apparently yahoo doesnt like the new iphone....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by montecarloss919, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

You mean some guy named Christopher Null doesn't like the new iPhone. :rolleyes:

2. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Yes I saw that too. It's hard to take him seriously when he's complaining that 8gb isn't enough, and that 16gb is barely adequate, when I don't think I've ever seen another phone with 16gb built-in, and only a couple other phones even have 8gb built in, correct me if I'm wrong here..... So I wouldn't pay too much attention.

3. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

if everyone here would stop looking through their iphone "fanboy" glasses, they'd realize, those complaints are actually legit.

add to that copy/paste as well.

this iphone is just a refresh.......NOT an update.

4. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Ooops sorry, duplicate post. Not sure what happened there. Anyways, yes it's the same old complaints trotted out again. One by one they will be picked off, although the complainers will always find something.

5. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

It is also anoying to hear him complain about the no replacable battery issue. The iPhone has been out for a year and I have not see a mass of postings about dying batteries so far. My stupid Krazor needed a new battery every 6 months. I still cannot tell if my iPhone battery has degraded at all.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I don't even use yahoo email anymore. This guy has some issues with Apple's 3G iPhone, but seems to be stealing his complaints from other techies. Nothing we haven't heard before, and clearly never owned an iPhone. And "Yahoo Tech" should be considered an "OXYMORON," right? LOL :p

7. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

isn't that what all the version 1 iphone defenders said too? "just wait, those updates will come..."

yet, apple never fixed copy/paste, never added video record, etc....

it'll be the same thing with the 3G....people will buy it and say "apple will fix it".

8. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

they don't say anything that isn't true - but they don't say anything I would NOT buy the iPhone 3g for!

9. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

Could not agree more.

10. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I love how the complainers lable anyone that defends the iPhone in anyway a Fanboy and assumes that they are completely blind to everything. Another typical troll argument on the internet. Gotta love it.

11. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

That's the crux of the matter really. The iphone 3G is what it is.. if like it like that then buy it. If it's missing a feature you need then don't.

Two things that don't make sense are:
    1. Not buying it then whining about it on blogs.
    2. Buying it and saying 'apple will fix it' when they've shown no inclination to do so, then whining about it when they don't.

OTOH I've been guilty of #2 in the past myself from time to time..

12. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Spot on - buy it for what it is - not what it might be!

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually some guy of whom you've never heard before, named Christopher Null, was too lazy to write his own article, so he summarized points made in an article from some other guy, of whom you've never heard, named Brian Caulfield, from Forbes. The latter individual is doubtless right now creating a new blog called Fake Christopher Null, which everyone will read in spite of not having known or cared who Real Christopher Null is, because they have such a love affair with reading crap. ;)

14. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

wow, you just summarized the whole internet community. i mean, don't we all here pretty much read regurgitated things from people whom we never heard of?

no reason to dismiss his article any more than our own here at MR.

15. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Is there some newswire service where lazy journalists get access to 'vanilla' articles on any and all subjects which they then just 'tweak' a little so that it doesn't look like a cut and paste hack job.

Next on the list, after MMS and video app have been released on July 11th, will be the lack of a task manager....

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes! It's a wonderful world in which we live. :eek: :D

I was responding to a post responding to the OP's contention that the blog is indicative of Yahoo's position.... just demonstrating how far removed from being a Yahoo press release it is.

And certainly, yes, most of the complaints relayed in the article are ones that have been discussed and taken seriously at length here at MR.

17. Garrett macrumors regular

Seven iPhone Problems

Seriously, wtf?

Also, he says there is 7, but I only see 6. :eek:

1. The data cost isn't made by :apple:
    2. The camera's quality isn't determined by the Megapixels, you think he would know that. They only put huge MP's in phones to edge people towards them. Who is going to want a 8MP on a phone? To go to weddings and do their photography? :confused:
    3. Quit the bitching, I doubt people really have had to replace the battery. The only reason for that is if you don't have access to a charger. Although nowadays there are Car chargers, airplane, charge in wall, what more do you need? I like how he throws this in: On the other hand, this shouldn't be a surprise considering that Apple is now actually making laptops without replaceable batteries, too.
    4. MMS, somewhat problematic, but I never ever needed to use it or had a need to send one.
    5. Ok, Live TV wtf? The only people that could benefit from this is the people from the US, for unlimited data. It's not smart to put this in a phone where it will only cause problems.
    6. The size, psh, I have 62 GB of music, and I am just fine with making a Smart Playlist that goes on the phone.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/96283

I could be in the wrong, but I think this guy just hates :apple:.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm more concerned with the "credibility" of CN, since most of the article is developed around someone else's complaints. If they are someone else's claims, then CN is only duplicating those claims without clarification or modification of what each claim asserts. Since CN's claims are not his own, this influences my perception of the claim, making his reputation minimal and undeveloped; the most important part about CN is the requirement to develop his credibility, but that never happens. Basically, CN is using another person's credibility as the grounds for his argument, and in the real world we demand more than just associative credibility of another. IMHO...

19. ManUtd08 macrumors member

i just read this article and couldn't disagree more. The thing i found most ridiculous is the 8MP camera thing....isn't that a bit over kill for a phone?...when i buy a phone i am not buying it for the camera....that's what a nice digital camera is for...but whatever

20. Roller macrumors 68020

There are a few valid points in the Forbes article, particularly the lack of cut-and-paste and voice dialing. Unlike the situation with the original iPhone one year ago, though, the SDK will allow developers to fill some of the gaps. I'm looking forward to July 11 to see how that plays out.

21. witchdrash macrumors member

For me, I have a 16gb iPod Touch and found the face I have to limit my music improving my listening, can now shuffle without spending 30 mins skipping tracks.

MMS is debatable, I can see why it isn't included, but it should be so you can accept, but it's always been flakey and more and more phones are becoming e-mail ready.

Front facing cameras are another gimmick, lots of my friends, and I have owned phones with them, only used for novelty value rarely.

No video recorder & poor camera , a shame, but hardly seriously negative, again only used occasionally, if you're out to take serious shots you bring a camera, a phone is, for at best, quick snaps when you're out and about.

TCO in the US looks like a pain, in the UK it has got cheaper (If I remember the old tariffs correctly), which is nice.

They are all valid points raised, but they don't make or break the iPhone in my opinion, it does what it sets out to do very well, it fails at what it doesn't do, well it doesn't do it. It's arguable whether or not they are required features for a phone these days, but if you need a phone that mms and takes 8 mp pictures, the iPhone is not for you, there's plenty of choice in the market, and the fact the iPhone does a few minor things badly, or not at all, hardly detracts from the fact it does everything it sets out to do in a far better manner than any of its competitors..

22. iRebecca27 Suspended

iRebecca27

I laugh when I see what they post about the iPhone on their home page.
    They are just jealous =]

that is why apple.com is my home page

23. xploit macrumors regular

MACRUMORS banned me because I responded to harsh criticism of from several users asking that I get banned for saying the iPhone 3G IS BUDGET. IT IS BUDGET! The phone is clearly just a refresh at best repackaged in cheaper materials and marketed to the masses. Nothing really to be excited about.

X-

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That reads like a load of hooey.

First of all, it's not a review. It's "waah, this stuff isn't there." Problem is, he kinda slants it a good bit.

From what I have heard countless times, the iPhone can't have any more storage at this time. I'm not sure about this, but I'm pretty sure the flash used in iPhones is better quality than the stuff in flash drives. If not, I hope my phone's storage is around 6 months from now!

The quip about the battery is so damn stupid. First of all, I assume he's talking about the MacBook Air. Oh my, some ultra-compact notebook doesn't have a user-replacable battery. Take it to an Apple Store, get it replaced, quit yer bi%@#ing.

There are problems of course. But EVERY PHONE MADE has fallbacks. Anybody want to talk about the lesser OSes on all the other phones? That's more important than the stupid megapixel count on a camera. Oy.