this.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
same here, i read this thread a couple of days ago and did not think about it. i just figured someone opened the app store app and it ran on its own after closed and found an update, but my phone just out of nowhere, for sure i did not open the app store app and it showed a badge telling me of an update....

shadownddust

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
This actually just happened to me, and apparently has been happening to my girlfriend's 3G intermittently as well. I was actually staring at the icon when a red number icon popped up, and lo and behold I had an app update. This definitely didn't happen before, as it was part of my morning routine to check for updates. I think this would be a great feature to have standard, or at least the option to turn it on.

cridiron

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Here's some things I have noticed...

1) If you restart your iPhone and there are available updates, when you turn it back on, the badge will be there.

2) If you install or update anything from cydia, when you close cydia, the badge with available updates will appear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.