App that Apple really should create

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cameronjpu, Nov 6, 2011.

1. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

Why isn't there an app on the iPad for creating (physical) photo books? My client asked me if this was possible today, and I realized I had no clue. He has 20 hours on an airplane coming up, and he says on his flight home from this trip, he would love to be spending the time going through the photos he took and creating a photo book, which he could then order when landed. It doesn't seem that this exists, though we were mainly looking for one through the Apple printing store rather than shutterfly or the others, as he prefered that. Does anyone know of an app that allows this?

Just to repeat - he has a couple hundred pictures on the iPad, he'd love an app that allows you, offline, to create and prep a photo book for printing. Thanks!

2. goMac macrumors 603

3. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Keyword: Mac. Not iPad.

4. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Update the Cards app for iPad as well as iPhone/iPod touch
    Photobook creation app (as in iPhoto)
    Aperture
    Replace photos app with iPhoto app

5. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I was wondering this the other day as well but maybe they are just testing how people manage with photo editing for cards. Lot more involved doing a photo book compared to a card.

6. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I still don't know why the Apple Store app hasn't been made for the iPad.

7. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes it does ;)

Anything on the iPad?

----------

Wait, that was a lot of nouns and a couple verbs, but I'm not sure what you're actually saying. Can you be more clear?

8. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Looks promising, though the reviews indicate it's not so good. I wonder why Apple isn't more focused on this? Certainly compared to something like the Postcard app - I know a TON of people who order those photo books these days. It would seem to be a killer app for Apple, giving people a great reason to have the iPad out on long plane rides doing something that makes Apple money.

9. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

iPad Apps I think that need to be created:
    1) Where am I - Tells you where you are
    2) A screensaver App

10. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I too would love this.
    We are thinking of getting rid of our cheap PC laptop and using the iPad full time where we'd use the laptop…problem is Shutterfly and Snapfish both use Flash. I wish they had an iPad app or even Apple for creating physical photo books.

I could load my photos on the iMac in the basement and then my wife could make books upstairs/at work on the iPad.
    I think the screen is mighty big enough for this. The HP app doesn't look to be that polished.

11. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Why don't you make it then. Could make yourself a few quid aswell.

12. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I assume that in order to link into the services provided by shutterfly or Apple, you would need to be affiliated with them. Also, I don't program, so that's kinda a killer. Plus I don't know if anyone would pay for it, but clearly the company making the photo books would sell more if people used an app like this.

13. Defender2010, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I don't see what is not clear...

Would you like me to tuck you into bed and read it aloud?

I stated, in English (not that full sentences were needed in order to understand what I meant, perhaps I overestimated my audience) that...

1. Apple should update their Cards app for iPhone so it is universal and works on iPad- natively!

2. If you ever used iPhoto on a mac you may know you can create beautiful books of your photos to gift to friends or family (or yourself), the quality is excellent and it is not too expensive to order one. I want to see an app version of this on iPad.

3. Aperture for iPad - no explanation needed, feel free to speculate yourself what this may be like!

4. iPhoto for iPad - scrap/update the current photos app and make it iPhoto - which does a lot more.

I hope I cleared up any "confusion" Crystal? :confused:

(As the title of the thread is "app that Apple really should create" I think my answers are appropriate)

14. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow, talk about rude.

I see where the confusion came though. You didn't read my post, you just started your own post, which is why it made no sense. I wasn't inviting comment from others about what app they thought Apple should create, I was asking a question about how to create a photo book on the iPad. So while you did a GREAT job replying to the subject of the thread, you didn't do much when it comes to replying to the actual first post. You might notice that every other reply on this thread answered appropriately, though, except you.

And yeah, your post was really hard to understand. You have to understand that people out on the internet are not privy to the private thoughts inside your head, so when you post, you should include all the words in your head, not just the last couple words of each thought.

15. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

You could layou photos in Keynote or Pages and later on a Mac export those as PDFs and have those printed in a book. I sometimes layout photo books in InDesign in order to get just the format I want.

The app I'd like to see is one that links my iPhone and iPad so that if I leave my iPad behind in a restaurant or office the iPhone will alert me.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Long time Apple enthusiasts know that Apple builds what Apple wants.

They tell us how its going to be.

If you read other posts in this forum, you'll find a massive amount of people who love that approach. It absolves them from the drudgery of thinking.

17. Defender2010, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Actually I did read your post......and answered appropriately. Not all the posts addressed your initial post either, read back and you will see.

Secondly, there are no rules on how detailed posts need to be, so get off your high horse. A child could have understood what I meant by my first post. Perhaps you should learn to title your threads properly in the first instance.
    Anyway, I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you. I hope your "client" gets to sort out their photos.

Is this post satisfactory? You said everyone else answered appropriately:

iPad Apps I think that need to be created:
    1) Where am I - Tells you where you are
    2) A screensaver App

Please get your facts straight before you attack me! I don't want to play a game of cat and mouse with you, so good luck finding out whatever it is you want to hear. Over and out.

18. nordicappeal macrumors regular

nordicappeal

I can't really figure out a program that is missing that Apple should do :)

19. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I don't care if Apple builds it, but I can't believe none of the dozens of websites that offer photo books don't have an app for it yet! And only a couple even offer print ordering through their app. These seem like no-brainers to me. If Walgreens can let me order prints, why can't Snapfish? And shouldn't it not be too hard to convert their Flash-based photo book sites into apps?

20. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Exactly porcupine8. That would have us ditch our laptop for the iPad full time.

21. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

It will not be hard to develop such an app; my guess the margins are so low that the 30% cut Apple wants to have for all transactions make it not competitive enough. Not sure if the only reason but might factor in.

22. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

So Does Apple take 30% from all "in app" purchases?
    Perhaps a way around this would be to buy "credits or tokens" on the main site, then use the app to create the book and "buy with credits" that way Apple doesn't get the 30%.

Heck, even if they switched from Flash based to HTML5 that would be great tp just use their website on the iPad.

23. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

that's why even Amazon had to change its Kindle app and remove the link into their web store ...

24. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage