App to stop texting while driving

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2ndchancephones, Sep 9, 2011.

1. 2ndchancephones macrumors regular

Hello,

I am sure I am not alone with this problem. I was curious if there is a good app for an iphone that will prevent my teenage daughter from texting while driving? I have seen a good one for Androids and Blackberries that uses the GPS signal in the phone.

Thanks!

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Hmmm...I don't think any 3rd party app can control Apple's default apps (ex. Messages, Safari, Mail etc...). Also, if it determines her to be driving just by GPS signal, wouldn't that be a problem if she's just the passenger in the car & wanted to text?

3. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

I am all for this if they are driving, but how does the app know they aren't a passenger in a car, train, bus, etc?

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Never heard of an app that does that for any phone. Can you post a link to the Android or Blackberry one? I'd like to check it out.

5. Reach9, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

right here

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Stop...-and-BlackBerry-phones-with-ZoomSafer_id15701

It's called ZoomSafer, and what it does is that it halts the OS to use email and sms features if the person is in motion.

I want to see how successful this app is, because theoretically it sounds good. But practically, it can be very flawed.
    Think about it this way, what if you're walking and your GPS connection stutters? Because the GPS can easily give improper signals.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

In Mass we have an app that discourages texting, or even talking on a hand held phone, if you are under 18 years. It's called the State Police. :D ;)

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Kids! :cool:

Here's a link to a video AT&T made to warn young (and old) people about texting and driving: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=2964. Since the last time I looked there is a new app on that page:

Download AT&T DriveMode --- Edit: Darn. It doesn't look like it's available for the iPhone.
    Curb the urge to text while driving with the AT&T DriveMode app. When enabled, the app sends a customizable auto-reply message to incoming texts*, letting your friends know you're behind the wheel and will reply when it's safe. Watch how AT&T DriveMode works.

Of course, being a good role model is key (not an accusation). :) I'm reminded of a co-worker complaining that his newly driving son drove too fast in parking lots. It reminded me that my-coworker also drove too fast in parking lots. :D

Edit: Oregon also passed a "Driving While Distracted" law and the fine is pretty steep. Maybe $278 US or so.

8. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Unfortunately, there isn't any app in the App Store which has such a feature. iOS is a closed system, which means that 3rd party apps don't have enough control over key iPhone features, so that they could turn it off.

I would think that the best app would be, good parenting. And plus, it's free! I believe if you have taught your daughter not to text and drive, and showed her why it's bad, and if she recognizes that it's dangerous and a crime. Then she won't do it. It's important for teenagers to be informed about these issues, and made the right choices, such as not succumbing to peer pressure.

I believe RIM wanted to use their BlackBerry's GPS signal to point out the rioters in the London riots. Unfortunately, a GPS signal is not always exact, and innocent people in the area, could be targeted by the police this way. Which is why it wasn't successful.

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Assert the role of the parent and make her stop texting while driving, explain the dangers of it and tell her to be a responsible driver, she can kill somebody and be killed herself

As a last resort, teach her how to drive stick if all fails

10. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

That's a really good link.

The sister in the video thinks it's her fault, i can imagine why she feels so bad. But it definitely isn't her fault.
    It's the people who can't put the phone down, who need to see the meaningless text, it's their fault. And teenagers need to learn from this, and not do stupid things to this level.
    And i hate this just as i hate drunk driving.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Even in Mass it's a real problem. I live near a high school, and I'm careful not to be out walking in the hour after school lets out. Trying to cross a street, even at a marked crosswalk, is very risky when the kids have just left school.

Trying to stop them is futile. I'm sure that if one of them runs me down while texting that my wife will sue the kids' family for every cent they own. And of course it's probably vehicle homicide too.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Self Control

Seriously, that's it. Humans have a hard enough time accepting our mortality, and teens just don't get it. Understanding responsibility in a huge step in getting there, make your kid pay for the aforementioned car, insurance, phone, plans, and associated costs and it will help, once you have ownership of something you tend to be more conscientious when you use it.

13. 2ndchancephones thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies for those of you trying to help. To all of those who want to judge me and my parenting abilities can kiss it...REALLY? Where do you get off telling me how to parent....freaking jerks.

14. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

It's not so black and white... but IMO.. in a "perfect world", I see your point... however the world is not perfect and I think this is a bad idea.

15. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

The OP can tell her about the dangers all they want, but they can't shadow them 24/7. How many of us did exactly what our parents told us?

Did you have a drink underage? Ever experiment with drugs? Have - :eek: - sex?

It's easy to backseat parent, isn't it?

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

17. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

18. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Many won't like this comment - but some people just worry too much.

Applications can't always be the solution. How about common sense, responsibility, etc. Asking for things like this scares me.. it can lead to over control. An example.. I can't change my factory navigation in my Z while driving... even a PASSENGER cannot. It's just dumb. This could go the same way.

I'm also a person that thinks drunk driving laws are a little too harsh - but I have valid reason (which would take a LONG time to explain). I think they invoke on rights. Too much to get into .. but basically .. there is no way to guarantee you are not driving over the limit, except to not drink ONE drop of alcohol. Even if you have your own breathalyzer - it does not matter.

I think some things have gone too far and I also think much of it is for MONEY, not safety... unfortunately.

19. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I live in LA, so I see idiots texting, or doing whatever on their phones, all the time.
    And it annoys the hell out of me. When you're in bumper to bumper on the 405 during rush hour, or flying at 80 mph on the 710 during a non-peak time, you're reaction time is not going to be able to compensate for that distraction.

We are so obsessed with being in touch on our little devices, we can't just set them down for even an hour.

I have one simple rule, when I am in the car (and I am driving a lot for work), I don't look at my phone. I plug it in, pick a playlist, and drive. I can answer a call without even looking at it, and it plays through my speakers from the AUD jack. I can listen and I can talk. But texting...? Stupid. And pointless.

So the OP is worried about their daughter texting while driving. Simple fact of the matter is, adults need to stop making stupid decisions, too.

20. Reach9, Sep 9, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Well i'm sorry if we've offended you, but speaking for myself. I was never trying to judge you or your parenting abilities, just pointing out what you could do, because an app like that is unavailable in the App Store, since there aren't many options.

Because lets' face it, you can easily turn that app off, especially if it stops her from texting while walking, due to GPS interference.

Now i'm judging you, looks like your ego was too big for our comments? Sorry that you got offended.

21. vebs macrumors regular

Just keep her in the basement, Austrian style.

Seriously, the best way is just to give her good advice and hope she listens and does the right thing. Forcing restrictions, especially on teenagers, never really works.

22. tann macrumors 68000

You confiscate her phone the first time you catch her doing it, that'll teach her!

23. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

The best app for this is the brain. Use it and you wont lose it!

Seriously, texting while driving is rediculous and anyone caught should be fined $200 and have their phone smashed on the spot.

24. Applejuiced, Sep 9, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Maybe they should put out a common sense app on the appstore:D
    Then maybe install the Dont drink and drive app, dont do drugs app, dont hang out with the wrong people app, always wear your seatbelt app, the dont have sex app, and all kinds of other apps on her phone so you can controll and monitor your daughter 24/7.
    Then the OP is giving us an attitude for stating the obvious. Really?:rolleyes:

25. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

There was an add in Skymall for a device that connects to your phone via Bluetooth and plugs into the OBD-II. If I remember correctly it was able to have a few numbers that could be called while driving. May be worth looking into