Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
Here's what I get...

Guang Dak'ua the full plate computer obtains the Apple Computer order form

¡ö Reporter Lin Chenmei the ¨u Taibei reported

NotebookComputerThe main item broadly reaches strives for a big plant order form again next city! It is reported, Guang Da recently obtained Apple Computer first section to match 15 …¼ kneading boards plates computer order form, will produce goods to the next year first quarter; After this is Guang Daching carefully appraises, for the first time cross full plate computer domain.
Since last year, the apple notebook computer generation of labor merchant has appeared the quite big change, is valuable including the PowerBook notebook computer by Guang Dachuan toward the kernel. The outstanding person the Chungli workshop will sell to Hua Shuohou, the iBook notebook computer order form flows to, also deeply studying with a master will focus attention on; This Guang Dahuo the Apple Computer plate computer order form, becomes the field hot topic of discussion once again.

Since broadly has reached computer this year transport business performance extremely studying with a master to focus attention on, this company first quarter earning 552 hundred million Yuan, a same time last year are larger than growth to surpass six tenths, the first quarter notebook computer produce goods the quantity also to surpass 200 ten thousand, surpasses the kind treasure, England industry reaches, Hua Yu assembling.

The field public figure believed that, Guang Dai high occupies the market main item throne, still could have so astonishingly grows, this year the earning easily will surpass original estimate 2,,000 hundred million Yuan, challenged 2,,500 hundred million Yuan.

It is reported, Guang Dawei the apple generation of labor plate computer, will be industry jieshou matches 15 …¼ kneading boards the plate computers, in addition, this plate computer also will match the keyboard; The market public figure pointed out that, the Apple Computer will push the plate computer not to emphasize the kneading board and the keyboard will separate function, but will be emphasized its notebook computer will have the input type kneading board the function.

At present the global ten big personal computings brands industry center, the idea has Huipu, Toshiba, macro ?, Fujitsu, NEC, the Czechoslovakia prestige and so on industry releases the plate computer, the kneading board by 12 …¼ and 14 …¼ primarily.

Although Microsoft pushes the plate computer in the global strength, but because the plate computer selling price is higher, did the product make a reservation still not to be clear about and so on the factor, whether the field public figure initiates the sales upsurge regarding the plate computer in the short-term still to have the different view; In the brand industry center, Dell has not still released the plate computer, IBM also emphasized this company on has released the similar function product in many years ago, but the market response is not certainly warm.

In the domestic notebook computer generation of labor big plant, is valuably most positive by the kernel to the plate computer, for beautifully discusses one after another Motion Com-puting, the association and the Czechoslovakia prestige generation of labor plate computer; Guang Da, England industry reaches, Hua Yu and so on is immature take the market as the reason, positively invests the plate computer generation of labor domain by no means.

Because looked like for a long time, the plate computer still was the future market important tendency, therefore Guang Da, England industry reaches the interior all to point out, the correlation researches and develops the production technology to be already mature, has the ability to begin the actual production as necessary.

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
I really have a hard time believing that a "cry of a crane intestines" as the article says, will be featured on this PB.... This just goes to show you how unrealiable these rumors are... I mean really, aren't cranes protected??? And their intestines could only make a wet, sloppy mess...

Unless they are dried...

And really, how much is in a "cry"??? Is it anything close to a "gaggle"???

Next they'll be saying it will have a 970! Crane's intestines are more believable!!!

osmium

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2003
here comes a Hong Kong guy!!

the summary of the article is that the chinese company is making a industry first 15 inch tablet pc for apple

i am making a full translation of the article, plx wait a moment

osmium

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2003
plx someone make a proof reading for me plx. sorry for the "not so good" english
and some of the company's name may not right
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guang Da get a order from the Apple Computer, stepping into the tablet PC's market

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The leader in notebook computer industry, Quanta, got an order from the leadering computer company! As the info we got, Quanta recently got an order from Apple Computer inc. in request to produce Apple's first 15 inches LCD tablet PC, and going to send them out to apple in the first quarter next year ; this is the first time Quanta join the tablet PC industry, after its long consideration.

Since last yr, there is a great change in Apple portable computer's OEM, including that the Powerbook is now made by Yan Bo, which made by Quanta before. And the change of order after Jing Yin selling its plant to Asus is also remarkable, and shocking the notebook computers' industry. This time Quanta got the tablet PC orders may shock the industry again.

Quanta's performance this year is so good, shocking the industry. Quanta earns 552 hundred million taiwan money in just the 1st quarter, a 60% raise compare to last yr's 1st quarter. They made 2,000,000 notebook computer this period, much more than the amount that Yan Bo, Yan Yi Ta and Wa Yiu made totally.

People in the industry think that Quanta is now at the top of the taiwan notebook computer industry. Having that 60% increase, they estimate Guang Da will earn 2.5 billion taiwan money, much more than their pervious estimation.

From the info we got, the Apple tablet PC will be the world frist 15 inches one, coming with a key board. A person from the industry state that the key board cannot spreate form the main body,(osmium remark: the screen part, i think) (or: it get the spreation system, but Apple will not make it as an selling point) but it will still get a touch screen.

the remainings have no relation to apple tablet or Quanta, just something about the view point to tablet pc of other company

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
a 15 inch tablet?...wait ...arn't tablets supposed to be ultra portable? a 15 inch tablet would be huge???

osmium

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2003
ya
it's what the article said

and the article is provided by a famous financial newspaper in Taiwan

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
Maybe next 15" Aluminium PowerBook will have touchscreen or drawing capability with electric pen?

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
New iBook?

Maybe next 15" Aluminium PowerBook will have touchscreen or drawing capability with electric pen?

Or it might be for a new iBook. Think about schools where students dont use books or paper, just an iBook tablet. Kind of like the eMate but ALOT better and actualy usefull. I think that is one place that a tablet computer might come in handy.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
A little obeservation from my lightpen days: using a pen on a vertical or angled screen gets VERY tiring VERY fast. Simply adding a pen to a screen that's attached to a notebook in the usual way doesn't sound likely to fly.

Apple surely has SOMETHING in mind for Ink... I guess time will tell what.

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
I've also found another article regarding this rumor:

DigiTimes

Apple Computer plans to launch a wireless display for a desktop system, according to sources. The display is said to resemble a Tablet PC in appearance and include a detachable keyboard but not have a battery. Whether it has handwriting recognition or any screen input capability is unclear.

Taiwan?s Quanta Computer will contract manufacture the product and has begun test production, sources said.

The Chinese-language Economic Daily News reported today that Quanta had landed orders for a 15-inch Tablet PC-like device, with shipments to begin in the first quarter of 2004.

Apple declined to comment on either story.

Sources added that the wireless display PC would be targeted at home users but be reasonably priced to avoid the fate of the flat-panel ?new iMacs,? which were thought to be too expensive by the market.

A 15-inch new iMac was launched in January 2002, but its sales quickly peaked in March and April of that year, when production reached 10,000 units a day. Combined shipments of 15- and 17-inch new iMacs currently exceed 30,000 units per month.

Sources added that Apple still plans to launch a 19-inch new iMac. Quanta is the contract manufacturer for all three new iMacs, sources said.

It just gets more interesting by the day :)

James.

Foxfire

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2003
If true, I imagine it will be a successor to the current 15" Powerbook, with a screen that rotates and flips so you can use it in tablet mode, kind of like the "convertible" version of the tablet pc windows notebook. I think of Toshiba. With the current Powerbook being only 1" thick, it's actually thinner than the currently available Asus and Toshiba models, approaching the thickness of "normal", slate versions of tablet pcs. It is still a notebook, just with an optional, added functionality.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Sounds like perhaps smart display too?

Perhaps this is the "smart display" (e.g. wireless, letting you access your desktop machine from anywhere) that I had mentioned and asked about last week?

Billy_ca

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2002
???

How can something be wireless, not have a battery, and work all at the same time?

Is it solar powered?

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
wireless

Disregarding the lack of battery, I think that a wireless display is the natural progression of technology - I could totally see a bluetooth or (is this possible? I doubt it) 802.11b (or g) display. Apple has always been trying to get rid of wires - sounds good to me.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Well, with all the vagueness and gaps in translation, this new thingy could be anything.

To me, it sounds more like an iMac replacement than a truly portable tablet PC. It could simply be a new iMac with a wireless keyboard.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Thank you Osmium for that translation! If you hadn't been kind enough to do that for us we'd still be debating the finer points of crane intestine integration with the new powerbooks. Cheers! :)

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: wireless

Originally posted by pEZ
Disregarding the lack of battery, I think that a wireless display is the natural progression of technology - I could totally see a bluetooth or (is this possible? I doubt it) 802.11b (or g) display. Apple has always been trying to get rid of wires - sounds good to me.

Is a wireless display even possible? Is it possible to convert VGA or DVI signals into something wireless, like bluetooth? I've yet to hear of such a technology.

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
beeeyooowwww - beeeeeyooowwww

Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Wireless Display without a battery? What do you have to do crank it? :confused:

No, no, it runs on a special macrumors reality distortion field. simular to the jobs reality distortion field but, makes readers believe they can run a quad 980 tablet mac with simply Mac OS X (tabby) and the cold sweat of thier hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.