App that turns off or warns when cellular data is about to be exceeded.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pcunite, Dec 6, 2010.

1. pcunite macrumors member

I have the iPhone 4 and only the 200mb data plan. I keep cellular data turned off but it would nice to use it occasionally. The risk of forgetting and going over, or a background app gobbling it all up and thus a bigger bill scares me.

An app that turns off automatically or warns when cellular data is about to be exceeded would be great. Any such app exists?

2. pcunite thread starter macrumors member

Just found a program called DataMan, I'm looking into it.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ask your carrier to be sure but i think all carriers send out a text when your at 80% of data then again at 100%

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

"Data counter", keeps track of your data usage, and you can see up your billing cycle and it will show you how close you are to your cap, but I don't think it does Notification just yet, you may want to check it out.

5. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

AT&T automatically sends you a text message when you're close to running out.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

you can use the AT&T app to keep tabs and for when you are getting close to your limit they should send you a txt telling you about it...

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I would not relay on this, At&T system update is not real time, they update twice a day if you are close to the limit and start watching Netflix you can easily pass your cap before the SMS notification is send. Just an FYI

8. geko29 macrumors 6502

If you're on the 200MB plan (as is the case here), you can easily pass your cap in a few minutes with Netflix even if you haven't used a single byte previously in the billing cycle.

I'm not sure, but suspect the OP isn't watching Netflix with his phone. :p

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Agreed, but my point was just to express that AT&T warning system is NOT real time, so if you want something that will tell you the moment you pass or get close to your cap, them that is not the way.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the OP stated they usualy have Data off so that only states they a cautious about how much Data they use, they 80% warning will come with plenty of warning the 100% warn might come a few MB too late but the 80% one should do what the OP is asking

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I didn't know you were so close to the Op that new exactly what he does and wants to do. All I said is that AT&T system is not real time, if for any reason he stop a 79.99% and them decided to download a youtube video, the notification won't come on time.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

do you really think someone who keeps cellular data off when not using it goes on you tube?

its better to respond specifically to the OPs post using the info they give then to give a generic answer

all im saying is when people give a proper answer to the info the OP states dont go around making it look like the wrong answer to make yourself look like king know it all,

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The fact that you don't like me or my reply does't make it less true, I answered the OP question with an App, and them let him know that the AT&T system is not real time, I don't see where I am trying to look like I know it all. The fact the OP have data off most of the time doesn't mean that he doesn't use youtube when the data is on. You are the manipulating the info in order to create an argument (not sure why) based on an "assumption" of the OP usage.

But if that make you happy! ;)

14. pcunite thread starter macrumors member

The reason I have cellular off is 'cause I'm scared! When I'm out and about in the city I want to do some lite web browsing and using MotionX GPS. I noticed the other day that one navigation session used about 3mb. I know I'll forget to turn off cellular data so I want an app to warn me, and better yet, turn it off automatically!

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

no worries from me since I didn't feel you corrected me, but added onto my info :) OP the AT&T app is usually between 1-2 days late on the info, but is still good to keep overall tabs!

You can pay 2GB for the first few months and then if you feel you are not using more than 200MB, you can always downgrade to the 200MB plan AFIK... If you have Data OFF then you are missing out on some great features that make it worth it having an iPhone, besides worrying everyday for it...