app/window switching in SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pdpardue, Sep 6, 2009.

1. pdpardue macrumors regular

did the way that you switch through open windows change in SL? usually I hit ` to switch through windows and  shift ` to go backwards through the list. Now it seems though the window order isn't being followed correctly.

Lets say i have 5 open windows starting at 1 hitting ` takes me to window 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 then 1. typing  shift ` would take me to 5 then 4 then 3 then 2 then back to 1.

Now though, under SL it seems not to follow that very simple design rather if I start at one and page through to say 3 then start again it jumps back to 1 then to 2 then to 3 and then finally to 4.
    Is anyone else experiencing this?

http://www.paulparduephotography.com

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It appears the cmd-tab list is now in-order of last used. You've always been able to cmd-tab once to switch between the last one used and the current, but now [in SL] the list also gets reordered (left to right; newest to oldest).

3. pdpardue thread starter macrumors regular

is there a way to fix that?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Not that I know of, unless there's some hidden plist toggle.

I know this doesn't answer the cmd-tab list question, but I just offer it as an alternate way of switching between apps:

I generally keep whatever window I'm using open, then use Spaces to switch apps (or combination of Spaces and Expose). Common apps like Safari, iTunes and Mail are set to open in a fixed Space. If I'm going to use an app for awhile, I will open it in its own empty Space. I have the UL corner set as a hot-corner for Spaces, so it's very little mouse movement. There's probably a keyboard equivalent to do this, but haven't looked. Even when I'm using the keyboard and not mouse, it's just a flick of the finger on the trackpad to get to the screen corner.

5. pdpardue thread starter macrumors regular

i uses spaces a lot for applications, but I'm talking specifically about in application window switching. I might have say 4 windows of safari open and I switch through them because i prefer(ed) it to using tabs.

right now I have macrumors, yahoo, and apple open in that order to illustrate a point. I'll ` over to the next page in the list which would be yahoo, and pre SL if I ` again i'd go to the window with apple.com. Now though in SL if I tap ` again it'll take me back to macrumors instead of what I'd like it to do in taking me to apple.com.

6. fireman13 macrumors 6502

Gr8tfly,
    command + the directional pad allows you to switch spaces on your keyboard.

7. fireman13 macrumors 6502

Gr8tfly,
    command + the directional pad allows you to switch spaces on your keyboard.
    edit: you probably already knew this. I'm not sure of a short cut.(sorry for the dbl post)