Apple $200 Replacement iPhone Policy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Petey-ed, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Petey-ed macrumors 6502

I assume everyone knows about this policy now with Apple where if you bring in a damaged iPhone they will replace it for $200. I was just wondering if anyone knew how many times they would do this? Once? Infinity? Obviously you are giving them your old phone, so you're not selling the parts or anything....

2. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Not sure about your questions but I think this policy is pretty generous.

3. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I don't know the answer for a fact, but I'm guessing there's no limit. Whatever is wrong with your iPhone (broken glass, unresponsive screen, etc...) it will cost Apple less than $200 to fix. In the end, they're still making a profit.

4. Dandrews524, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i know this is an old thread that im dragging up but i figured i would use it, otherwise id get bombarded with angry posters getting pissed at me for starting a thread on something there is 1,000 of, so just bear with me please.

i recently jumped into my cousins pool with my iphone 4 in my pocket, obviously this was an accident, and i plan on going to the apple store and im expecting to have to pay $200 for a replacement since apple care does not cover water damage. now my question is does that $200 get me a brand new iphone 4, or just a refurbished unit that is in good condition? what have people that have been in a similar situation received?

5. smacman macrumors 6502

It will be a refurbished phone. Usually these phones are indistinguishable from a new phone so you will likely be pleased with your replacement.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Thanks for the info, underwear.

8. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

that is totally cool with me. ill be happy just to have an iphone that works. plus my current iphone has a tiny gash on one of its corners from leaving it on my lap when i got out of my car. lesson learned: Incipio Feather cases are not worth the money lol

ps. i swear i am not as clumsy with my gadgets as these posts make me sound. this is the first time i have ever had a major issue with any phone i have had going back to the mid 90s

9. fender57 macrumors 6502

What happens if you modded your phone? Will they still replace it for $200?

10. err404 macrumors 68020

Apples use of the term refurb is a bit different than other companies. If there are any signs of wear, the shell is usually replaced. Think of it as re-conditioned.

11. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

in what way?

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Now that was funny!:apple:

13. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

this is going to sound stupid but if i take my water damaged phone in to apple, and pay 199 for a refurb, will i have to give them my water damaged phone or can i sell it to help offset the cost?

14. mms13 macrumors 6502

Sometimes, if you get a nice genius, you can get a free replacement.

My girlfriend dropped her phone and glass was cracked all over the phone. Took it into Apple Store and they gave her a brand new phone for free.

15. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

say i didnt have a nice genius, would i have to give back the broken phone?

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

policy is Apple will take your water damaged phone for parts plus $199 you get a working refurb in exchange. If your lucky the genus may the $199. the best way to have this happen is just be honest tell him you weren't thinking. pretty much expect to pay the $199 but hope for the best. good luck! I have never heard of the giving the customer the refurb and there water damaged phone.

17. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

so i was extremely lucky and had an incredibly sweet apple genius. i went to the apple store in victor, ny, and was helped by the nicest girl named Karen. she swapped my water damaged iphone with a refurb that looks spectacular, at no cost at all. i am so impressed with their customer service there that i will remain a loyal customer for years to come. they could have easily made me pay $199 but they didnt. this could have been a really expensive mistake.

18. Tatiana0506 macrumors newbie

What exactly did you say to her that she just gave you one? I dropped my Phone in the toilet it fell out of my back pocket I immediately put it in rice... I unknowingly had extended warranty that covers water damage but a friend told me he knew how to fix it so I let him try and he couldn't I then realized I had the warranty but it was too late apple could tell the seal had been broken. I was told that apple could fix it for 30$/h plus parts do any of you think it's worth it or should I just do the 200$ swap? Also is it only 200$ for an iPhone 5s?

19. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Broken screen on my iPhone5S. Apple won't replace the screen so a refurbished ran $269. plus tax.
    It was $295. out the door.

(Was hoping for anything other than 7.1 yet at home realized it was 7.1. . . was sad until I learned today a new jailbreak was introduced for it!)

20. Tatiana0506 macrumors newbie

Why jailbreak your 7.1 ? And are you satisfied with the refurbished Phone? One more question did apple give you new headphones and plug too or just the Phone and did u have to give back your headphone and plug?

21. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I thought that they did repairs rather than replacement unless the phone is structurally damaged, like a dent interfering with replacing the screen.

22. aristobrat macrumors G5

The post you're asking about was written in 2011, before Apple came out with AppleCare+. Back then, the Geniuses had more leeway in doing free iPhone repairs/replacements. Since AppleCare+ came out, you don't seem to hear about that happening as much.

I've never heard of Apple doing "parts replacement" for an iPhone that was water damaged.

$269: iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5
    $199: iPhone 4s
    $149: iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, Original iPhone

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

23. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

They repair the iPhone5 yet not the iPhone5S as stated to me, due to the home button.

24. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Ah... A bit of a surprise to me but I guess that works out...

25. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

I dropped mine with case on, made Genius bar appt, and got new phone at no cost. Invoice stated $269 as mentioned by other posts. I was just honest with Genius and he hooked me up. Not sure if new 5s is refurb or not but I don't care. New phone that works perfectly at no additional cost = extremely happy iPhone owner.

Also - I did NOT have AppleCare.