Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I think the expression you might be reaching for is "let them eat cake."
i think he was referring to the expression "you can't have your cake and eat it" meaning you can either eat your cake or you can hold onto it, but you can't do both. If someone does "have their cake and eat it" then it means the were lucky enough to get what they wanted without having to give up the thing they didn't want to...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Judging by all the job openings for engineers in Cupertino I'd say they have a problem getting and retaining talent.

Is this different than other tech companies? I just did a job search at Microsoft for software engineers located in the USA. Query returned more than 500 results.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Is this different than other tech companies? I just did a job search at Microsoft for software engineers located in the USA. Query returned more than 500 results.

Might be the same. Try refining your search to Redmond Washington and see what you get.

I refined the search and MS is looking for 142 engineers in the Windows division in Redmond.

That's a lot less than Apple in Cupertino with 589.

This is just software engineers.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Might be the same. Try refining your search to Redmond Washington and see what you get.

I refined the search and MS is looking for 142 engineers in the Windows division in Redmond.

That's a lot less than Apple in Cupertino with 589.

This is just software engineers.

I filtered on software engineers, not Windows specifically.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
A defeat of a "Human Rights" committee? What's that say about the way shareholder's view of rights of the people?

Shareholders aren't people, they're single celled amoebas that require profit for sustainance.

----------

That's really for the country in which the workers are employed's job. Apple aren't the UN.

The most they can really do is put a bit of pressure on Foxconn.

Thats true, they are much more powerful.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
There has never been a better time for Apple or anyone to go private. Massive credit capacity in both the company and the market. The market is awash in $10T of "excess liquidity". A $500-600B LBO would be trivial to fund and insignificant for Apple to service and even liquidate with its cash flow.

Rocketman

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
No matter how ya slice it - Watches and TVs aren't new categories. Maybe new to Apple. Not to civilization.

+_2acc5a8841f8752904d37f90a8014829.png

Yes Apple is going to create new categories that have never been heard of anywhere.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
I go back and forth on the secrecy front. Part of me wishes Apple would be a bit more open with what they're working on just because they need some good PR right now. Google's done that with The Verge, letting them have a sneak peak at Glass and letting them do a feature on UI design at the company. Another part of me says screw it, let the products speak for themselves when they're announced. And I think back to last year and how it was a bit of a letdown just because so many things leaked ahead of time and the keynotes had no real surprises.

I still think Apple does need to do something on the PR front. Every day seems to be an onslaught of negativity. Most of it is not based in reality but often times perception can become reality and that's what I think is happening with Apple right now and part of the reason the stock is in the doldrums. But I see no evidence that Cook or Schiller have any plans to counter any of this negativity.

How do you counter negativity? Not by trying to sooth the media. For them, it's just Apple's turn in the barrel.

Best is to maintain the roadmap and strategy in place, acknowledging the competition, internally anyway, but keeping future products dark to the world.

As for Google Glass, a million years of primate facial muscle evolution says the market is niche. A watch on a wrist, on the other hand, is widely acceptable; still a niche, but at least a large niche.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
i think he was referring to the expression "you can't have your cake and eat it" meaning you can either eat your cake or you can hold onto it, but you can't do both. If someone does "have their cake and eat it" then it means the were lucky enough to get what they wanted without having to give up the thing they didn't want to...

I really do get the reference. Perhaps you didn't get mine.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
A defeat of a "Human Rights" committee? What's that say about the way shareholder's view of rights of the people?

It says, "Dear Apple: Stay out of politics, world affairs and quit taking sides in issues that have nothing to do with the business at hand. Just make us money."

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
No matter how ya slice it - Watches and TVs aren't new categories. Maybe new to Apple. Not to civilization.

1. If Apple doesn't make it currently...it's a new category for them.

2. Cell phones weren't a new category either. We saw how that turned out for Apple and the others.

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
This new building looks exciting if it's anything like the mock-ups - probably meaning identical to them. Can't wait to see the finished product!

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004

Not new for Apple is obviously what they mean. Nobody but you inferred it meant new to civilization. When the iPod cornered the market there were already many prior competitors. Apple stole the show. We'll see if they can steal the "TV" or "Watch" market. On the bright side for you, if they do something great you'll be able to give more negative feedback on Macrumors. :)

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
FWIW, I voted against reelecting him as a director not because I disapprove of his performance but because I believe a CEO should not simultaneously serve as a board member. I always voted against Steve Jobs for the same reason. (At least Tim Cook is not chair of the board)

That's a fair rationalization. Being the CEO of the company as well as being a member of its Board of Directors (which has the responsibility of hiring and firing the CEO) seems like too much power for one individual.

Imagine if President Obama held the office of both the President as well as a member of the Supreme Court of the United States. Way too much power in the hands of one man, I agree.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Not new for Apple is obviously what they mean. Nobody but you inferred it meant new to civilization. When the iPod cornered the market there were already many prior competitors. Apple stole the show. We'll see if they can steal the "TV" or "Watch" market. On the bright side for you, if they do something great you'll be able to give more negative feedback on Macrumors. :)

Hah! the Apple-bashers here on MR are already dishing negative feedback and ranting on Apple's yet-non-existent iWatch and iTV products. They are ahead of the game! :D

----------

1. iTV
2. iWatch
3. iCamera
4. iGlasses

Wanna know one sure-fire way for Apple to pi$$ off Google into a frenzy?

Apple intentionally leaks that they also have a team of engineers working on virtual goggles (just like Google Glass).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.