App Store updates being pushed???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deimos256, Jan 14, 2009.

1. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Starting sometime during the day today i have noticed the red notification icon for the app store on two different occasions, both times the icon has showed up without me ever entering the store, which would lead me to suspect the updates are being pushed? Perhaps a move to further test push?

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Are you talking about on iTunes App Store on your Mac/PC?
    (this scenario actually happened to me, while I was browsing the app that had an update)

Or

iTunes App Store on your iPhone/iPod Touch?
    (happened when I was playing with Beejive and it popped up an update on App Store)

3. DEAN616 macrumors member

i noticed on my touch and my iphone the same thing. was wondering too if this was new.

4. Ifone macrumors newbie

Its a curious one, I experienced this a day or two ago, woke up in the morning and I had a red "1" on my app store button showing I had an update... I think I've had it happen once before too.

I put it down to the fact that sometimes when I visit the app store and check for updates it can spend a long time saying "connecting to appstore" and I generally press the home button to quit if it's taking too long. I thought perhaps it continues checking in the background and would display the update that way when it finally connects....

5. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

My phone has been doing this for a LONG time folks.

6. deimos256 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes i mean app store on my phone not pc, and last time i was on the app store was this morning, and i downloaded an update, then while at work i noticed another update without ever touching the app store, so i updated and havent touched it since, and found another notice bubble for xplane, i have a feeling this could be a test for push servers perhaps

7. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

YES! it happened to me too, today. I had 2 updates

8. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I don't think so. If it's as they're describing, it hasn't been that way in the past. One needed to launch the App Store app at some point in order to get the badge. Once launched, the badge will stay there until reboot or update, though.

I haven't launched App Store on my iPhone in some time and have restarted since last launching it. Just a moment ago, there was no update badge. I then just launched App Store and, suddenly, I have one pending update. So, it's not doing anything for me that it wasn't already doing (showing pending updates without launching App Store).

ETA: Maybe I needed to launch the App Store at some point after restarting, but the updates could show up days later. If that's the case, then that is indeed a new feature.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Not working here. Before opening App Store on iPhone: no badges. Then I opened it to check for any updates. Unfortunately, I had an update waiting in there for me that I would not have known about if I didn't actively seek it out. So, no push for me yet. :(

Update: OK, so I had my push turned off. I will place it back on and see what happens over the next day...

10. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

You guys are getting pushes for updates? Ive been getting this ever since i got my iphone. This is nojthing new.

11. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i had something similar happen to me, but i discovered that mine would check for updates (i believe) when i synced it to my computer.

i have not had any real push updates, i still have to go back into the app store to look

12. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

Me too. I've had them pushed to me for a month or so. Maybe some of you have push turned off?

13. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I have pushed turned off, and my App Store updates were pushed :confused:

14. firewood macrumors 604

Same here. I go to sleep with Push turned off, and wake up in the morning to find my iPhone's App Store icon showing a numbered badge.

It's been doing this since when I got it last summer.

I think this is why they say it's dangerous to have an iPhone 3G without a data plan. It seem to go out on the data network to talk to Apple on its own.

15. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Well, all I can say is, mine has been exactly as they describe for quite a while now.

I unlock my phone, and I would look at my App Store Icon, and there would be the white 1 with the Red Circle.

And I didn't go in to the App Store first.

16. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Only see the update when i go into the app store and check updates manual, but i'll keep an eye out.

17. Acronym macrumors 68000

it has been doing this for awhile it would seem rather simple to have the app check and see if its up to date with its provider if the app version number doesnt match then it says it needs an update.

thats how i see it

18. MacKinvan macrumors newbie

You have email push turned off, since it is the only push service that apple has available. What everyone on here is talking about is the possibility of an "application" push. They are two separate things. Incidentally, my app store has not been updating unless i access it.

19. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I didn't think about this other possibility, but I actually sync to two different instances of iTunes.

I wonder if it happens when I sync to the instance on my computer, which I just use for contacts, calendars and pictures? (I use my wife's computer for music and apps because we have a lot of imported music on her computer as well as our iTunes account.)

That could explain how mine got the notifications??

But the one thing I know for a fact is, I get those notifications somehow on my phone without going in the app store on the phone. I never go in the app store on the phone.

20. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Haha. :D I started this exact thread like 2 or 3 months ago as the same thing started happening with my phone too. But as time has gone on, I realized for whatever reason it is very hit or miss. Sometimes it works and other times not. I don't know why this is. I will have notifications pop up on their own at times, and other times, I have no notifications, but when I open up the app store on the iphone to look for some new apps or something, it tells me there are updates available.

:confused:

21. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The app store icon has been showing notifications (without launching the app store) of application upgrades since at least October 2008 (2.1?). It is probably just a process that runs in the background on a set schedule. Once a day or whatever.

I doubt it's push. Why go through all the trouble of maintaining a connection to the server when a simple cron job would work just as well?

22. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

You're probably right. Setting the server to "push" updates once a day would be a lot more reasonable because app updates are not exactly time sensitive materials. This would also save a lot of energy (money).

23. deimos256 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i would agree with that except this happened more than once yesterday, i would guess that perhaps apple is testing push this way and perhaps its not keeping the switch for the servers on, so to say, and only testing it intermittently

24. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Well you guys must have some sick iPhone's because mine never pushes and push is enabled. I don't use mobile me, and I rarely access the App Store on my iPhone. When there's an update, iTunes tell's me and I update from there and I never see the badge on the App Store icon unless I go into the store.

25. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

If you don't use MobileMe, what are you expecting to be pushed?